Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tag06 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 10:18 PM
    Puppy won't poop outside every time we put her out
    My 5 month old puppy will not poop outside every time we put her outside, she goes out and pees and sometimes poops but most of the time she poops inside, even if we leave her out for hours at a time. Plshelp to figure out what is wrong
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 03:34 AM
    You may have to go out with her and walk her around a bit. At that age, they still don't have a lot of warning or control of bowel movements. Walking or other exercise, fetch will do fine too, stimulates the body leading to bowel movements. When it happens, praise her. For more on knowing when to take her out, see https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 4, 2007, 04:55 AM
    Agreee exercise her and get the bowels moving, Also begin crate training her, i.e... leaving her in the crate until it is time to go out and potty... A good rule of thumb is 30 minutes for every month of age is how long they can hold it before needing a potty break..
    A 2 month old can wait an hour, 4 months old 2 hours etc.. Up until a year at which time they should have sufficient control...
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 03:35 PM
    I didn't see this post. Please pardon me paws, but I really don't think timing his potty break by a rule of thumb is the main issue here. It sounds like the dog is confused about where it needs to do his business. Tag06, for some reason your dog is not making the connection that he needs to do his business outside. So, you need to think about how you are approaching it and change the way you are handling it. Watch your dog's signals. If she starts sniffing around and/or circling she is looking for a place to poop. Labman stated it, but I think it needs to be restated, you must be with your dog outside. Exercise her, and watch her carefully. Praise her every time she does her business outside. Follow the rest of the info provided on labman's link for housebreaking. It is just a matter of being patient and ensuring your puppy makes the connection between pottying inside and outside, before you can just "leave her outside for hours at a time". Dogs just don't automatically pick up that urinating and defecating are to be done outside only. They need us to teach them that.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Puppy with blood in poop [ 9 Answers ]

I have a 9 week old poo-tzu, lstnight he woke up to go to the bathroom more than usual. This morning I noticed his poop was kind of runny, and looked like there may be some blood in it. Anyone know why this could be happening?? :confused:

Puppy won't poop outside [ 8 Answers ]

I just bought a six month old miniature pinscher. I have read that they are stubborn to housebreak. When I take him outside all he does is sniff around and eat bugs but will eventually pee. When he comes in, he sometimes poops within 5-10 min. I have even cought him squating and picked him up...

New puppy won't stop breathing weird. Won't poop either. [ 5 Answers ]

I just got a new puppy yesterday afternoon. He's 8 weeks old, and came from a farm. We brought him home, and the whole time he was breathing weird, like he's grunting. He slept throughout the night OK, but when I got up and took him outside, he peed but was whimpering the whole time. (I think that...

Puppy poop [ 7 Answers ]

Does your dog or puppy's poop turn green (dark green) when they have eaten grass? Mine has eaten a lot of grass in the garden the last 2 days, and today her brown poop was half green.:confused: :D

Help! My poop puppy [ 9 Answers ]

I just recently adopted my dog a German Shep. X. from the local humane society and for the first four days she was great. So much energy. Now she won't eat a thing and keeps throwing up early in the morning. She is still pretty playful but you can see that she is tired. I brought her the vet and at...

View more questions Search