Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shovelwielder Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2004, 12:57 PM
    Linux/Windows XP Uninstalling
    Can anyone here give me help in uninstalling Windows XP and installing Linux? My friend told me to get Linux because it's much better, but I'm having a hard time uninstalling Windows XP (Professional). Giving me steps to instaling Linux would also be a help me a bundle.
    psi42 Posts: 599, Reputation: 13

Aug 13, 2004, 07:21 PM
    Can anyone here give me help in uninstalling Windows XP and installing Linux? My friend told me to get Linux because it's much better, but I'm having a hard time uninstalling Windows XP (Professional). Giving me steps to instaling Linux would also be a help me a bundle.
    Just boot from the linux cd. The installer will allow you to delete windows xp and create the necessary linux partitions. It will take care of it.

Installation instructions depend on which distribution of linux you are going to install...

Welcome to planet penguin :)

~psi42
    Shovelwielder Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Aug 13, 2004, 11:35 PM
    Well, I'm not really sure which one to get... So many options :o Can you tell me which one is based for a casual gamer that doesn't have knowledge of computer programing?

Aug 15, 2004, 11:18 PM
    Re: Linux/Windows XP Uninstalling
    Well, I'm not really sure which one to get... So many options :o Can you tell me which one is based for a casual gamer that doesn't have knowledge of computer programing?
    Hmm... well...

Personally I run slackware, and love it. But it requires you to "get your hands dirty" so to speak, to make things work.

If that's not your thing, I'd say try SuSE. It's pretty easy to set up, but still has the power and stability needed for professional use. The reason I don't use it is that I don't like having to bend over backwards for the package management system to work properly.

Fedora is having issues right now, I wouldn't use it until they are fixed. Mandrake, as usual, is having bug issues.

But it really depends on who you ask.

If you want some (read: SOME) of your windows games to work, you'll need to buy transgaming's wineX...

:)

~psi42
    alexsur666 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2004, 12:34 PM
    Why is Linux so much better??
    Does it improve anything ir what?

I've heard a bunch of people saying that linux is better than WIndows but I still don't get it why

Sep 4, 2004, 01:08 PM
    Why is Linux so much better??
    Does it improve anything ir what?

I've heard a bunch of people saying that linux is better than WIndows but I still don't get it why
    Here's a nice site:
    http://www.biznix.org/whylinux/

A nice highlight:
    ]
    Linux has no Registry
    When Microsoft introduced the Registry in Windows 95, it was applauded as being a mechanism that brought order to the chaos of the Windows 3.X "ini" files. At the time, we had no idea that the Registry would be such a handicap and get in the way of effectively managing networks of Windows machines. The Registry makes managing a Windows machine complex and difficult and is known to be responsible for some reliability problems. In retrospect, the "ini" files were not so bad now that we've tasted the Registry. Linux is managed by simple, plain text, easy to troubleshoot, configuration files.
    You might also want to look at http://www.linux.org

Have a nice day.

~psi42

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Uninstalling my Xp [ 20 Answers ]

Hello. Got a complicated problem. My windows xp crashed so I tried to install a separate xp system.. this did not work because I had the wrong product key(don't ask) So fine bought a brand new xp system. Problem is I have one operating system on my computer and half of another. I want to totally...

Deleting/uninstalling old MS Windows? [ 4 Answers ]

Unfortunately I have had to reinstall MS Windows twice and now have three copies on my hard drive, can anyone tell me how to effectively delete/uninstall the two older copies not being used from my hard drive without upsetting the root system?

Uninstalling software [ 1 Answers ]

I recentley installed some autocad software, but it didn`t fully install and now I can`t uninstall the program and it is causing loads of problems with the computer. Even my smart restore won`t work so I can`t take it back to an earlier time. What do you suggest I do?

View more questions Search