Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CornWallace1313 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 12:53 PM
    Mold smell
    I think I have mold in my house. I can't see it but I smell something in some areas of the house. Can anyone tell exactly what mold smells like?
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 11, 2007, 04:39 PM
    From the following site: Mold in Your Home The site is worth checking out.

Recognizing Mold

Use your eyes: look for it
    Use your nose: smell for musty odors
    Experiencing health effects of mold

If you smell a musty odor or see mold, you have a problem. You can have your home tested for mold, but it is very expensive and generally is not necessary if you smell or see mold.

If you've ever walked into a closed-up home or entered an old building, you may have smelled a musty odor. Sometimes your nose tightens up, or you might even get a headache. If you re-enter your home or cabin after it's been locked up, you may smell a musty odor. This odor is caused by mold. Find where the odor is most intense to see if mold is present.

Since the sense of smell decreases rapidly, it is best to smell for mold after being away for a while.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foul smell in front entrance to home-onion smell [ 6 Answers ]

A really weird smell, like rotten onions, quite embarrassing because my home is kept spotless everyone comments on the smell right when they walk into the house. There is a shower stall in a bedroom above this entrance but we have snaked it and poured drain cleansers down it and also stopped using...

Dog smell in carpet from peeing how do I get the smell out/ [ 16 Answers ]

How do I get the dog pee smell out of my carpet?

Mold/Mildew Smell on Stoneware Dinnerware [ 1 Answers ]

For the last month or so I've noticed that the cabinet where I keep my dishes smells like mildew/mold. I just figured out it is coming from the bottom of my dishes, where it's not glazed. Has anyone else heard of this problem? I'm not comfortable eating off them anymore. They aren't that old, maybe...

Mold [ 1 Answers ]

I have been renting a house for 2yrs, about 8months ago we called our landlord and told him there was mold in our bathtub. He owns a contracting business, and sent one of his guys out to fix it. He only fixed half the problem and the mold grew back. We have called our landlord several time and...

Sewer smell in kitchen, wood cabinets smell [ 1 Answers ]

I bought a house that had sewer smells in the kitchen probably for years. I found the problem and fixed the pipe. We gutted the kitchen and the smell is still there. The subfloor has an odor. And I am worried the tongue and groove underneath it might smell also. If we pull up the subfloor,...

View more questions Search