Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    doolilo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 9, 2005, 01:48 AM
    Processor
    Hi guys,

I was trying to install new PIV 2.5 Celeron processors on a computer that was using PIV 1.7 Celeron processors but the computer does not even reach post despite the fact that its on.

What do you think is the problem?
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Sep 16, 2005, 09:46 AM
    Howdy:

Mobo can't handle the processor.. Did you even check to see if you could upgrade the processor and the max size allowed?

Murray
    doolilo Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 18, 2005, 04:45 AM
    Processor
    Thanks man, I have tried to use the processors in different types of motherboard but I still have the same problem. Recently I tried them on some Dell optiplex GX280 but the procressors simple didn't work. So It isn't a matter of checking whether the upgrade could work.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Sep 18, 2005, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by doolilo
    Hi guys,

I was trying to install new PIV 2.5 Celeron processors on a computer that was using PIV 1.7 Celeron processors but the computer does not even reach post despite the fact that its on.

What do you think is the problem?
    Typically, processor upgrade must be supported by the motherboard manufacturer. Can you confirm that is so? There could be technical problems associated with going from 1.7 to 2.5 and the board must be designed to handle the jump.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 19, 2005, 06:01 AM
    Let us know the specs of the PC you are trying to get to POST. Check the RAM is seated correctly.

Is all you have done replaced the processors? For example, if you replaced a motherboard it could have been possible to ground the board to the case, screwing things up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

AMD K6 Processor [ 4 Answers ]

I need to know what the speed of an AuthenticAMD K6 processor is. I have just had an IBM Aptiva custom built and the guy who built it said it's supposed to be at least 500 MHz, but my system information is saying it's only a 266 MHz. If it truly is 266, how can I be running XP Professional?

Slow Processor [ 6 Answers ]

I recently bought a game that has a requirement of a 1.4Ghz processor, I only got a 1.2. Is there any way of fooling the game or the computer into letting me play the game?

AMD processor questions [ 7 Answers ]

I'm getting ready to purchase my first AMD system, and I've got a problem picking out a processor. Just when I think I understand, I read a new review and get confused again because nobody seems to have a strong opinion about either of the follow processors either way. So what I want to know is,...

Processor? [ 3 Answers ]

Can you please advise on which is best for the same price in a new laptop Intel Pentium 4 650 at 3.4GHz OR Pentium "M" 740 at 1.73GHz ( there is a 2+GHz at a much higher price available) The Two are HP zd8290ea and Dell 9300 Series Reply to [email protected]

Processor Comparison [ 3 Answers ]

I am in the process purchasing a laptop computer. There are many processors to choose from these days and I was hoping someone could enlighten me about the differences in the many styles/brands of processors currently offered for these computers. I have always preferred Pentium 4 processors. ...

View more questions Search