Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thurman Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Sep 3, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Frozen lawn mower engine.
    My lawn mower has been resting for several months.Now that I have tried to start it, it will barely turn. Is there some way I can unfreeze the engine without taking it apart?

Thanks,
    Thurman
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 04:35 PM
    Hmmm, try removing the spark plug, and injecting oil into the cylinder and then try to turn the engine over by hand, work it in both directions. Allow the oil to seep in before trying this. Good luck. Was the engine kept dry?

Sep 4, 2007, 12:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MOWERMAN2468
    hmmm, try removing the spark plug, and injecting oil into the cylinder and then try to turn the engine over by hand, work it in both directions. allow the oil to seep in before trying this. good luck. was the engine kept dry?

Hello,
    The mower was kept indoors and still has oil and fuel. Iwill try your sugestion...

Thanks,
    Thurman
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 02:06 PM
    Mowerman is probably right but just try turning the engine with the plug removed. Do not add the oil unless you have to. Do not grab or pull on the blade.
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 04:58 PM
    Great point there about the blade issue ball. Didn't think to tell him not to do that.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 05:10 PM
    I only have 7 fingers left at present so I try to protect the few that are left.
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 04:20 PM
    thurman,
    Did you get it going?

Sep 14, 2007, 02:09 PM
    The mower is working fine thanks to your help...

Thanks again,

Thurman Pritchard
    Ultra Member

Sep 14, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Good job, way to stick with it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

12.5 HP Briggs & Stratten Lawn Mower Engine [ 2 Answers ]

Hi- I have a strange problem with this engine. It starts and runs fine most of the time. But, every now and then it starts to smoke, lots of smoke out the muffler. The only way I can get it to stop is turn the engine off. It get into the carburetor through the Positive crankcase ventilator. I...

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Sears Craftsman 4000 Riding Mower [ 9 Answers ]

I need a diagram on how to replace a belt on the Sears Craftsman II 4000 riding mower

Lawn and Garden - Push lawn mower [ 1 Answers ]

I put a new blad on my craftsman push mower but it is vibrating roughly. Do you have a diagram of how the blade should go on? Is it washer, blade, washer, bolt or blade, washer, washer, bolt, etc?

Diagram for replacing lawn mower belt on Toro 1744HXL riding mower [ 1 Answers ]

I need a diagram for replacing the belt in the mowing deck of a Toro 17-44HLX riding mower

View more questions Search