Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jenuwin04 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 09:55 AM
    My new puppy
    Hey all, I have a new puppy who's 8 weeks old. I have never owned a puppy before, so I am not sure how to deal with some things. My main concern is fleas. I am trying to housetrain my puppy, but it's very difficult not to let her near the grass. Is there any type of prevention I could get for such a young pup?
    I also have a cat. She's not the sweetest cat in the world. What is the best way for me to introduce the 2 animals without a potential blood bath. We had a bunny that she used to get along with, but he was there first and she was a kitten. How do I make this transition easier for me and the cat?:confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2007, 05:23 PM
    With all the modern products, fleas seldom are a problem. The Revolution I use is OK for puppies as young as 6 weeks. In the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 I list a vet as something a puppy needs. Besides shots, a flea preventative is a good idea. The vet can help you select what will be best for your puppy. Many of the better ones are only available from the vet.

Puppies and cats are a problem. When you see the puppy first focus on the cat, give it a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' and offer a chew tory. When you can't watch it, crate it.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 4, 2007, 05:02 AM
    It may be much easier to teach the puppy to deal with the cat, than the cat to deal with the puppy... ideally you would want to start working with the puppy now and give the "ahh or scold when he focusses or goes after the cat" but keep them always supervised until the puppy is at a size that it can not be severely injured by the cat... I would recommend to start supervised feeding of them in the same area, as well as supervised interaction around the house... Remember the main danger is the cat hurting the puppy...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

Puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Chiuhauha puppy that need to stay at home alone. I can't check in with her Or don't I have anyone who can check in. I must work and I can't afford a sitter. Do you have any suggestion. She is 9 weeks old. I thinking of putting her in the bathroom with her crate food and water and wee wee...

Puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I'm Getting A New 8week Old Pup Around Xmas. My Question Is That I Have A 8 Year Old Cat And She Goes Outside A lot And At Times Brings Home Mice And Birds. She Only Had Her Shots Back When She Was A Kitten. She Seems Very Healthy But My Concerns Now Is It Safe For This Pup To Be Around Her.

Puppy wants in and out, in and out [ 4 Answers ]

I take my now 9 week old puppy to work with me every day. I've had him since he was 5 weeks old so he is somewhat house trained already, and my office building is actually a house so there is a yard. My puppy will go to the door and whine when he wants to go out, which I know should be good. BUT,...

When is a puppy not a puppy anymore? [ 3 Answers ]

Our Lhasa is now 10 months old. As a puppy we have had food available pretty much at all times, but maybe he's getting past that now, and for his weight should maybe only be fed about a cup to a cup and a half of his dog meal a day. We have been using Wysong, by the way, and it seems to have a...

View more questions Search