Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    military guy Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 07:54 AM
    Dismissed with prejudice
    I have a question. I was charged early this year with a court-martial offense while on active duty in the military. The charge was later "dismissed with prejudice." It never was referred to a court-martial so I was never arraigned and so forth. However, there was an investigation that led to the charge followed by fingerprints and a mug shot. My question is, do I have a criminal record? By the way, this all happened while overseas... not in the U.S.
    Also, I recently had a background check performed for employment. The background investigator did have to call me for a question pertaining to a military document (one that shows military service) but that was it. After the investigation I was e-mailed by the investigator (per my request) and was informed "nothing was found, enjoy your new job." I am worried that this could potentially raise its ugly head in the future but having not yet worked in the civilian sector I am not too familiar with what is or isn't a criminal record. I understand that the results of the investigation (criminal) would be sent to the NCIC and only law enforcement has access to them; is my assumption correct?
    Thank you in advance for your comments.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2007, 10:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by military guy
    I understand that the results of the investigation (criminal) would be sent to the NCIC and only law enforcement has access to them; is my assumption correct?
    Hello military:

First off, thank you for your service.

No. Your assumption isn't correct. IF there HAD been "results", which would have been a conviction, THAT information would be in the NCIC computer. But, since there wasn't one, the only information in the computer is a notation of your arrest.

Arrests, in the ordinary course of events, won't show up on an ordinary background check. I say "ordinary" because there isn't any such thing as an "ordinary" background check. There are cheap ones that probably won't show much. And, then there the one's done by people who really want to know about you. Those will probably show your arrest, and even more. I wouldn't worry about the latter ones too much, unless you want to work for CIA.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I had a dismissed case will this prevent me from employment [ 2 Answers ]

I got a theft by check charge about a year ago, but it was dismissed. Will this prevent me from passing a background check from an employer?

My Case Was Dismissed. What is my recourse? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi All, I filed a small claims court against Equifax. Unfortunately, the court date was set for the same date as my family reunion, which was some 9 hours away. I sent a timely response to the court and to Equifax requesting a change of date. Equifax never responded. I called the clerks office and...

What can I do if I was dismissed by university while I'm an F-1 Student? [ 4 Answers ]

I am an F-1 student, now attending a university in NY, but unfortunately, I failed a course, and it seems obvious I will be dismissed by my school. And I already applied for several other community colleges to transfer, they are still processing my application. I know I'm in big trouble, and mad...

Dismissed in BK but lien remains [ 4 Answers ]

In CH13, charges of 1400 for a dept store bill were dismissed by judge. During court, my atty failed to "make a motion to dismiss" And now I owe 3400 dollars-as a lien on my home. It includes the original 1400, interest and atty fees. I called atty who wants to go to court which I am afraid...

DOJ Dismisses Felony Tax Prosecution with prejudice. [ 1 Answers ]

On May 12, 2006 in Peoria, Illinois, the attorney for the U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) begged the court to dismiss all charges against IRS victim Robert Lawrence in federal District Court. The motion for dismissal came on the heels of a surprise tactic by Lawrence’s defense attorney Oscar...

View more questions Search