Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pegpegpeg Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 07:47 AM
    Porcelain, Composition
    I have heard that porcelain crowns contain an aluminum salt, and I am concerned about ingesting even a small amount of aluminum due to memory loss.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 3, 2007, 08:12 AM
    I think this a matter of confusion. It isn't aluminum salt that is contained in dentures but uranium and this raised concerns too because of the radiation content, found to be too low to create human risk. The explanation being that over a large number of years cells would be destroyed by the radiation but grow back at a faster rate of speed with any damage being negligible.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Sep 3, 2007, 06:39 PM
    flossie

I made a faux pas, sorry, and said 'dentures' instead of 'crowns'.

Porcelain-fused-to-metal dental crowns are somewhat of a hybrid between metal crowns and porcelain crowns. When they are made the dental technician first makes a shell of metal that fits over the tooth. A veneering of porcelain is then fused over this metal (in a high heat oven), giving the crown a white tooth-like appearance. Depending on the requirements of your situation, these crowns are sometimes made where the porcelain veneer only covers those aspects of the crown that is readily visible (meaning the other portions of the crown have a metal surface). In other cases these crowns are pretty much fully surfaced with porcelain.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2007, 07:07 PM
    Any aluminum in the porcelain is in a highly stable form. Although aluminum silicate is a very common mineral, the main constituent of most rocks, it is so chemically resistant, that all the metal we use must come special ores. The aluminum in your teeth crowns will never make it into your blood stream.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 03:25 AM
    I agree with labman. Any aluminum used in the making of porcelain crowns will not make it into your blood stream.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Spanish composition [ 3 Answers ]

Can someone please proofread my spanish composition. Cuando yo tenía cinco años vivé en Bethlehem Pennsylvania. Cada mañana mi mamá me despertaba para ir a la escuela. Tomaba una ducha, conseguía un vestido, comía el desayuno y me cepillaba los dientes. Después besaba a mi madre y iba a...

% composition [ 1 Answers ]

If an experiment requires 5g of H2SO4 ,what volume of a 1% (w/w) solution should be used? Thanks

Composition of Chemical Formulas [ 2 Answers ]

I am not sure how to calculate the number of atoms in the following chemical formulas. The parentheses are confusing me. Thanks for your help: CH3(CH2)16COOH (stearic acid) C3H5(C17H33COO)3 (triolein)

Lenoleum over composition vinyl tile [ 1 Answers ]

I want to put a sheet of lenoleum( 11 ft x 20 ft) over an existing 12in x12in glued( to concrete) composition vinyl tile, the tiles are all in good condition. I saw some lenoleums say installation without adhesive, and talk to the saleperson he said that they all needadhesive or they may get...

View more questions Search