Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Is this an OK gift?
    My first cousin I s getting married in about 2 months. She and I were never close. When I got married she gave me 1 whine goblet with religious emblems on it (may spent $30.00) had no travel expense. I on the other hand have to drive 6 plus hours (each way) by myself, leaving my child and husband and spending 125.00 night on a hotel. We were not budgeting for this expense, as we are not close.

I found a beautiful decorative plate that has their names and wedding date. Is this an appropriate gift?

Please don't say why go, as she does not have a large family and not many people would be there for her.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 3, 2007, 07:59 AM
    An appropriate wedding gift is anything you can afford, that you've given some thought to.

I think that your gift will be a lovely one.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 08:11 AM
    Thank you! My mother-in-law saw it last night and did not like it, she thought money would be proper.
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Sep 3, 2007, 08:16 AM
    Okay... money is NEVER a "proper" gift.

You can tell you mother-in-law I said so, too!

As badly as we needed money when we got married, I cherish the little gifts that are reminders of that day--I got a wedding plate (which I love, and have hanging on the wall), a "First Christmas Together" ornament, a little statue of a bride and groom dancing. I got useful stuff too--appliances, and blankets and what have you.

The fact that someone thought about what to get me, rather than just falling back on cash, meant so much more to me.

Cash to me says "everyone can use money, and I didn't bother thinking about YOU personally"
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 08:19 AM
    I agree with Synnen on this one. The plate sounds like it came from your heart! Good judgement! Have fun!
    LearningAsIGo Posts: 2,653, Reputation: 350
    Survivor

Sep 4, 2007, 10:49 AM
    Sounds cute! Believe me, your travel time will speak volumes to her... she'll be thrilled to see you :)
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 10:56 AM
    I agree with Synnen, we got money, and it was nice, but the three things I cherish the most are a wedding frame with our picture in it, a handmade wooden plaque with our wedding invite and dried flowers shalacked to it, and a willow tree statue of a man holding his wife in his arms. I remember exactly who gave them to me and I display them proudly every day. Mementos are the best way to go.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 10:57 AM
    I agree about well-thought-out gifts being more valuable than money. Money gets spent and forgotten about. The beautiful plate you chose will always be a lovely reminder of that special day.

Someone gave me as a wedding gift a spice rack that will be handed down to one of my sons who likes to cook and bake. (It's well-made from wood with cute little spice bottles.) I have similar things that were grandmothers' and great aunts' wedding gifts.
    Chery Posts: 3,666, Reputation: 698
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Sep 4, 2007, 11:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by danielnoahsmommy
    My first cousin i s getting married in about 2 months. she and I were never close. when I got married she gave me 1 whine goblet with religious emblems on it (may spent $30.00) had no travel expense. I on the other hand have to drive 6 plus hours (each way) by myself, leaving my child and husband and spending 125.00 night on a hotel. We were not budgeting for this expense, as we are not close.

I found a beautiful decorative plate that has their names and wedding date. is this an appropriate gift?

please dont say why go, as she does not have a large family and not many people would be there for her.
    I think that the engraved plate is better than money too. I certainly would have appreciated it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wedding gift [ 2 Answers ]

If you do not attend the wedding is it okay to spend less money on a gift than if you were to attend the reception? If so, what percentage less would be acceptable?

$ Wedding Gift $ [ 16 Answers ]

My sister is getting married very soon. She and her fiancé have suggested that guests give a gift in the form of a donation of money towards their honeymoon, as they have already been living together for some years and are all set up. (They made this suggestion on the invitations in a most polite...

When not to give a gift? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello- I have a dilemma. My cousin is getting married this year and I don’t know if I should give him anything for the wedding. Here’s why: This same cousin attended both my sister’s and my wedding without giving any gifts. On top of that, for both weddings, he brought a guest when only he...

One time gift [ 1 Answers ]

As the owner of my parent’s home, I thought to sell the property and divide the money with my seven sisters. Would I be responsible for taxes, or could I give it as a gift. I live in Philadelphia Pennsylvania, and the prosperity was given to me by my father 5yrs before his death. Thank you

View more questions Search