Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    john425 Posts: 13, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 07:43 AM
    98 Buck Regal- Just started doing this.
    Hello about two weeks ago I bought a preowned 98 Buick Regal with 85k Miles on it. The owners took care of this car (Carfax was perfect, have everything that was done to the car over the years via receipts and statements by the mechanic that had it done).

Two days ago I was driving to work, making a left hand turn- at about the time it was shifting into 2nd gear (20ish MPH) the engine seemed to die, while still running, the tachometer was fluctuating when hitting the gas, and it was ceasing to move. Pull over, and at the same point in time, a very, very high pitched clingy noise was coming from the front end of the car. Pulled over into a near apartment complex (about 100 yards from where this all started).

At this point I had no idea, checked all my fluids, and everything was A-ok. No over heating, nothing from that end of the line anyway I do believe. I am getting it towed today to a mechanic, and the conclusions we have come up with (my parents and I) it could be a few things.

The U Joints gave way, the Transmission died, a bearing was lodged into the transmission, the Timing belt jumped (it was replaced about 10k miles ago), or the drive shaft is borked.

Now can't really tell what is wrong without looking at it in person, but do not want to be hassled by a mechanic; and not all that knowledgeable about cars (Dad is, is kind of clueless of how this happened). Will explain the situation in full detail to give a better perspective.

The noise is like a very high pitched pots clinging together at a rapid pace. When starting the car, it will BARELY start if at all, and the tachometer fluctuates a lot (did not happen usually when starting). Tried starting it three times with my dad when he came to pick me up and was looking at it, just really no idea aside from what I have listed, but more so why all the sudden. Another thing is when reversing recently it seemed to click when going into drive from reverse, and on the way to work (speeding up to 50 mph) it seemed to be chugging almost when speeding up (did not do this the night before).

Any input would be awesome, thank you.

-John

Check out some similar questions!

94 buick regal no restart [ 13 Answers ]

Question I have a 1994 Buick Regal with a 3.8L engine. Sometimes when you shut the car off it will not start back up again. It sounds as if it is not firing because it keeps turning over and you can hear the fuel pump click on. You can let the car sit for about 30mins to 1 hour and then it will...

Why would a 1995 Buick Regal [ 2 Answers ]

Turn over but not start after having the fuel pump, filter and relay replaced. It also has a new battery and new plugs. I ran the car out of gas.

Why would a 1995 Buick Regal [ 2 Answers ]

Turn over but not start after having the fuel pump, filter and relay replaced. It also has a new battery and new plugs. I ran the car out of gas.

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.