Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bearndecember Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Leaving puppies alone
    Hi I have an eight week old puppy and I work at night what's the best way to contain her while I'm at work? I got a small kennel and she hates it I can't get her to go in by herself. I was thinking of getting a gate and blocking off and area in my dining room. Will this be a good idea at night?
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 3, 2007, 06:35 AM
    Bearn, even though the puppy seems to hate the crate, it is the safest thing to do for her. Labman isn't available this weekend so I am sure he will forgive me for posting a link to his information. I couldn't possibly cover all the good advice he includes in his sticky at the top of the dog forum. https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

If you have more specific questions after reading his information, please post back with details and we will do our best to help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2007, 05:07 PM
    The stickies are there to not only save me posting the same thing time after time, but to provide help when I am away having a life. Thanks RubyPitbull.

I am a little concerned about an 8 week old perhaps not making it over night. I often suggest a neighbor or professional dog walker in the day time, but 3 AM? Perhaps use the grid I suggest and hope for the best.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 4, 2007, 05:06 AM
    As long as you don't have anything in the area that you plan to gate off that you consider valuable... (puppy proof everything), and anything you leave will be chewed, peed on or otherwise maimed if the puppy gets bored.. Also the crate is best, and if at 8 weeks old you are unable to control this puppy and get it into a crate then you are in for a lot of headaches when he or she gets bigger.. Start with a bribe.. placing the puppy chow in the crate and feeding in there, and then move to placing in the crate and rewarding... Even then if you plan on leaving the dog for this long of a period.. expect that he or she will urinate of deficate inside the crate... it's time to have a friend watch the dog while you work or a pet sitter, or some means of giving the puppy what it needs...
    bearndecember Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 06:52 AM
    Thank you all for your advice. I talked my friend into watching her while I'm at work. She has a lab mix and it will help her socialize with other dogs. Also she'll get walked at least twice before going to bed. p.s. I'll try the feeding in the crate.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:12 AM
    She is a true friend if she is willing to have her sleep interrupted for a few more weeks until the puppy can go overnight.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Sep 4, 2007, 07:17 AM
    Bearn, I am glad that labman mentioned what I forgot. 8 weeks is too young to expect a pup to go all night without a break. You have a very good friend indeed! The socialization is absolutely one of the right and correct ways to start your pup out.
    mypoorbeagle Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by bearndecember
    hi I have an eight week old puppy and I work at night what's the best way to contain her while I'm at work? I got a small kennel and she hates it i can't get her to go in by herself. I was thinking of getting a gate and blocking off and area in my dining room. Will this be a good idea at night?
    I have a 5 month old puppy and she hates going in the crate to, but I found a web site purnia.com they give some really good crate training. I have personally used it with my puppy and she is getting better and better about going into her crate. I hope that this helps you some.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Do puppies need vitamins? [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, I am a proud new owner of a 3 mont hold male rat terrier. We bought oreo from a puppy store three days ago and he has had diarrhea ever since we bought him home. I am taking him to the vet tommrow for his first visit. I am beginning to think that the cause of this diarrehea could be all...

Puppies [ 6 Answers ]

my sister and I have been wanting a little maltese or a yorkie for about 2 months, and my mom doesn't care if we get one, but we r trying to convince him into getting a dog. does anyone know any good tips on how to convince parents into getting a dog?? also, does anyone know where to find...

Fleas on puppies [ 6 Answers ]

My niece has a new puppy 6 months old ,what can we do about fleas?

Puppies [ 1 Answers ]

My pug had two puppies they are now 8 1/2 weeks old. One just went to her new home today now the other puppy is acting kind of sad is it normal?

My pug puppies [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 six week old pug puppies that don't want to wean from there mother they cry for her so I was wondering do I keep them away from her all times or what.thanks

View more questions Search