Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dherman1 Posts: 129, Reputation: 10

Sep 8, 2005, 08:59 AM
    Sheathing preferences
    We are putting a 2 story addition on that will include a garage on the first floor and a walking closet/master bath expansion on the second.

The bid referenced OSB sheathing on the exterior walls/roof and floor deck. The contractor decided to install Bild-Rite sheathing on the exterior walls and OSB on the floor and roof deck.

I did some research and found that Bild-Rite may not be a bad choice on the walls after all but I am looking for other opinions.

Also, should I be upset that the contractor switched from one product to another? Is Bild-Rite cheaper than OSB?

As always, thanks in advance for your help. :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2005, 09:46 AM
    The way energy prices are going, I would seriously look at foam, either Styrofoam or better yet the foil covered polyamide foam. Contractors don't like it because they must do extra bracing, and be more careful to hit the stud when installing siding. He will not be paying your heating bill the next 20 years.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2005, 06:35 AM
    Well I have never seen that bild rite stuff on a job. But as far as OSB for the sheathing... nothing wrong with it inherently. Just be certain that after it is sheathed it is tyvek'd right away. It will swell up to 3 times its thickness rather easily. I would choose a good grade ply if possible. But I totally understand the need for keeping costs down.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2005, 07:00 AM
    I see OSB exposed to the weather and holding up a long time. I sheathed a tree house for my kids out of 1/4'' OSB. It held up good for 6 years before I tore it down because they were grown up. Biggest problem was the tree limbs getting bigger than the holes I cut for them. It doesn't stretch very well.
    Borewyrm Posts: 65, Reputation: 2

Dec 8, 2005, 02:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    I see OSB exposed to the weather and holding up a long time. I sheathed a tree house for my kids out of 1/4'' OSB. It held up good for 6 years before I tore it down because they were grown up. Biggest problem was the tree limbs getting bigger than the holes I cut for them. It doesn't stretch very well.
    LOL Well I have a piece of half inch (or 7/16 or whatever the stuff is) that was leaning against the porch during the severe rains this spring in the hudson valley region. I figure its been maybe 6 months it is well over 3/4 now. I guess if the lumber sheds the water well, like the house or your treehouse having the sheets in the vertical position, it would hold up longer. Another example is a house I just went back toin order to add extra holiday light outlets before sheetrocking. It had been sitting for a month the rain had been coming in near the chimmny which hadn't been flashed or capped yet and the floor swelled up a lot. The hardwood floor guys had to sand it quite a bit. Funny thing is they dropped their oak down and the roof still was leaking.
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Dec 8, 2005, 02:32 PM
    Haven't seen Bildrite sheathing either but read up on it. Looks like good stuff. You shouldn't be worried. Ask your contractor the cost difference. If its less, ask for a price adjustment. If its more then the builders out the difference. Depending how long ago he gave you the bid, Bildrite may be cheaper but the same price as OSB was when he bid your job. Were I'm from OSB is about $12.00 a sheet. The hurricanes/floods affect lumber prices dramatically.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Insulated sheathing boards [ 2 Answers ]

Has anyone had any experience with the polyisocyanurate foam sheathing boards ? I'm considering using one of the R4 rated .6" boards over a standard rigid wafer type sheathing before attach the fiber cement planked siding. Would a exterior wrap such as Permawrap also be helpful ? Can a wavy effect...

Replace sheathing on garage [ 1 Answers ]

I have a garage roof that has completely rotted. Pulling off the plywood sheathing, I see that the surface of the 2x6 rafters is rotted. This is a stupid question, but I can't figure out is how the rafters are attached to the center beam. I can't see any nail holes. Have I not looked hard enough?...

View more questions Search