Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    angeleyes08 Posts: 0, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2005, 07:11 AM
    Psychics?
    Is it wrong to consult a psychic? What about looking up horoscopes?
    shenda Posts: 160, Reputation: 21

Sep 8, 2005, 02:57 PM
    Stumbling Block
    To say, what is right or what is wrong can cause one to stumble; you must know the validity of your own conviction. According to Christianity, consultation with any medium equates to illegal tapping into the Power of God. Depending on your conviction of Faith, you may embrace the spiritual essence of guidance; however, if you are a Christian believer, you know that Jesus Christ is the Intercessor, The Holy Spirit, or Spirit of Truth is available to lead and guide you into ALL Truths. However, you must adhere unto Joshua 1:8, as well as Proverbs 3:5-6, in order to do either, you must have a sensitivity to the leading of the Holy Spirit, without such, it is impossible for you to have an ear to hear, and possess a knowing of the direction you are being led. This requires a steadfast commitment on your part, consistency is key. More direct... All power belongs to God; nothing exist outside of God; however, if one access His Divine Power without coming through the Door, than such is a thief or a robber. Besides, why gamble with familiar spirits, when one can obtain Truth which dispels darkness.
    Bobbye Posts: 41, Reputation: 4

Sep 9, 2005, 11:41 AM
    Psychics
    Why go to psychics? Jesus said: "When He (The Holy Spirit) is come, He will lead and guide you into all truth."

The Holy Spirit will reveal whatever it is you are seeking from psychics, so why indulge in mysticism? Through prayer The Holy Spirit will guide you: "Ask and ye shall receive; Seek and ye shall find; Knock and it shall be opened unto you:" A-S-K!

WHATEVER YOU ARE SEEKING, GOD (THROUGH HIS HOLY SPIRIT) WILL REVEAL UNTO YOU. The Mind of God is the greatest source of Wisdom and direction. "Omniscient" -- "All-Knowing" -- so why go to a psychic. Also, God's Word (The Bible) will lead you into truth! Pray, read the Bible, and ask The Holy Spirit to help you in whatever you are seeking!

Psychics will tell you what you want to hear -- for a fee. The Holy Spirit will reveal TRUTH -- AND TRUTH ONLY!

Be blessed,
    Bobbye
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Sep 10, 2005, 07:18 PM
    Psychics
    Is it wrong to go to psychics?[B]

Perhaps not wrong,' unless you equate Saul's visiti to the Witch of Endor as a visit to a psychic. That visit falls under severe proscription.

My personal view is that psychics are not able to tap into God's power, legally or illegally, but I am also extremely sceptical and not a little suspicious about their claims.

They universally suffer from a fatal disease known as vagueitis, [I]and unless you rise to their vagueness and start to provide hints and information, they will flounder and have to repay the silver with which you have crossed their palms.

The same is true of spiritualistic mediums. If my father's ghost were to appear, he would know his name, his father's name, and which leg was shot off in the Revolutionary War!

Asking, "Does the letter "M" mean anything to any one?" is the sure mark of a crook.

If you have concerns about your present or your future, or is he the man you should marry, etc. then you should look into your own heart for the answer, check your experience, talk to your mother, your father, your pastor, your librarian, but for goodness sake do not believe that those who claim to be psychics have any ability beyond any other being.

The major qualification to be a psychic is the be a muscle reader, and a good guesser, be as vague as possible, pour on the schmaltz when the subject smiles, and for heavens' sake, don't say anything definite, only give the vaguest hints that could be interpreted in a hundred ways.

Horoscopes ask you to believe that the billions of people in the world are only on one of twelve paths. Think about it.

You have had some good advice above from Bobbye. He speaks good sense.

I wish you well and ask God's blessing on you.

MORGANITE

:)
    STONY Posts: 82, Reputation: 11

Sep 12, 2005, 06:53 AM
    Psychics?
    Soothsayer, witchcraft, divination, god warns us in no uncertain term to stay away from such people like the plague.
    Why you might ask? Because god does not want you to put your faith in anything besides him. :eek: :p :p

Sep 12, 2005, 08:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by STONY
    SOOTHSAYER, WITCHCRAFT, DIVINATION, GOD WARNS US IN NO UNCERTAIN TERM TO STAY AWAY FROM SUCH PEOPLE LIKE THE PLAGUE.
    WHY YOU MIGHT ASK? BECAUSE GOD DOES NOT WANT YOU TO PUT YOUR FAITH IN ANYTHING BESIDES HIM. :eek: :p :p

That is what I said.

:confused:

Sep 13, 2005, 06:45 AM
    Bobbye...
    Is In No Uncertain Terms A Texas Lady! Well, Now That You've Been Introduced Learn From Each Other. ;)

Sep 13, 2005, 10:19 AM
    Is In No Uncertain Terms A Texas Lady!! Well, Now That You've Been Introduced Learn From Each Other. ;)

If the above message is directed to me, it doesn't make any sense. Would you rephrase it, please?

This is where I said what you repeaded:

Perhaps not wrong,' unless you equate Saul's visit to the Witch of Endor as a visit to a psychic. That visit falls under severe proscription.

:confused:

Sep 14, 2005, 06:34 AM
    Bobbye
    I Didn't Think I Could Make It Any Simpler, Bobbye Is A Lady From Texas, Now Learn From Each Other.

Sep 14, 2005, 09:05 AM
    Comment on STONY's post
    Most unhelpful. Adding a wry comment is not helpful.
    chrisl Posts: 83, Reputation: 2

Sep 14, 2005, 06:18 PM
    The Bible says...
    Quote Originally Posted by angeleyes08
    Here are some scriptures to consider:

" 'Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists ("familiar spirits" NKJV), for you will be defiled by them. I am the LORD your God. -- Leviticus 19:31 (NIV)

Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in [a] the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the LORD, and because of these detestable practices the LORD your God will drive out those nations before you. -- Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (NIV)

He sacrificed his own son in [a] the fire, practiced sorcery ("soothsaying" NKJV) and divination, and consulted mediums and spiritists. He did much evil in the eyes of the LORD, provoking him to anger. -- 2 Kings 21:6 (NIV)

Once when we were going to the place of prayer, we were met by a slave girl who had a spirit by which she predicted the future ("possessed with a spirit of divination" NKJV). She earned a great deal of money for her owners by fortune-telling. This girl followed Paul and the rest of us, shouting, "These men are servants of the Most High God, who are telling you the way to be saved." She kept this up for many days. Finally Paul became so troubled that he turned around and said to the spirit, "In the name of Jesus Christ I command you to come out of her!" At that moment the spirit left her. -- Acts 16:16-18 (NIV)

The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; idolatry and witchcraft ("sorcery" NKJV); hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God. -- Galations 5:19-21 (NIV)

"Blessed are those who wash their robes, that they may have the right to the tree of life and may go through the gates into the city. Outside are the dogs, those who practice magic arts ("sorcerers" NKJV), the sexually immoral, the murderers, the idolaters and everyone who loves and practices falsehood. -- Revelation 22:14-15 (NIV)
    I think the Bible's viewpoint is clear. The account in Acts shows that divination is linked to demon possession. Serious stuff.

Stay clear of spiritism or divination in any form.

Chris

Sep 15, 2005, 06:54 AM
    Thank You Chris...
    I Try To Respond In A Few Sentences Or So, But You Really Hit The Nail On The Head. Thanks For Looking Up The Scriptures For Everyone.
    Starman Posts: 1,308, Reputation: 135
    -

May 9, 2006, 01:10 PM
    I find it curious that someone who believes God to be almighty should also believe him vulnerable to having his power illegally tapped into. How is one concept reconciled with the other pray tell?

The Bible is clear on the subject. But God doesn't just prohibit for prohibition's sake. The reason for this particular prohibition is because God knows that rebel angels will use such means to mislead people away his guidance. They do this not because the feel they will ultimately win the conflict with God, but because since they are to be destroyed, they want to take as many humans as they can with them.

BTW
    Hitler had a similar mentality at the end of his life when he ordered the destruction of the German nation because he was about to perish.

May 10, 2006, 08:58 AM
    Angeleyes,
    God Put A Warning To Us About Such Characters And To Avoid Them. The Reason Being Is This. Who Do You Put Your Trust [faith] In, God Or Some Man/woman Who Is Just As Fallible As Anyone Else? When You Are Committed To God He Will See You Through Anything. Another Aspect Is Demonic Spirits Can Talk To You Through These People And They Have All The Facts Because The Spirits Have Been Here Since The Beginning.

May 10, 2006, 10:08 AM
    It depends who or what you are. Christians need no such things because they are promised the Holly Spirit as their Spirit Guide through life.

Most psychics are frauds, and all horoscopes are fiction.

M:)RGANITE
    -

May 10, 2006, 12:25 PM
    Angeleyes,
    God Put A Warning To Us About Such Characters And To Avoid Them. The Reason Being Is This. Who Do You Put Your Trust [faith] In, God Or Some Man/woman Who Is Just As Fallible As Anyone Else? When You Are Committed To God He Will See You Thru Anything. Another Aspect Is Demonic Spirits Can Talk To You Thru These People And They Have All The Facts Because The Spirits Have Been Here Since The Begining.
    I agree with you 100%. It's truly a pity that so many are duped into trusting such sources and remain unaware of who really is behind them.

Here is an example that came to my mind that you are probably familiar with. It describes a demonic spirit communicating via a dream and speaking badly of both Job and God. Of course the spirit mixes in some occasional good comment in order to gain some credibility. But its comments with their murderous intentions predominate. The man that received the message was Eliphaz, one of three who visited Job while Job was suffering.

Comments in brackets are mine.

Job 4:

1Then Eliphaz the Temanite answered and said,
    7Remember, I pray thee, who ever perished, being innocent? Or where were the righteous cut off?
    8Even as I have seen, they that plow iniquity, and sow wickedness, reap the same.
    9By the blast of God they perish, and by the breath of his nostrils are they consumed.

[ So Eliphaz begins by accusing Job as being wicked as his suffering proves. In other words God is the source of all calamities befalling man and Job is suffering at the hands of God because Job is wicked. Next Eliphaz reveals the sinister source of his ideas.]

12Now a thing was secretly brought to me, and mine ear received a little thereof.
    13In thoughts from the visions of the night, when deep sleep falleth on men,
    14Fear came upon me, and trembling, which made all my bones to shake.
    15Then a spirit passed before my face; the hair of my flesh stood up:
    16It stood still, but I could not discern the form thereof: an image was before mine eyes, there was silence, and I heard a voice, saying,

[Next Job is accused of claiming superiority to God. Then it accuses God of having no trust in his servants both angels and humans, regardless of how faithful they might seem. Also that God considers humans as moths and theiur suffering os no concern to him. Of course this is a complete contradiction of what God said about Job, that he was a good man who would remain faithful under any circumstances.

Job 1:8
    And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?

It also contradicts of all the promises God has made concerning the rewarding of his servants and the restoration of all things to their former pristine condition as the following scripture points out.

Revelation 21:4
    And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away.]

17Shall mortal man be more just than God? Shall a man be more pure than his maker?
    18Behold, he put no trust in his servants; and his angels he charged with folly:
    19How much less in them that dwell in houses of clay, whose foundation is in the dust, which are crushed before the moth?
    20They are destroyed from morning to evening: they perish for ever without any regarding it.

[The purpose of all this, of course, was to frustrate Job into cursing God to his face as Satan had claimed he would. This purpose remains the same today and all those who seek communication via mediums expose themselves to this type of demonic propaganda.
    Also today, as in Eliphaz's case, the evil spirits will slip in some truth along with the lies in order to appear trustworthy. Also note that when faithful angels are used to communicate the hair of the person doesn't stand on edge- which indicates an evil source]

All scriptures are from the KJV
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

May 10, 2006, 12:50 PM
    Hmmm... Im skeptical... whose to say that it isn't the HOLY SPIRIT speaking through these mediums?

What is that passage in the Bible where it talks about the different gifts that are given to man (prophesy, missionary, etc)?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 10, 2006, 02:41 PM
    Cute story here. First of all I am a Christian, but this story goes back more than 20 years ago. I went to a "psychic" who was what he called a "writer". I did not say anything and he got out a piece of paper and wrote things down then translated to me.

Basically I remember him telling me that I would go on a long trip with a blond man who had blue eyes and was younger than me nad that I would be happy with this man. At that time the only blone haired blue eyed persone I knew was my brother.

About 7 years later I moved from the midwest to Alaska with a blond man who was a year younger than me. I finally met this man in a state other than the one I was living in at the time and we went on a "long journey" and went to Alaska and we have been married for 10 years.

I do not believe in psychics, because if they were true psychics they would not have to advertise because they "know" we are going to visit them. But this man was amazing. I never spoke a word in his presence and the things he told me came true. I did not believe him for almost 20 years now, but if I look at the writings it all came true.
    -

May 10, 2006, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by DrJizzle
    Hmmm... Im skeptical... whose to say that it isnt the HOLY SPIRIT speaking thru these mediums??

What is that passage in the Bible where it talks about the different gifts that are given to man (prophesy, missionary, etc)??

The scripture mentioning the gifts does not apply to spirit mediums because such a practice is condemned. The gifts were only given those who were respectful of the inspired scriptures.

“Do not turn to mediums or seek out spiritists, for you will be defiled by them” (Leviticus 19.31) and “Let no one be found among you …who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord” (Deuteronomy 18:10-12

Why would we expect the God of the NT to suddenly approve of spirit mediums? The God of the OT is the same God of the NT. If he weren't, then we would rely only on the NT writings and reject the OT writings. But Christians officially recognize both NT and OT as being equally inspired.
    -

May 10, 2006, 03:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Cute story here. first of all I am a Christian, but this story goes back more than 20 years ago. I went to a "psychic" who was what he called a "writer". I did not say anything and he got out a piece of paper and wrote things down then translated to me.

Basically I remember him telling me that I would go on a long trip with a blond man who had blue eyes and was younger than me nad that I would be happy with this man. At that time the only blone haired blue eyed persone I knew was my brother.

About 7 years later I moved from the midwest to alaska with a blond man who was a year younger than me. I finally met this man in a state other than the one I was living in at the time and we went on a "long journey" and went to alaska and we have been married for 10 years.

I do not believe in psychics, because if they were true psychics they would not have to advertise because they "know" we are going to visit them. But this man was amazing. I never spoke a word in his presence and the things he told me came true. I did not believe him for almost 20 years now, but if I look at the writings it all came true.

My mother also had an experience with mediums that greatly impressed her. In our neighborhood in Newark NJ there were some gypsies who charged for spiritistic services among which was healing. Since my mother was feeling ill and had been told by friends that it might be due to evil spirits, she went for a consultation. A Gypsy woman affirmed her suspicions and told her to close her eyes as she would extract something from the stomach. Well, my mother kept her eyes a bit open and saw clearly as the medium reached into her pocket and produced a ball of hair which she claimed to have extracted from my mom's stomach. Feeling she was being hoodwinked, my mother protested and attempted to leave without paying. As she did so, several of the gypsies who had been watching seemingly unconcerned came to their feet and the medium began demanding her fee of fifteen dollars. Those are fifteen 1960 dollars so the amount isn't as little as one would suppose. Needless to say, fear made my mother immediately whip out the required fee. However, that wasn't enough. As she headed for the exit her way was blocked and she wasn't allowed to leave until she kissed the money for good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need Psychics analysis... [ 5 Answers ]

Born on 31.1.85 been with my fiancée (born 2.4.84) for nearly 4 yrs. Been trying for children for 2yrs. Just wanted to know if you can see us having children together. If any more information is required please let me know. Thank you.

I need help from psychics [ 1 Answers ]

I am really confused and I am so curious to know how my partner is thinking about me, I want to go deep inside him because he isnot good at expressing his feelings.. can any good psychic here help? My birthdate is 27 January 1974 and his is 31 December 1977.. is that enough info for psychic to tell...

View more questions Search