Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    irishh7 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2007, 05:24 PM
    Azalea bushes dying?
    Hi! I planted 5 small azalea bushes on the side of my house over Memorial Day. I have been watering them almost everyday and have fertilized them. This side of my house gets a lot of sun. Within the last week, the leaves seem to be turning a yellow-burn. Is this normal? Do they lose their leaves in the fall? Can anyone give me some idea of what to do to save them if this isn't normal? Also, what would be a better bush to plant for a very sunny location?

Thank you,

Irish
    LearningToBeHandy Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 9, 2007, 11:45 AM
    I've heard that azaleas are best in a partial sun location. The hardiness of plants relies heavily on the zone you are in. You may want to ask your local nursery. They can also help you with a soil test to determine the level of acidity in your soil. Some plants prefer more/less acidic soil.

Give a gentle tug on the bush and see if the plant easily releases from the soil. If so, it could mean you are over watering.

Is it possible you over fertilized? Why type and how much did you use?
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Sep 9, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Did you check if the fertilizer is for Azalea? Too much fertilizer will kill it, too.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 10, 2007, 08:31 AM
    -------------------------
    Azalea Plant Care Information
    Azalea Plant Care Information

Azaleas (Rhododendron hybrids) enjoy moderately bright light (diffused sunlight), preferably near a sunny window, but not exposed to direct sun.

Keep the soil uniformly moist. Water thoroughly when soil surface is dry to the touch. Never allow the plant to become excessively dry. To avoid root rot, don't allow the plant to stand in water.

Azaleas thrive in cool temperatures, 60-65F (15-18C)during the daytime. Cooler night temperatures (50-60F/10-15C) will help extend the blooming period. Do not expose azaleas to excessively hot or cold areas.
    ---------------------------------------
    Azaleas
    AZALEA CARE AND FEEDING

Now that spring is just around the corner, many people start wondering when they should fertilize their azaleas. The best time to fertilize azaleas is right after they finish blooming. Apply a slow release nitrogen fertilizer to stimulate good growth for the spring and summer. About eight weeks later, apply an acid-type fertilizer labeled "for azaleas, camellias, and gardenias." Reapply the azalea fertilizer about every six weeks until the middle of September to stimulate good bud set for the next year's bloom period. Apply small amounts each application, lightly scattering over root area.

Yellowed leaves with dark green veins are characteristic of iron deficiency. If your azaleas start showing signs of iron deficiency, there are several ways to treat them:
    Apply a soil acidifier such as sulfur to allow iron that is already in the soil to return to an available form.
    Apply a chelated (treated to maintain solubility) iron material or copperas (iron sulfate) to the soil.
    Apply a granular iron to the soil.
    Apply a foliar spray of an iron compound; this must be done during the growing period and will have much shorter residual action than the soil applications.

If you need to prune your azaleas, do so after they finish blooming. Minor reshaping is usually all they will need. And remember not to prune any more than necessary after midsummer or you will be cutting off buds that have started to form for the following spring.

Celeste Plunkett, Smith County Master Gardener
    Texas Cooperative Extension
    ---------------------------

Hope these links are helpful in some way.
    irishh7 Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2007, 05:12 PM
    Thank you to all that answered! The azaleas may have an iron deficiency. One of the ways to treat them, that is listed, is to use a soiler acidifier - would that be the same as using a fertilizer for acid loving plants?

Thank you,

Irish

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

HT Rose Bushes [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Ohio. I planted 2 new rose bushes last spring. A white HT John F Kennedy and a red Abraham Lincoln HT. I planted them about 2 feet from each other. They took off and blomed clear up till frost. I cut them back in the fall to about 2 feet from the ground. I noticed that my Blue girl HT...

Rose Bushes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have bought 4 rose bushes from Michigan Bulb. When the roses arrived the weather wasn't permittable to plant them. I received them a week ago. It is still too cold to plant them in the ground. I have been soaking them in a 5 gallon bucket of water with a little mirracle grow mixed in the...

Rose bushes [ 1 Answers ]

What nutrients do rose bushes need to survive

Rose bushes [ 2 Answers ]

We have an older yellow rose bush-this past summer it did not bloom but went totally out of control, even cutting back only compounded the rapid growth. We finally dug it up yesterday, the roots were actually starting to grow under siding a foot or so from the bush itself. We loved the flowers...

Neighbors bushes [ 3 Answers ]

I have a problem with my neighbors bushes hanging past my property line. This wouldn't be such a big deal except the bushes a very thorny and a huge pain to mow under. If I asked my neighbors to trim them and they don't, is it legal for me to trim them? And how long should I wait for them to do...

View more questions Search