Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ahrena Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2005, 08:42 PM
    Need help with career choice
    I'm a high school senior this year, and I'm undecided as to what I want to major in in college. Let me start by saying that I like hard work. I would like a career that lets me work outside at least some of the time. I also make very good grades. I'm at the top of my class and I could probably get into whatever university I want to, but I just don't know what I want to do. Because my grades are so good, I feel pressure as to get a career that the average guy can't get. I feel as though I should get a job that only someone who is fairly intelligent can get. By the way, I'm sorry if I'm starting to sound arrogant. But anyway, some of the subjects I'm interested in and good at are physics and math. I like physics because of the practical aspect of it; as I've said before, I like working with things, and with physics I can see the science happen all around me, which is something I can't personally do with chemistry and biology. Math is easy for me and I like it, especially trigonometry because of the (surprise) physical aspect of it. I would preferably like something that the average joe couldn't do, something that would let me both get out there and use my head. Thanks a lot in advance, and I hope there's a job out there that could suit me.
    shenda Posts: 160, Reputation: 21

Sep 7, 2005, 11:16 PM
    Confidence, not arrogance
    Forensics... medical research... however, any profession you choose will be enhanced by what you bring to the table... your abilities, skills and interest offer the cutting edge... not the people in the marketplace. To view life through a narrow frame of doing what the average joe can not do, sets you up for disappointment. Think about it... the average joe can do most anything if they applied themselves unto instruction; however, many do not because of choice. Let your choice bring fulfillment, nothing is worse than optimizing energy in vain, which diminishes the quality of life. If you enjoy what you are doing, the resources will follow; however, if your primary aim remains at status quo, ask yourself why. Why do you want to pursue a vocation unlike any an average joe could obtain... does this interest center around finding what is special about you, are you seeking "center-stage", or are you more desirous in securing "job security". Remember this, job security equates to your ability to labor, your diversity, or your ability to create a market which will demand your product or service... As we all know, markets that target people insecurities have done well in times past; however, as people learn to embrace and love themselves, these markets may become fleeting... find your core strength, what have you envisioned yourself doing, even in child's play... link your strengths with your imagination, then pursue education (textbook, as well as, hands-on, if at all possible)... Your vocation/profession will consume a great deal of your activities of daily living; if possible, get paid to do what you love, or at least love what you do, beyond mere toleration to ward off comp. extremes, the need to do the outrageous just to bring some type of balance or pleasure in life. I find a more excellent way suitable; discover your core... it shall bring fulfillment, which will increase your value; Bottom line, I feel your desire to locate a non-average joe position stems from your desire to be valued. You are already valuable, now let your choice of profession prove it to you. Person to person comparison equates to undue pressure placed upon you... Think about it... an apple an orange both are fruits, both have juice but which one, if you are a pie eating person would you prefer your pie to be made from. The difference is choice... personally I prefer an orange pie, or Citrus cake as it is commonly called. Basically, I desire for you to focus on the edge you have, the spin your creativity, skills can offer a vocation versus merely choosing a vocation not readily sought after and spend your years productive, yet miserable. However, understand this very important fact, there yet remains fields of interest untapped, un-tilled, fields needed to enhance the quality of life, if your core leads you into such fields, you can be assured that your Pioneering spirit will leap for joy
    ahrena Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2005, 02:48 PM
    The main point you were trying to get across to me, shenda, was that finding a job that embraces my talents and strengths will lead to fulfillment, which will make me much happier in the long run than getting a job that strictly someone without my intelligence could not have. The reason I made my first post was because I realized this was true. My problem is, that I cannot find a job that will do this. The reason I talked about getting a job the "average joe" couldn't get was because that kind of job might come more naturally to me, and I almost feel as though it is my duty to get a higher end job. I was always the kid that, when asked what he wanted to be when he grew up, never had an answer. If I had a job in mind that I would love to do, no matter if I would be surrounded by idiots, I would do it in a heartbeat, because loving what I do is very important to me. I don't feel I need to prove anything to myself or others, or that I'm smarter than anyone else. I mentioned my love of physics and math, paired with the outdoors and physical work. Those are my skills that you kept talking about. That is my core. My problem is turning this core into a career; taking my strangely paired interests and finding a job that matches. I guess what I'm looking for is specific job titles that could match my interests. Maybe that could point me into the right field. That being said, I appreciate your time to read my post and especially to reply. Thanks very much.
    ajc Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2005, 02:39 PM
    Ajc
    Have you considered civil engineering, architecture, or general contractor?
    People like yourself are expected to excel at anything they do, and this can become a heavy weight to bear over time. I think you will find that there are exceptional people working in all fields, and sometimes those that work in fields that are not as "high end" receive more rewards in life. This is often due to their ability to raise the industry standards around them, improving on not only their own skills but that of the entire industry.
    There are already plenty of great minds in medicine and law; where do you want to make your impact felt the greatest?
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Nov 23, 2005, 02:46 PM
    Computer Science, in HW engieering area if you are methodical, SW engineering area if you are creative. It would require a hard working ethic in college and career if you want to go into CS. Financially, it will be rewarding. Looking at longer-term career choice, you can start being an engineer and move to management if you so choose. This is coming from my experience - I was good at math, was a CS major, became an engineer, and am now in management - spanning about 20 years. I've enjoyed it so far. I hope this helps.
    Bikfanat Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2005, 02:22 AM
    You say that you like to do hard work. When you say this I'm assuming that you like to get out there and be physically active. It looks like you are looking for a job that involves intellectual work but lets you work physically part of the time. In other words you want an intellectual job, but don't want to sit in a cubicle more than half the time. Who does? Someone said to go into computer science? I don't think he understood your question. If you want to sit in a cubicle all day long, then do computer science. I'm assuming this is something you don't want. You could try civil engineering, construction engineering, or construction engineering management. The school part is hard and you would spend a lot of time at a desk, but the jobs involve math and physics, which you said you enjoy, and if you land the right job after college you could be out and about on construction sites part of the time making sure the designs are being implemented correctly and that the work is being done right. Be rest assured, however, that you would still spend a lot of time in the office. Later if you decided you would like to continue schooling you could try becoming a surgeon, oral surgeon, or dentist. I know that you said that you didn't connect as well with biology and chemistry, but that is just a means to an end if you want to become a surgeon or dentist. Those jobs would be intellectual, yet would keep you on your feet and using your hands. These are just suggestions. I would suggest taking some career interest tests online and maybe taking an aptitude test to truly find out what you like and are good at. Studies show that people are happiest when they choose fields that utilize their aptitudes. This sounds like a no brainer, but you would be surprised to find out how many people choose the wrong route for themselves because they want something so bad and go after it even though they don't have the right aptitudes for it. If you really don't know what you want, try going to a career counselor. Also, look into taking a serious aptitude test. Just because you are good at physics and Math doesn't mean that you would be a good engineer. The most important aptitude for an engineer is to be able to see things in your mind three dimensionally. You could try Johnson O'Connor research foundation or the Rockport institute to take validated aptitude tests. They are expensive tests, but are well worth the money if you don't know what career to pursue or don't quite understand your aptitudes.
    DJ 'H' Posts: 1,109, Reputation: 114
    Ultra Member

Dec 19, 2005, 04:04 AM
    If you like science and maths, and would like to work outdoors sometimes and indoors sometimes and you like hardwork then becoming an Electrician sounds ideal for you. Both my boyfriend and brother were they same as you and went on to qualify as Electricians. They are very happy with their jobs and the wage they get is superb.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1-OPT-H1B using first year choice [ 18 Answers ]

Great site for all of us.. thanks a lot My case:- Came to US in 2002 on F1, got my opt in feb 2005, and h1 in oct 2005, married and my wife ( was on F2, now on h4) doesn't work. Last year I filed 1040nr and 8843. I tried using 1040NR as my previous year but ended up getting very little...

Multiple Choice, Please help me [ 2 Answers ]

Of the following different types of securities, which is typically considered most risky? a) Certificates of deposit b) Long term government bonds c) common stocks of large companies d) U.S. treasury bills

What is First Year Choice [ 1 Answers ]

Atlanta Tax Expert, Thank you for your assistance. Since my wife's employer didn't withheld her Social Security and Medicare tax because they think she should be exempted from those two taxes, how can she file on her tax form about this? Does she need to pay the penalty? BTW, what's...

First Year Choice statement [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Atlanta Tax Expert, In my earlier posting, you had advised that I wait till about June 2006 and then file as a resident using the First Year Choice( FYI- I changed to H1 status from F1 in Oct 2005) . How many days do I have to be in the US in 2006 to meet the substantial presence test? And...

First Year Choice & Resident / NR [ 6 Answers ]

I stayed in US in 2003 , 2004 and in 2005 and as per substantial presence it is total of 160.5 days (which is less than 183days). 1. I filled 1040NR for 2003 without using First Year Choice and became resident in 2004 mid. Is it possible to amend my 2003 return by using first year choice and...

View more questions Search