Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    roycemek Posts: 44, Reputation: 2

Sep 2, 2007, 01:11 PM
    Outdoor Electrical Recptical Box and Outlets
    I'm currently constructing a new garage and I'm at the phase where the framing is complete. The stucco will be going on soon but before that I would like to have all the exterior electrical receptacles, switches and lights installed.

My question is, are there specific electrical boxes that should be used for an exterior facing installation? Any particular way it should be mounted? The entire exterior of the garage is plywood sheathed, so would I cut an oversize hole in the plywood to gain access to the studs to mount the box or are there some specific installation techniques? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
    Royce M
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2007, 01:43 PM
    Poke around The In Box: Great Looking, Saves Time

You can find boxes of all combinations and for different siding.

Sep 3, 2007, 03:08 PM
    Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for. They have a lot of really nice stuff there. I now just have to find a dealer in my area so I can get a few of them.

I have one other question with regards to the outdoor electrical boxes and that is for the installation of some exterior wall lights or sconces (sp?). I noticed that there are two sizes commonly found at the local diy center and that is either a 3" or 4" round box (Carlon part number B518A or B520A respectively). Without having picked the specific lights I'm going to use outside is there one size more commonly used for exterior wall lights? Am I even looking at the correct boxes to be using for these exterior wall lights?

Thank you,
    Royce M
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2007, 05:25 PM
    Use the 4 inch round box.

Sep 9, 2007, 10:47 PM
    Thanks TK. I finally received the Arlington outdoor receptacle boxes (DBVS1C - stucco "In Box") and installed them today and they worked out great. Very easy to install.

For the exterior lighting I picked up a few 4/0 round boxes (Carlon B520P-UPC). Working with them today I just couldn't seem to get them to sit at the correct height for stucco (7/8" past the plywood sheathing). I'm not even sure if I was attaching them correctly using the included nails. Those were impossible to work with at the point where I had the box sitting 7/8" out through the plywood sheathing. I couldn't find anything at Arlington that installed like the stucco "In Box" but was for exterior lights (3/0 4/0 round box). Did I miss it in there catalog or do you know of a better way?

Thanks,
    Royce M

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Outdoor junction box [ 2 Answers ]

The house I bought has an GFI outlet in the middle of the back yard (they had a pool). I want to remove that outlet and place it further at the back of the property. Is there a issue with splicing the old wires to new ones w/wire nuts, putting them in a small junction box & burring it?

Electrical Outlets in the bathroom [ 4 Answers ]

I have two separate bathrooms at opposite ends of the house. The plug-ins have been work find until this week. They both have the test and reset buttons on the front of them. One is red and the other one is black. I have checked the buttons. They are fine. I have pushed the rest button and it...

Electrical Outlets in Home [ 2 Answers ]

:( Help... All the electrical outlets on the left side of my home stopped working after using the vacuum in one of those outlets. Everything on that side stopped while vacuuming. I checked the breaker box and all looks fine, Which should be my next steps. My home is a little over a year old. I...

Electrical Outlets [ 1 Answers ]

I have two outlets in my bathroom that supports a washer and dryer. One out is a reset outlet and the other is a normal standard outlet. I replaced both and only the reset outlet is working. How come the standed outlet has no power? The white and black wires are connected correctly.

Outdoor outlets not working. HELP! [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Here's my dilemma: I have 3 ooutdoor outlets along the back of my property. As far as I know all have worked up until this morning. There was a terrible storm yesterday where flooding, high wind and long periods of down pours were present; now none of the electrical outlets are working. I...

View more questions Search