Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Sep 7, 2005, 07:07 PM
    Hold Music for telephone
    Greetings,

Is there a possible way I can set up a "hold" system on my general telephone? I know that it is not possible to hold separate calls without call waiting, etc. (unless one has a large phone system) but for instance if I need to look for something for someone who calls, rather than setting down the phone on the desk, how could I set up a system where it switches the line to a CD player output or computer audio, etc. to run over the phone line while still being connected?

Sorry if that was a bit confusing, if you need more info, just ask.

Thanks so much for your help!
    shenda Posts: 160, Reputation: 21

Sep 7, 2005, 11:56 PM
    Short cut
    My girlfriend recently went into practice for herself, she had the same question and again I have not the answer, jokingly, I suggested that she keeps a portable device set (volume control, choice of music) place the rec'vr next to the device and hit the play button until she is able to return to the caller. She did it and subsequently until she purchased a larger phone system. I thought I would share, maybe on a temp basis this could work for you.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2005, 01:30 AM
    I seriously dount there is any way. You're phone would need to have a hold option and also something like an audio in port so you can connect a CD player to it.

Best bet if you awnt to do this is to buy a new phone. You could always use your PC to answer the calls because I'm sure there's bound to be some bit of software out there where you can answer calls on your PC and play MP3's to hold the call.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2005, 05:03 AM
    Music on Hold
    Hi,
    This might be a "longshot", but have you considered calling your phone company Customer Service?
    They might have something.
    Best wishes,
    fredg

Sep 8, 2005, 12:59 PM
    Thanks for everyone's input!

Shenda - that's funny because that is what I currently do when a client calls me, but see I want to be able to "talk about" the client while they are on hold without hearing me... (some people who call are just plain ignorant! Lol!)

LTheobald - I will definitely look into finding some sort of free software that allows calls through the computer - that is definitely a possibility (ah the internet and its endless resources)

fredg - I have called the phone company for various reasons within the past few months and they pretty much have said that I would need a different phone plan to do a full fledged hold system.

Thanks very much for everyone's help!

I'll let you know if I find any good software!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 8, 2005, 02:08 PM
    There are systems that can be used with a regular phone like this one:

http://www.flashpointstudios.com/ohp5500.html

Try googling music on hold for regular phones and see what else you come up with.

Sep 8, 2005, 02:15 PM
    Hey, thanks for the research! That is a nice product! I will keep that in mind or maybe I'll find a similar device that can do the same thing.

Thanks!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 9, 2005, 02:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by wzartv
    Hey, thanks for the research! That is a nice product! I will keep that in mind or maybe I'll find a similar device that can do the same thing.

Thanks!
    Glad to assist. The research wasn't very much ;)
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Nov 21, 2005, 12:40 PM
    Wz... no problem. Just a quick net search and I found a couple SOHO grade MOH products in the $150-$300 range... I am sure there's lots more.

Ref:
    http://www.wordsandmusiconhold.com/addgrtwph.html
    http://www.wordsandmusiconhold.com/mumeonadphwi.html

Also, if you are a DIYer & slightly eTechnical, the MOH circuit is very basic circuit (aka simple & cheap) to build. In addition, since it uses the (US) phone 48v supply, it does even need a power supplier - just a music a/o message source...

Ref:
    http://www.electronics-lab.com/proje...002/index.html

Enjoy...

P2E

PS Shenda, this out of get you a least a kiss... :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by wzartv
    Greetings,

Is there a possible way I can set up a "hold" system on my general telephone? I know that it is not possible to hold seperate calls without call waiting, etc. (unless one has a large phone system) but for instance if I need to look for something for someone who calls, rather than setting down the phone on the desk, how could I set up a system where it switches the line to a CD player output or computer audio, etc. to run over the phone line while still being connected?

Sorry if that was a bit confusing, if you need more info, just ask.

Thanks so much for your help!

Nov 21, 2005, 02:53 PM
    Also, if you are a DIYer & slightly eTechnical, the MOH circuit is very basic circuit (aka simple & cheap) to build. In addition, since it uses the (US) phone 48v supply, it does even need a power supplier - just a music a/o message source...

Ref:
    http://www.electronics-lab.com/proj.../002/index.html
    Wow! What a great link... I think I'll look into doing that... I'll let you know what happens if I do!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About how much songs does 128MB hold? [ 3 Answers ]

I was just wondering how many min./hours do mp3s hold

Deposit to hold an apartment [ 2 Answers ]

In CA, if a person gives a $650 deposit to hold an apartment in the beginning December with the intention of moving in on the first of Januaryand then decides that he doesn't want to move in after all and notifies the landlord on Dec 20th, is he entitled to any of the deposit? The landlord was not...

Have to hold Shift key [ 2 Answers ]

When I want to open a link in a web page, and also in an email message, I have to hold down the Shift key and Enter key at the same time. This just started a little while ago. Is there someway I can reset or change it so all I have to do is hit the Enter key again? Thanks, Jim

View more questions Search