Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mjwriz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2005, 06:45 PM
    Starting kawasaki kz650
    I just bought a 1977 kawasaki kz650. It ran fine when I got it home, and then I cleaned and sprayed some of the bike with a pressure washer. After that it started hard and now it doesn't start at all. I drained the gas and put new in, charged the battery, and cleaned the plugs. I don't why it won't start. It also badly backfires when trying to start it now. Could it be the timing or the carbs?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2005, 07:57 PM
    Carbs, you most likely got water in them...
    mjwriz Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 8, 2005, 07:02 AM
    Getting kawasaki kz650 starting
    How do I get the water out of the carbs? Do I have to clean them?
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2005, 05:04 PM
    Get some carb cleaner... now if the carbs are old originals... IE not been cleaned and rebuilt since new maybe? I'd actually rebuild them from the ground up, new gasket sets and all... yeah you'll have to though take them off, maybe blow them out with compressed air and reassemble... don't know for sure but do the carbs have fuel bowls on them? Well water sinks, fuel floats... check those out for sure.
    GrandpaOgre Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2006, 09:17 PM
    Check to see if skark plug hole is full of water
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwriz
    i just bought a 1977 kawasaki kz650. it ran fine when i got it home, and then i cleaned and sprayed some of the bike with a pressure washer. after that it started hard and now it doesn't start at all. i drained the gas and put new in, charged the battery, and cleaned the plugs. I don't why it won't start. it also badly backfires when trying to start it now. could it be the timing or the carbs?
    I had a similar problem with a 85 900 ninja last year, turned out to be a spark plug hole was full of water and shorting out the bike. Used a rag to remove excess water and ran great right away, did take 4 days and a lot of unnecessary work to find. Good luck.
    babybear1969 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 25, 2007, 12:03 PM
    It sounds like you got your points wet while washing your bike. The points are located on the right side of the motor (as if you were sitting on the bike) under the cover that says Kawasaki on it. Try drying them out and then try to start it
    johnguedj Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Jul 26, 2007, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mjwriz
    i just bought a 1977 kawasaki kz650. it ran fine when i got it home, and then i cleaned and sprayed some of the bike with a pressure washer. after that it started hard and now it doesn't start at all. i drained the gas and put new in, charged the battery, and cleaned the plugs. I don't why it won't start. it also badly backfires when trying to start it now. could it be the timing or the carbs?
    Hi,it looks like you drown one or 2 sets of points,behind the points cover,carefully insert a CLEAN piece of stiff paper between the points set and gently pull the paper to clean the points.
    Freedom_rider Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2011, 01:55 PM

Replace the points with an electronic ignition.

Then if you get water in the carbs remove the drains screws one at a time. Put some silicone grease on the O-rings and re-install. Once that is done put fuel switch to 'prime' and wait 5 minutes. Start bike.

If the wires are shorting then replace the wires and coils if you're running a stock setup. Once those wires start cracking it's all down hill.

It is cheaper to replace the stock coils with after market racing coils and ignition.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kz650 specs [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me what the carb float measurement should be for a 1978 kz650. I just rebuilt the carbs and they still leak gas from the bowls. Any suggestions?

KZ650 sump gasket [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell where I can obtain a KZ650 (cerca 77-80) sump gasket. I know I can get one from Athena-Ad in Italy but it is in a complete gasket kit.

1977 KZ650 oil problem [ 5 Answers ]

Just bought a 1977 KZ650 with 23,000 miles... there wasn't a drop of oil on the ground or on the bike (old or new) and the bike hadn't been moved in two plus weeks... I got the bike home (about a 30 minute ride) and found oil blowing out a small tube below the carbs... any ideas? What if anything...

Kawasaki [ 2 Answers ]

My kawaski motorcycle taillight always stay on

Kawasaki kz 650 [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought a 79 kz 650 and I was told the carbs need reset. How do I go about doing this?

View more questions Search