Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    brownsounds Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Overhead sewer system
    I am looking for information on an overhead system. I just bought a home and discovered during the rain that water comes up through the floor drains. Do you think an overhead sewer system would fix the problem? Also after the rain stopped (10 days worth) I find that every time a large load of clothes are washed the water comes up through the 2 floor drains. I am wondering if it is a back up in the main sewer line. I has been rodded three (3) times since May 29, 2007. Before the rain the washer did not make the drains overflow. Will another rodding through the floor drains stop that? I was told to try a standpipe, a sump pump a flood control system which is very expensive and even an overhead sewer to stop the problem. The last time it was rodded out to the street we did pull out tree roots. At this point I am at wits end on how to keep my basement dry. You can imagine with the rain we had in the Chicago Area a week ago everyday was an adventure. The water would drain but as soon as it started to rain again we had water. I was told to also move the downspouts from out of the main sewer line but it appears this has nothing to do with my washer causing the floor drains to overflow.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Sep 2, 2007, 08:56 AM
    Number one should be the removal of the tree roots. Diverting rainwater into your sewer system doesn't help your drainage one bit. But I think if you would dig up the section that allows tree roots and repair it you would control the backuos. All the other things are just speculations and aren't going to help with tree roots blocking the flow in the sewer line to the street. Address the roots first. In the meantime this may help. : You have roots growing in your line because there is a break and the roots grow through the opening. If you wish a permament fix you will have to have to locate the break and repair it. Is your sewer line plastic, cast iron, or terra cotta? If you know where your snake first picked up roots you can measure how much cable you have out and then dig in that spot. If not, then I have found, with the exception of cracked terra cotta lines, the open to be at the city raiser located at the edge of your property line. This is where your sewer line connects into the city sewer. If you don't know where the raiser is, call your utilities department and ask for the measurement and location. They keep it on record. If you locate a break and you can see roots you won't have to replace any pipe. Simply clear the roots away and regrout the connection with cement. Hope this helps and thank you for rating my reply. TOM PS. For a short term fix run some copper sulphate down the line to kill the roots. This will give you some "breathing room" until you can repair it permanently. Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Conversion from septic system to public sewer [ 4 Answers ]

I am considering purchase of a home that currently has a septic system, but the township is installing a public sewer line and at some point, owners will have to connect. I have been told that the cost elements would be: (A). Project cost pro-ration; i.e.: project cost pro-rated among all...

All my toilets smell like a sewer! Sewer backed up? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello all, I have a problem and was hoping for some guidance... lately all of my toilets have been smelling really bad. We have 3 toilets in the house, 2 full baths on the upper level, and a powder room on the main. The main bath on the upper level is the worse of the 3. It doesn't get...

Sewer gas - did I hook up to main sewer line correctly? [ 3 Answers ]

Moved a mobile home in and ran the sewer line to the main line - on some days I smell sewer gas, and I think it's coming from the vents on the house! - I want to know if I should o had put a "P" trap or something in line before hooking up to main sewer line? I have seen other places saying to...

Sewer system project thingy (high school student needs some info!) [ 1 Answers ]

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: OK, I'm a high school student and I'm am confused on where the sewer systems go. I need too find out if I flush a fish down a toilet in the city (so a city sewer system I think) where would it go? And if I flushed a fish down the toilet out in the...

Overhead Sewer System; homeowner [ 1 Answers ]

Hi ho! My son bought a house with an overhead sewer system. It looks like the basment back-discharge toilet was added in recent history. There is also a utility sink with its own motorized pump connected to the sewer drain discharge pipe (on its way to the street). The main sewer system...

View more questions Search