Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cauchy Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Aug 31, 2007, 10:35 PM
    Can Men and Women truly be "friends"?
    I am a married woman, but I work with a lot of men, and I consider many of them to be my friend. So there are some guys who probably have more than just innocent plutonic feelings for me, and some of them I like a lot, and I like talking to them, and some times hanging out with them. Is this OK? Some times me and my co-workers go out for field work for days at a time, and I might go out to the bar with some of them, and there will be one guy who is nicer to me than the rest and I will kind of latch on to him, and this one guy, we would talk about music, and politics and our work, till all hours of the night, and I know he has feelings for me, but I cannot reciprocate, because I am married. So we get back from the field, he is going through a separation, and I come back to my husband, but there are still things I want to talk to him about, I mean, at my work, I am kind of new, and I still have a lot to learn about the equipment that we use, and he has a lot to teach me, but I feel like maybe I should not call him, or e-mail him, or hang out with him, because I am married, and for me to try and pursue a plutonic relationship with him is wrong, because I know he likes me. He says he is fine with him and I just being friends, and that he has a lot of women friends, but I don't know.

Can any one, especially you men out there, give me some insight into what I need to do?
    Should I just not call him, even if I have a question, or what? Should I not try to hang out with him? What is the right thing to do. I will tell you the truth, I really want to call him, but I am afraid, that he will think that he is wasting his time with a woman who dose not want to be with him.

Help Me!!
    diya Posts: 303, Reputation: 62

Sep 1, 2007, 06:16 AM
    It's nice when u think of men and women being just nice friends but such idealistic situations in modern times have started to diminish. Especially if you know he's interested in you and u're not very comfortable with it because u think u're married, then u should not call... and make it clear to him too if u do not wish to lose a good friend. If he truly likes u as a friend, he will keep talking irrespective... and that way, u guys will always enjoy each other's company...
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2007, 06:24 AM
    I'm a guy, I have lots of friends who are girls. No, I don't want to sleep with them.
    Dennis777 Posts: 478, Reputation: 124

Sep 1, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Hello.

YES you can be just friends, I have many lady friends and we all enjoy spending time together. We flirt with each other but we never cross the line. We all need that extra energy we pick up from others. Because you enjoy being around other people doesn't mean your not still in Love with your husband. It means your normal just like the rest of us. It's how you act with your friends that count. Never take time meant for your husband and give it to your friends. Never lie to your husband about your friends. Let your husband meet them all so there is no misunderstanding.

The BIG question is are you scared you might cross that line and if so then back away. It's normal to feel attracted to another person even when your married. It can even be healthy to have a fantasy about a friend or co-worker. BUT you have to feel good about yourself and know you will never cross that line.

Dennis777
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 1, 2007, 06:39 AM
    I believe it's OK to have plutonic friends, at work or otherwise. Just don't lead each other on, and don't use the person.
    It's up to both to establish guidelines. Early. He knows your status. You know his.

Are you apprehensive because he finds you attractive and you may not be strong enough?
    Do you hang with him because he's attracted to you or because, if you don't, he may not train you?

And ask youself: Would we do these things together if roles were reversed. Or if he were a she...

Personally, I find it helpful to have friends of the opposite sex, so long as both understands and is respectful of each other's opnions and guidelines.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Yes, men and women can be just friends. Often it is better that way! But your situation with the man who is recently separated and you know he has more than platonic feelings for you, is a bit touchy. I would remain friends but really watch how close to the line this comes. He may be translating your friendship into something a bit more than you are.
    As long as you have defined the relationship with him and he says that it works that way for him, you should be okay. There is nothing wrong with having good friends of the opposite sex. Since you are already concerned, it serves as a gentle reminder of your life at home.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 07:13 AM
    Personally I do not think it is right to latch onto a man even to have fun especially if you know he has feelings for you.
    This is leading him on and his interest will increase in you the more time you spend with him.About the office work,maybe you could find someone who is not interested in you in the first place to help.You seem to be apprehensive about contacting him even for work purposes, so keep that intuitive feeling and follow it,it may save you from a sticky situation.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 2, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Stay within your boudaries and you can have as many friends of the opposite sex as you like, but if you get a feeling, and have doubts, You should pay attention and be very cautious.
    shortyz Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2007, 04:59 PM
    I think that its OK to call him and just let him know if you don't want anything other than friends. Good luck
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2007, 08:29 PM
    Men and women can be friends but there is a fine line between, once you realize he has more for you then maybe you need to back off a little bit if you just want pure friendship between you two.
    Never lead him to the wrong impression and give him this dream and not waking him up.
    cauchy Posts: 16, Reputation: 3

Oct 20, 2007, 12:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cauchy
    I am a married woman, but I work with alot of men, and I consider many of them to be my friend. So there are some guys who probably have more than just innocent plutonic feelings for me, and some of them I like alot, and I like talking to them, and some times hanging out with them. Is this OK? Some times me and my co-workers go out for field work for days at a time, and I might go out to the bar with some of them, and there will be one guy who is nicer to me than the rest and I will kind of latch on to him, and this one guy, we would talk about music, and politics and our work, till all hours of the night, and I know he has feelings for me, but I cannot reciprocate, because I am married. So we get back from the field, he is going through a separation, and I come back to my husband, but there are still things I want to talk to him about, I mean, at my work, I am kind of new, and I still have alot to learn about the equipment that we use, and he has alot to teach me, but I feel like maybe I should not call him, or e-mail him, or hang out with him, because I am married, and for me to try and persue a plutonic relationship with him is wrong, because I know he likes me. He says he is fine with him and I just being friends, and that he has alot of women friends, but I don't know.

Can any one, especially you men out there, give me some insight into what I need to do?
    Should I just not call him, even if I have a question, or what? Should I not try to hang out with him? What is the right thing to do. I will tell you the truth, I really want to call him, but I am afraid, that he will think that he is wasting his time with a woman who dose not want to be with him.

Help Me!!!!!
    You whore your boyfreind josh tell them the truth
    rpg219 Posts: 504, Reputation: 81

Oct 20, 2007, 01:19 AM
    Are you calling yourself a whore? Why, because you have an interest in another man? That is natural... as long as you don't act on it (or did you?). I don't see the problem with a friendship when you're married, as long as you can control your actions.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2007, 01:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cauchy
    you whore your boyfreind josh tell them the truth
    Is someone else using this account to get back at the OP ?

Or are you calling yourself names?
    Greg Quinn Posts: 486, Reputation: 85

Oct 20, 2007, 01:49 AM
    That was a little odd.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Honda accord 2000 6 cyl " the light "check" is on" [ 1 Answers ]

My honda accord 2000 6 cyl. With 101000k miles is was with the light "check" on. I took To a non-honda mechanic and he erased it. The computer said that the code is PO700, and the mechanic said that it needs to have the "transmission rebuilt", and the price ranges from $ 1500.00 - 1600.00. My...

Can not "copy", "paste" and "cut" ! [ 2 Answers ]

Last week, my laptop was infected by virus, I sent for repair. After that, I couldn't find "copy" and "cut", and"paste" is in grey colour ! What have to do to have them back ? Can someone help ? Thanks in advance !

My girlfreind has many man "friends", am I being jealous or controlling? [ 8 Answers ]

Hi Everyone; I REALLY hope to get some responses to help me with this, and I respect all that reply... ty My girlfriend and I are very much in love, at least I hope we both are. I am a guy that is very family orientated, and care very much about my partners feelings, and happiness. My...

Dale Carnegie's "Winning friends & influencing people" [ 1 Answers ]

Is there anybody out there who rates this seminal work as much as I do? I'm a company director and I'm always looking for inspiration. I was a bit doubtful about it because of its age but I now have the audio book in my car and listen to it often on the way to work to set me up for the day. I'd...

Hypothetically... the "Friends" statement [ 32 Answers ]

I am not in this position yet, but if I do get there, I'd like to know how to handle it... and I'm sure a lot of other people would too. What if your ex or soon-to-be ex drops one of these bombs on you: "Let's be friends" "I couldn't stand to lose you as a friend" "I still need you in my...

View more questions Search