Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jamesdragon30 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Aug 31, 2007, 08:06 PM
    Foster kitten in very bad shape, aid needed quickly
    We are fostering a female and her 7 kittens. One of them since 6:00 am to 8:00 p.m. has gone down hill fast, and no vets are open in our little town. The kitten is lethargic, mostly non responsive, but will occasionally fight when we try and get liquid into it. You can barely feel the ribs, but the spine and hips are very pronounced. The skin reacts as though the kitten is dehydrated, yet it refuses water or kitten milk replacer. The female doesn't nurse them much, but the rest are eating some dry food. Also it's equilibrium is almost completely gone. It was not like this this morning, and it's siblings are very active and alert.
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Aug 31, 2007, 08:58 PM
    If it won't take warm milk or melted warm ice cream from an eye dropper you just have to let it go. Not every kitten is going to make it - have seen that over the years. Like human infants sometimes birth defects show up very early and the kitten's system will just shut down, like Sudden Infant Death Syndrome.
    Sounds like you've done everything you can.
    The only other thing you can do is some energy healing - hold the kitten in your hands over your heart or belly button to give it some life energy. However, dehydration is just the end for cats so I think it's just too late for anything at this point.

Some of God's critters are only here for just a little while, others for longer.
    jamesdragon30 Posts: 8, Reputation: 3

Sep 4, 2007, 02:14 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdragon30
    We are fostering a female and her 7 kittens. One of them since 6:00 am to 8:00 p.m. has gone down hill fast, and no vets are open in our little town. The kitten is lethargic, mostly non responsive, but will occasionally fight when we try and get liquid into it. You can barely feel the ribs, but the spine and hips are very pronounced. The skin reacts as though the kitten is dehydrated, yet it refuses water or kitten milk replacer. the female doesn't nurse them much, but the rest are eating some dry food. Also it's equilibrium is almost completely gone. It was not like this this morning, and it's siblings are very active and alert.
    Thanks anyway, but the kitten passed. The vet I took it too said that it faded, which isn't uncommon in large litters.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foster kids [ 4 Answers ]

My brother and his wife are foster parents to two little girls 5 and 9. Origionally he wanted to adopt them, the problem is both girls are out of control and they lie and break everything and tear wallpaper down and now my nephew is starting to act like them. We all have become attached to these...

Lawn in bad shape [ 3 Answers ]

My lawn is in bad shape right now. It has crabgrass, onion grass, garlic, and moss growing throughout my yard. I also have several spots which are pretty bare. I was thinking of using a core aerator on the lawn to start. I would then follow it with a pelletized lime application since I don't...

Kitten - urgent advice needed [ 4 Answers ]

Dear All, We brought home a stray kitten at the age of 2 weeks. Everything had been all right with him until the time he got about 4 months old. We were about to take him to the vet for the initial vacination when suddenly he started losing hair on his head. There appeared some small verruca like...

View more questions Search