Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ordinaryguy Posts: 1,790, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 9, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GoinDown
    Do you think all this talk is just my way of justify drinking again? Am I fooling myself? Can't I just try to set my boundaries and stick with them?
    Only you know the answers to these questions, and even you may not know yet. Alcohol is different things to different people. For some people, it's such a potent poison that even one drink every ten years is one too many. For others, it's not that toxic maybe, but extremely dangerous nonetheless. For others, it's just one of life's simple pleasures. Once you know what it is to you, act accordingly, that's all. Self-delusion is easy, so ruthless honesty with yourself is your first line of defense.
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 9, 2007, 12:20 PM

So I'm wondering now if I couldn't just take the month of September 'off' from drinking and re-evaluate and set some concrete boundaries for myself. I'm not having a real difficult time not drinking. I still think it would be nice in the evening to have a glass of wine or a beer, but since it's not here and I've resolved not to drink, I'm ok. Do you think all this talk is just my way of justify drinking again? Am I fooling myself? Can't I just try to set my boundaries and stick with them?
    You need to be careful... you have done great so far.

When someone hassles you about not drinking in a social situation, tell them you have your own remedy, and leave it at that, and make your way away.

I'm sorry the online thing didn't work. Reading isn't the same as being there. That's for sure. If you can set a goal for the month of September, you may find , hey, I've done this and survived. Why try dabbling back into something that can bring me down? Way down.

The longer you hold out, the more natural it will be! Hang tough!
    GoinDown Posts: 15, Reputation: 3

Sep 10, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Thanks Captain... I'll continue with my plan for September and re-evaluate then. I do feel better lately not waking up every night having to drink water and so on, so right now not drinking is the best thing for me. It was only after that party that I felt bummed out that I can't have a drink. But I can't stay away from my friends forever. Some of my friends do drink more than others, but no one seems to have a drinking problem (that I know of). Anyhow, thanks for your support and kind words. It is motivating for me.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 10, 2007, 11:10 AM
    The problem is frequently kept secret.

There are many ways to hide addictions like alcohol.

I'm glad to see you being strong!

Remember the longer you go, the better and easier it is.

Sep 13, 2007, 02:46 PM
    10 days... and counting...

Well, things are still going all right. I still find myself figity, but the headaches are gone. I'm a little worried about this weekend - we're going out of town to visit family and most of them are (social) drinkers. I feel very little temptation until I have to be around it. It's all right, I won't bust - just sucks to deny myself when I want to self-gratify. I think I have an addictive personality - but I don't really know what that is! :)
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 13, 2007, 02:51 PM
    Hoo-Raaah! 10 Days and going good!

Get something to carry instead... I like the apple juice thing! Just remember, they aren't in control of you... YOU are! Keep smiling and stay strong!
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 13, 2007, 03:11 PM
    I am so happy for you Going Down,
    You have your own anonymous group for you to share and people to cheer you on right here at AMHD :).

And about your friends not having a drinking problem, wait until they are ageing and find out all that is wrong with too much alcohol and they will see problems.
    Now you, you have chosen to stop for yourself and that takes courage,we are so proud of you for making that choice for whatever reason.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 13, 2007, 03:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    I am so happy for you Going Down,
    you have your own anonymous group for you to share and people to cheer you on right here at AMHD :).

And about your friends not having a drinking problem, wait until they are ageing and find out all that is wrong with too much alcohol and they will see problems.
    Now you, you have chosen to stop for yourself and that takes courage,we are so proud of you for making that choice for whatever reason.
    See there! Strength in numbers!
    Freda1962 Posts: 42, Reputation: 1

Sep 28, 2007, 06:30 AM
    Over the past year or so I've found myself having at least one drink a day. I enjoyed having a glass of wine or a beer with dinner or later on in the evening. Well, slowly, the number of drinks have increased and I can't seem to stop. I have one drink, and it feels so good to have that warm feeling that I find myself reaching for another ... and another. I don't usually get super drunk, but I like to have that buzzed feeling.

I'm afraid now, though, because I've tried to cut down. If there's any alcohol in the house (there almost always is), I will drink it even though I promise myself to take a break. Then I will promise myself just to have one drink, only to have more. I've taken the 'do you think you're an alcoholic' tests on the internet and failed. I'm afraid of what this could be doing to my body. I'm afraid of it getting worse. I just want some tips or ideas on how to stop or control my drinking.
    G, I wish you the best of luck... I myself like you started with the one drink a day,then lead to 2,3,4, and before I knew it a 6 or more. I lost my husband in "00" then found myself drinking myself to death. I became very sick in "05" I had pancreatitus and did not know it so I then found myself drinking and taking presciption pain pills to get rid of the pain. Please please stop before you damage your body,life,soul your family you have a lot to loose so please remember that. I wish you the best of luck and praying never hurt anyone!
    cerulean Posts: 110, Reputation: 5

Sep 28, 2007, 03:16 PM
    AGAIN I'm saying, try hypnosis, the cd's or a good hypnotist. It really works, it will diminish the reasons you drink and control the withdrawal at the same time.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 28, 2007, 04:01 PM
    The saddening part: I've PMed and otherwise checked... We haven't seen or heard from GoinDown for over two weeks. Frankly, I'm concerned. Anybody got any ideas?

You told us you'd hang through September..? Where you at??
    Ultra Member

Sep 28, 2007, 06:01 PM
    In Rehab?
    I do not want to think the worst,but I can imagine...
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Sep 28, 2007, 06:18 PM
    We can hope, firmie... we all hope. Maybe there is another route to be tread...
    cat7girl58 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 3, 2007, 06:37 PM
    Over the past year or so I've found myself having at least one drink a day. I enjoyed having a glass of wine or a beer with dinner or later on in the evening. Well, slowly, the number of drinks have increased and I can't seem to stop. I have one drink, and it feels so good to have that warm feeling that I find myself reaching for another ... and another. I don't usually get super drunk, but I like to have that buzzed feeling.

I'm afraid now, though, because I've tried to cut down. If there's any alcohol in the house (there almost always is), I will drink it even though I promise myself to take a break. Then I will promise myself just to have one drink, only to have more. I've taken the 'do you think you're an alcoholic' tests on the internet and failed. I'm afraid of what this could be doing to my body. I'm afraid of it getting worse. I just want some tips or ideas on how to stop or control my drinking.
    Contact your local AA group. Take that 1st step.
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    We can hope, firmie... we all hope. Maybe there is another route to be tread...
    He still hasn't come back?
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 3, 2007, 07:10 PM
    No sign, Firmy. Nothing since Sept 13th. I don't know...

Oct 6, 2007, 12:02 AM
    I'm sorry not to check in... it's nice to know people are interested. My update: I guess I've fallen off the wagon. I am drinking again, not everyday, and I'm trying to control myself. Sometimes I can, sometimes I can't. I think I lasted about 3 weeks without. Then we went to visit family out of town and I had one drink over the weekend. I didn't drink for about a week. My husband went out of town last weekend and I got really wasted... I did that alone - I looked forward to it. I don't know - I'd like to think that I can control myself... I think I'm fooling myself. But I also think I have to be one of the dumb ones and hit my personal bottom before I really know for sure. Sounds stupid, I know. It's hard to keep the motivation going. It's hard to keep caring. And I don't want to get labeled. Excuses? Probably.
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 01:54 AM
    At least you admit you drank again even if it is to us.
    Do not lose hope... try and try again.
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 6, 2007, 05:32 AM
    It's good to see you back and to know you're doing OK. You had the courage to come back here and be honest with us. I admire that.

That one drink over the weekend... how did that come about? How did it make you feel while you were having it? Probably a little guilty? Maybe nervous for letting your guard down? Got wasted, huh? That must have made you feel good the next day! I admit, I fell off after a few weeks, too. The first time drinking again at first made me really wasted really fast, and the next day (of was it two?) I was certain getting so wasted was no longer for me.

You don't want to get labeled? What's wrong with "Successful"? Everyone carries labels... It depends on who you're with and what you're doing that determines your label for the moment. Hitting the bottom isn't likely to give you more motivation, nor the type of label that will make you happy.

Keep your strength and stay determined. Find an activity that keeps you busy. If you need to talk, just come in here a look for someone. We're on your side!
    KBC Posts: 2,550, Reputation: 487
    Ultra Member

Oct 6, 2007, 06:29 AM
    HI,
    I was lurking on the sidelines,reading this post a few days ago,wondering where you might have gone too!
    I am in recovery from drinking,AA has taught me a lot about coping skills(HOW=Hhonestly,Open minded,Wwillingness)This is the basic formula.
    You have got them down,It's the drink you can't keep down(on the table... lol)
    If the drinking is a problem why not look for like minded people? AA'ers,in the beginning,think that THEY are the only ones that did"THIS",or "THAT",or felt like"THIS/THAT".Do you? do you think you'll "fit in",or is this just a passing phase in your drinking?Are you of the mind of 'It'll pass if I can just... '?
    Are your fears founded,or just smoke in the wind?

MY drinking career(EX now) was founded on fear,the relief of fear,the need to fit-in,to be accepted by others,and the uncontrollable need to have a drink when I felt like it,no matter what!

I am just ranting now... hope this helps some,
    Ken

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why won't it stop? What would make it stop? [ 6 Answers ]

I don't know why But I can't let go of my ex. I don't care about anyone else I just want her. It has been going on now for 3 months. People say time will heal, how long of time? It is beginning to destroy my life I don't even want to get out of bed. I feel that I cannot be full again with out her?...

My old aged dog won't stop drinking [ 6 Answers ]

My dog who is 16 years old just won't stop drinking water. We will fill his bowl up and he will drink it until its all gone. He will even get that desperate to have a drink that he will go try and drink out of the toilet which he has not done since he was a puppy

How does someone get addicted? [ 8 Answers ]

How does someone get addicted to such things as anorexia, bulemia, cutting themselves and things like that, when you aren't putting anything into your body as if you were doing drugs or drinking alcohol? :confused:

I'm so addicted to going out. [ 3 Answers ]

And I really don't know how to stop, I seriously go out EVERY NIGHT! For example, this is my schedule Sunday, have lunch with someone, ANYONE, somewhere, then at night I pretty up and go to the club Monday, if I'm not working, I go shopping then later at night, meet up with friends for drinks or...

Addicted [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am so addicted to women, I mean like naked and bikini girls and stuff but I feel if I show it to people I know and stuff it will embarrass me (sorry about the spelling) What do I do?

View more questions Search