Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1Spartan1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 11:26 AM
    My wages are being garnished!
    I live in Florida, I received a notice from a collection agency, one that has been in existence for 40 years. I was informed that they had recovered an account from a wireless providerthat I had service with from the year 2002. First off, I do not recall having the sercvice during that time, I do recall having the service in the mid 1990's, however, I was forced to pay a security deposit of $1000.00, which I never had refunded and should have satisfied any debts that I owed. Secondly, I received a court order informing me that 25% of my salary is being garnished (something I cannot afford to have happen and pay my rent). My employer had already been contacted and the garnishment has begun. I did not receive a court date informing me of this occurring or providing me with the justification. Shouldn't I have been informed and been told why this was happening. I filed an appeal with the courts to claim an exemption and that was declined. What can I do to have the garnishment lifted since I was never notified of a court date and an explanation of why the garnishment was being placed on my wages? Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 31, 2007, 11:42 AM
    The court order authorizing the garnishment should indicate when and where they obtained a judgement against you. You need to file a Motion to Vacate that judgement on the grounds of improper service since you were never informed of the original suit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wages being garnished for 15yrs old judgment [ 2 Answers ]

I have been looking on this site and I'm amazed at how many other seen to be having the same trouble. I counted at least 5 post just on this page who are having to deal with old debts. I think my has most of them beat since it's org file date was from 1992. Well this is my situation and my...

Garnished Wages in Massachusetts [ 10 Answers ]

Can a debt collector for a repoed car garnish my wages, What is the process of doing so, do I actually have to appear in court before it happens, and can threatening messages be left on my answering machine that she's going to garnish my wages and do I have the right to request any paper work of...

Can my wages be garnished for spouses student loans? [ 6 Answers ]

A company we have never heard of before is threatening to garnish my spouses wages because we can not pay what they are asking us to pay. My wife is currently a stay-at-home mom and has no income. Can my wages be garnished for her student loan debt? Can our joint bank account be garnished?

Wages Garnished [ 3 Answers ]

Who Much Or Want Percent Can The IRS Take From My Wages

View more questions Search