Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    K9teeth Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 09:32 AM
    I need tips
    Until yesterday my daschund always wanted to play with me or my bro.
    But now, she runs away when I come near. My dad might have done something to her when I was at my grandma's.
    It might be because she got in trouble for doing something bad.
    Please help.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2007, 10:42 AM
    It does sound like your father abused her. If so, you have a much bigger problem than your dog. It is only a short step from abusing dogs to abusing people. Can you talk to your mother, grandmother, or other trusted adult? School or church officials may be good too. You might try posting to a forum under family and people. I don't have any special knowledge in that area. Likely some of those posting there don't either. Wait for several answers and carefully evaluate them. Many people here post to questions they don't have a clue on. They may be able to find a web page on the subject, but can't tell if it is any good. The green boxes don't mean much either.

You should find some general help with a dog at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

Hitting or other such is a very poor way to train a dog. (Not that good with kids either) Look at the first paragraph of the post in the sticky on housebreaking. The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss To build trust and a good pack structure with a younger puppy, try this:

''Elevation for small puppies: Sit on the floor and gently put your hands around your pup's middle, below his front legs, and lift him up. He is facing you. Hold him for 15 seconds. Repeat until he no longer struggles. If he is past 10-12 weeks, lift his front feet off the ground, but don't pick him up.

Cradling for small puppies: Hold your puppy gently on his back, as you would cradle a small baby. If he struggles, hold him firmly until he quiets for 10-15 seconds. With larger pups, you can do this as your sit on the floor, with your pup between your legs.

Quiet lying down: Place your pup on the floor on his side, with all 4 legs pointing away from you. Use your hands on his neck/shoulder area and middle, to hold him in this position. When he is quiet, praise him. Lengthen the time that you keep him quietly in this position. When he accepts this position well, handle his paws and muzzle, while keeping him quiet.''

The quotes mean this isn't my original work. It is copied from my Puppy Raising Manual. I have long used these or minor variations of them, and they are very effective. You may want to give him a belly rub while he is on his back too. Helps bonding. There is a big difference between him rolling over and demanding a belly rub, and you choosing a time to roll him over and rub his belly. The latter cements your place as pack leader.

If you ask about specific problems, I can give you methods that work for me.
    K9teeth Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 02:58 PM
    My dad didn't abuse her.
    But sometimes she gets yelled at.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 31, 2007, 03:02 PM
    Did he maybe swat her or at her with a rolled up newspaper or with her lease? That's abuse too. Yelling at her is also abuse.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 05:35 PM
    K9, someone else doing something will not make your dog run away from you. How long did you own her before you went away? If she was new to the household and you were away for a while at Grandmas, she may not really remember you. Or, is it at all possible that she is playing the "chase me" game. Dogs love to be chased by their playmates. In any event, just sit on the floor and let her come to you. Don't force her to come to you. Play with one of her toys or a ball, have a couple of small treats in your hand. She will come up to you. When she does, tell her "Good girl (name)", give her a treat and pet her nicely, give her a belly rub. Just be patient and always positive with her, and she will come around.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Tips for getting over an ex [ 24 Answers ]

So what would you say are some good tips for getting over an ex? Also, is there ever any chance for your ex wanting you back? If you stay as your ex's friend while he has a girlfriend is there a chance that you would become the rebound if your ex and his girlfriend broke up? Just wondering....

Need some tips [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, Don't know how to start... Recently I meet with a woman in internet and we talk on phone very often. We are going to meet soon and I am really interested about her. Think is I never have sex before and she is older than me got a kid. I don't want to break her heart, cause she likes...

I need a few tips [ 1 Answers ]

Here's the problem: A bicycler and a car driver started driving towards each other from towns A and B. After they had drove for an hour the car driver sped up by 20 km/h. If the car wouldn't have changed its speed, the bicycler and car driver would've met one hour later. The distance between two...

I need hair tips [ 2 Answers ]

I've dyed my hair black like 6 months ago and I am now wanting to bleach it out. But my roots are a dark-blondish color and if I beach it, will it make my roots really bright? :eek: after I bleach out the black enough, I want to dye a certain area a darkish red color and the other area a bleach...

How much do tips [ 4 Answers ]

What is the right amount to tip a hair stylist? :o

View more questions Search