Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ugeneli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 07:33 AM
    Why maximum wattage for light fixture
    I've installed a new kitchen light fixture that has a maximum wattage of 60 watts per socket.

Unfortunately this does not create enough light.

What would happen if I up the bulbs to 100 watts each?
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Aug 31, 2007, 07:54 AM
    It will probably work. However, it could do anything from decreasing the life of the bulb, to starting an electrical fire. It's pretty easy and cheap to take that light fixture back, and install one that handles higher wattage.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2007, 08:03 AM
    It could over heat and start a fire. More likely just discolor the fixture and maybe the ceiling around it. It would also age the insulation on the wires leading to cracking and falling off. A far better solution would be to find compact fluorescent that produce the light of a 100 watt incandescent or more for less than 60 watts. I have found Home Depot has a good selection at a good price. The incandescent bulb's days are numbered. Another good idea if you can, would be to return the fixture and pick up one of the post Edison halogen or xenon fixtures. You might even come across an LED fixture. All of the above use less electricity and much longer life bulbs.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Calculating wattage: each bulb, or fixture? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there again. Thanks for all the useful help on this site. I think the last piece of info I need to complete my project is, when calculating wattages, (ex, 15 amp, 1440 watts max), if a light fixture has 4-60 watt bulbs, does that count as 240 watts or as one fixture at 60. Sounds like a...

Changed from fan to light fixture and now light will not shut off [ 1 Answers ]

Today I tried to replace a ceiling fan to a light fixture. I connected the black to black white to white and copper to ground. I have a red wire that I don't know what goes to. The light now will not turn off. Should the red wire be connected to something?

Maximum wattage of an electrical product [ 1 Answers ]

To Whom It May Concern, I have been asked to design an electrical patio heater and I need to verify what is the maximum wattage that I can legally use in the USA. One source told me nothing more than 1500W. Is this true or is it another number? Thank you for your time. P.S. If I have the...

Understanding maximum wattage [ 1 Answers ]

I have two floodlight fixtures on a single switched circuit. Each fixture has a pair of 150 watt bulbs for 300 watts per fixture or 600 watts on the circuit. I want to replace one of the fixtures with a fixture that has a motion detector as is commonly sold in hardware stores. Like the fixture...

Maximum wattage for light fixture [ 1 Answers ]

I just installed a new hamptom bays ceiling light fixture. It has two sockets for light bulbs and is labeled "maximum wattage 60" Does that mean a total of 60 watts between the two or 60 for each bulb.

View more questions Search