Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rolljeep Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 12:14 AM
    Would like some input
    I am curious to find out if the symptoms of bi-polar disorder can be somewhat similar to meth and drug abuse. I am allowing my girlfriends cousin to stay with us in our home for the time being. Her behavior is erratic and unpredictable, and I want to get some opinions as to what others think may be the cause.

She has been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder, and does not seek any medical help or counceling for her issues.

Her behavior clearly swings up and down, and her personality is completely different with each mood swing. When she appears to be manic she:

1. Will only get 2-3 hours of sleep per night for 4-5 days.
    2. Will organize, clean, and do other types of activities throughout the night.
    3. Is often quiet and seems to be deep in thought.
    4. Hardly eats
    5. Is always on the move or fidgeting with something.
    6. Constantly talking on the phone or chatting online—mostly at night
    7. Will create to do lists and other goal types of spreadsheets
    8. Will catch up on all of the chores that are neglected when she is down.

When she is in the down cycle she:

1. Will not want to get out of bed or perform any tasks. Just wants to sleep
    2. Personal hygiene suffers. She will stay in her robe for days if possible
    3. Bad attitude, very argumentative and provoking
    4. Will eat constantly. Mainly comfort foods
    5. Will not do any chores around the house like dishes or laundry
    6. Complains about being bored and just not satisfied with anything.
    7. Lack of patience with anything
    8. Bad temper and the smallest issues get her going.
    9. Gets angry when people question her attitude and claims she is being picked on
    10. This type of behavior lasts for up to a week.

I have questioned her about her behavior and actions. I have asked her about why she does not want to seek help and she gets angry by telling me I don’t understand. I even questioned her if she was on drugs because her mood did a complete change within one day. During the weekend, she seemed depressed and then an hour later, she doing 20 different things at once. I don’t know what to think. I know she would never admit to doing drugs, but I don’t want to convince myself she is without proof. I know she did have issues in the past with substances, but has been clean recently. (about a year).

Another thing that confuses me is she left her boyfriend once because she found a substance in his possession. She told him that she looked at that as cheating on her and it will not be tolerated. This happened 4 months ago. Would someone who is using drugs themselves act like this, or can it really be a mental condition??
    jackie223 Posts: 25, Reputation: 4

Aug 31, 2007, 09:16 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rolljeep
    I am curious to find out if the symptoms of bi-polar disorder can be somewhat similar to meth and drug abuse. I am allowing my girlfriends cousin to stay with us in our home for the time being. Her behavior is erratic and unpredictable, and I want to get some opinions as to what others think may be the cause.

She has been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder, and does not seek any medical help or counceling for her issues.

Her behavior clearly swings up and down, and her personality is completely different with each mood swing. When she appears to be manic she:

1. Will only get 2-3 hours of sleep per night for 4-5 days.
    2. Will organize, clean, and do other types of activities throughout the night.
    3. Is often quiet and seems to be deep in thought.
    4. Hardly eats
    5. Is always on the move or fidgeting with something.
    6. Constantly talking on the phone or chatting online—mostly at night
    7. Will create to do lists and other goal types of spreadsheets
    8. Will catch up on all of the chores that are neglected when she is down.

When she is in the down cycle she:

1. Will not want to get out of bed or perform any tasks. Just wants to sleep
    2. Personal hygiene suffers. She will stay in her robe for days if possible
    3. Bad attitude, very argumentative and provoking
    4. Will eat constantly. Mainly comfort foods
    5. Will not do any chores around the house like dishes or laundry
    6. Complains about being bored and just not satisfied with anything.
    7. Lack of patience with anything
    8. Bad temper and the smallest issues get her going.
    9. Gets angry when people question her attitude and claims she is being picked on
    10. This type of behavior lasts for up to a week.

I have questioned her about her behavior and actions. I have asked her about why she does not want to seek help and she gets angry by telling me I don’t understand. I even questioned her if she was on drugs because her mood did a complete change within one day. During the weekend, she seemed depressed and then an hour later, she doing 20 different things at once. I don’t know what to think. I know she would never admit to doing drugs, but I don’t want to convince myself she is without proof. I know she did have issues in the past with substances, but has been clean recently. (about a year).

Another thing that confuses me is she left her boyfriend once because she found a substance in his possession. She told him that she looked at that as cheating on her and it will not be tolerated. This happened 4 months ago. Would someone who is using drugs themselves act like this, or can it really be a mental condition?????????
    Yes, that sounds like bipolar. You never said how old she is,even though it really don't matter but it gets worse as they get older,, there will be less up sides and the down sides come more often and stay longer,, she needs meds and that's a long process finding the right pill or pills whatpill makes them sleep all day what one makes them more angry and you have to try the pill for a few weeks for it to take affect. MY husband has bipolar and we have been together 19yrs and I am really to leave, at 1st you feel sorry for them because its not their fault but after such a long time you have to feel sorry for yourself and everyone that is in their life,, lucky for you she isn't your girlfriend or wife, someone has got to try to get her to a doctor for meds, if not she's on her own, people with bipolar don't mean to be so a ugly with the things the say or do but after a while they push everyone friends and family away from them they end up alone,, meds help control the episodes here is some more information about it;;SUPPORTING AN ADULT WITH BIPOLAR DISORDER?
    Visit:
    How to Recognize, Cope and Deal with Your Loved One's Bipolar Disorder

Aug 31, 2007, 09:18 AM
    Supporting an adult with bipolar disorder?
    visit:
    How to Recognize, Cope and Deal with Your Loved One's Bipolar Disorder
    deist Posts: 225, Reputation: 7

Sep 3, 2007, 08:40 AM
    It does sound like bipolar disorder. She may or may not be doing drugs, but that doesn't necessarily explain her symptoms. Many people with mental illnesses, especially those who won't go into therapy or take medication, treat their symptoms with street drugs.

Sep 3, 2007, 01:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by deist
    It does sound like bipolar disorder. She may or may not be doing drugs, but that doesn't necessarily explain her symptoms. Many people with mental illnesses, especially those who won't go into therapy or take medication, treat their symptoms with street drugs.
    Street drugs and drinking a lot of the time someone with biploar or a mental illness will always talk bad about the people that are doing drugs for some reason they don't think they are anything like the people they are speaking bad about

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I need more input [ 1 Answers ]

OK I posted last week about my friends CRAZNESS. How should I tell the guy what my friend Did. Should I ask to come meet to further explain. I feel more comfortable in person.. Thanks. How should I do it?

What the possibility? I really need some input! [ 4 Answers ]

I have been taking Yasmin (the oral contraceptive) for about 2 years now and haven't missed a pill in at least a year but this past weekend (sat) I was supposed to start a new pack and I totally forgot about it until Monday so I didn't get started on my BC until Monday night and then my boyfriend...

Citizens input [ 1 Answers ]

Which tends to be most responsive to citizens input? Local Government State government Federal government An international agency

Ok I need some outside input [ 10 Answers ]

Hello, I really think I need some help. I am with my boyfriend whom we have been together for two years now. I am 7 months pregnant and he just asked me to marry him on christmas. Sounds sweet huh. Well I am still with him because he was supposed to quit smoking pot, and he wasn't going to play...

View more questions Search