Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chrissy21 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 06:23 PM
    New male cockatiel
    I just got a male cockaiel for my female!! I put a nesting box inside of the cage. The male is biting aroung the opening of the hole and he is whistling to her and preening her, but they will not go in the nest or I have not seen them mate. Can you tell me what is going on please??
    lubu Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Mating for these birds are quite complex, I warn you though, breeding birds can reduce your birds lifespan. Plus it depends on the age.
    chrissy21 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Sep 14, 2007, 07:23 PM
    The male has now entered the nest box and calling for the female to come in what happens next??
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Sep 15, 2007, 03:51 AM
    Once the femal and male have both agreed they like the nestbox,
    You may soon see them "performing"
    Cockatiels are not shy when going to the task,

Once they have mated it generally takes around 10 days for the first egg to be laid, the eggs will be laid every other day and the bird should start sitting properly on the eggs after 3 are laid... she could lay as many as 8 or 9 eggs although 5 is the usual clutch... while she is laying the egggs feed them eggfood but once she has stopped laying and her clutch is full stop feeding the eggfood as too much may spur them into breeding again

If it is their first time then they may not know what to do and you may encounter problems.. they can either get bored and stop sitting on the eggs or avfter they have hatched they don't know what to do with the chicks, so keep your head up and expect the worst then you won't be disappointed if they do well,
    Once the chicks have hatched you will need to start feeding your birds eggfood as well as seed.. this they will feed the chicks qand it will help them to grow bigger and stronger...
    Take a look at the site and do a search for cockatiels their will be plenty of info on their for you and if it doesn't have what you need then ask and your questions will be answered :)
    UK Birdkeepers Message Board (Powered by Invision Power Board)
    And also ask any other questions on here and I will do my best to help you :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Cockatiel eggs [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question for you... I tried candling and the eggs have a yoke and air sack but I don't see veins. When I put one of them in water in sank. Not toally but the was a small part of it on the bottm of the bowl. Do I fertile eggs or not

Cockatiel songs [ 5 Answers ]

My male cockatiel can whistle Jingle Bells. But it's already summer, so I want to teach him something else, but don't know what. Do you know any easy cute songs for him to learn?:)

What to feed a cockatiel [ 13 Answers ]

My niece found a cockatiel in the mountains. She said she held her arm out and it came to her. Lord only knows where it came from because she is from a very rural area. She went to the store and bought seeds for it but she said that it only picks out certain ones and eats them. I need suggestions...

Cockatiel babies [ 1 Answers ]

In about 3 months I am getting a cockatiel. The breeder is very nice and we have very good recommendations. She is going to hand rear the bird for me as this is my first, however I am interested in the different stages the babies go through and the mom's pregnancy etc. If anybody has any good links...

Cockatiel as a new pet [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend's rude friend decided to give my 5 year old a bird for her b-day without asking permission. So, needless to say I need to learn about cockatiels. For instance, do their cages need to be covered for them to sleep well? Any help would be appreciated, I now worry about the bird 24-7. :)

View more questions Search