Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ryanjade Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2005, 06:33 PM
    What to say to collection agency?
    Book Antiqua1blue

My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At that time her best friends mom hand wrote, on a piece of paper, 12 months sac and I signed. This was about two years ago. This last week I get in the mail a notice from a collection agency stating that I owe said Jewelers $6,000.00. Needless to say I am furious. The "mom" has not returned my calls. So I am in the middle of writing the collection agency back wanting proof.
    So my question is this. Should, could I write anything in this letter to make me not have to deal with this ever again? If it does go any further, will I actually have to seek legal council? Please help, I don't want to make a mistake here.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2005, 05:18 AM
    Debt collector
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanjade
    Book Antiqua1blue

My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At that time her best friends mom hand wrote, on a piece of paper, 12 months sac and I signed. This was about two years ago. This last week I get in the mail a notice from a collection agency stating that I owe said Jewelers $6,000.00. Needless to say I am furious. The "mom" has not returned my calls. So I am in the middle of writing the collection agency back wanting proof.
    So my question is this. should, could I write anything in this letter to make me not have to deal with this ever again? If it does go any further, will I actually have to seek legal council? Please help, I don't want to make a mistake here.

Writing to them demanding verification of the alleged debt, have them provide you a certified true copy of the original contract. Look up the code on the web for debts collectors. They are available.
    Always do everything in writing only, no phones call. Build a paper trail.

mr.yet

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency Statute of Limitations [ 15 Answers ]

I received a call out of the blue from a collection agency looking to collect on a loan I defaulted on and never repaid. This loan has since been removed from my credit record due to our local Statute of Limitations (6 years). Can this collection agency still collect? Are they still within...

Summons from Collection Agency [ 6 Answers ]

Recently received summons from a collection agency that a lawsuit has been started against me. What is the best way to respond to the court. I am unemployed, have no income or savings. I have not been working due to illness and am waiting for judgement on disability. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Collection Agency refusing payments in IL. [ 12 Answers ]

I have a 508.00 bill with my ob/gyn from the delivery of my baby (3rd) in April. Since I pay 1k a month for childcare now and didn't have paid maternity leave other than the 2 weeks of vacation/sick time. Money has been extremely extremely tight and I have not had an extra 508.00 to pay it off...

Collection Agency-Sttatue of limitation to collect deb [ 13 Answers ]

I have been contacted by Nordon Collections on a debt from May 2003 In which they advise I owe $9,467.00 due to a car loan after they sold The vehicle on a repo they advised I owe this amount and will take Me to Superior court If I don't pay it today and garnishee my wages. I advised them I do...

Collection agency refuses payment [ 1 Answers ]

I am attempting to clear up 3 charges on my credit report. Had a very difficult year. Moved three times did not keep up with existing bills. I pulled credit report. Contacted 2 creditors, both in collections, both sending info and were more than happy that I wanted to make arrangements. Third one,...

View more questions Search