Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    amy_par6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 01:54 PM
    Very thin nursing cat
    [F] my cat had kittens 3 weeks ago. She has always been a thin cat, but now she is VERY thin. She eats everything in site. Could weight loss come from nursing the kittens? She is not as active as she has been and seems a little sad.:(
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 30, 2007, 02:13 PM
    Don't worry about the sad, she knows what she is doing, yes she is giving all her nutrients to the kittens. Give her special attention, maybe offer some milk and pablum mixed very thin. She knows what to do better then you. So just pat her and love her and don't get too close, it will worry her.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 03:24 PM
    Give her kitten chow to eat. It has nore nutrients in it than regular cat food. I truly hope you get her spayed. We just found 2 momma cat's with kittens.
    gabra_123 Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Aug 30, 2007, 03:41 PM
    How many kittens did she have, and how old is she. And how recently has she been dewormed? Most cats, if the kittens are too much for them, will refuse to nurse. She shouldn't be dewormed while nursing, but make sure she gets enough food. Check the ingredients on you catfood make sure that one of the top ingredients is meat and that there is not a lot of fillers. Some of the most popular brands are all cheep fillers that do nothing for your animals.
    amy_par6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 04:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gabra_123
    How many kittens did she have, and how old is she. and how recently has she been dewormed?? Most cats, if the kittens are too much for them, will refuse to nurse. she shouldn't be dewormed while nursing, but make sure she gets enough food. check the ingredients on you catfood make sure that one of the top ingredients is meat and that there is not a lot of fillers. some of the most popular brands are all cheep fillers that do nothing for your animals.
    She had 5 kittens, thanks for your answers!
    Cat Lady Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2007, 01:22 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by amy_par6
    [F] my cat had kittens 3 weeks ago. she has always been a thin cat, but now she is VERY thin. she eats everything in site. could weight loss come from nursing the kittens? she is not as active as she has been and seems a little sad.:(
    A nursing mother needs at least 4 times the amount of food than she regularly eats. In fact let her eat as much as she wants. Nursing kittens take a LOT out of a new mother, especially if she was not in great shape to start with. Give her treats of raw meat also.

And my guess is that she needs to be wormed. You can ask your vet if he has something for worms for nursing mothers, but usually you need to wait until the babies are weaned.
    Get a wormer from a vet. The over-the-counter wormers are not very effective anymore as the parasites have developed an immunity to it.

Congrats on the new babies! Remember, a momma cat can still get pregnant even though she is still nursing so you may want to think about getting her spayed as soon as you can.
    Cupid5 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 27, 2012, 03:09 PM
    I am fostering an extremely thin mom who has 5 kittens, now 6 weeks old.

She's losing weight daily, even though I have food out for all of them all day: kitten kibble, and wet food that is a mix of kitten food, A/D, fancy feast and water. She eats only small amounts of all of it. I put food in a part of the room she can get to but the kittens cant, so she can eat in peace if she wants. Still she doesn't eat enough to keep from losing weight.

She and all the kittens have been de-wormed once. The kittens are eating the wet and dry food, and nursing.

How can I get her to eat more when she doesn't seem to be that interested in eating more?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nursing cat - thin - No kitties? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a cat that had 3 kittens, we gave the kittenss to a good home but the mother is still nursing and is very thin. If you pet the side of her stomach you can feel the difference between her actual stomach and where her milk is. Is this okay?

Skinny nursing cat [ 2 Answers ]

My cat had kittens exactly 4 weeks ago yesterday. All of the 4 kittens seem to be very healthy, nursing fine, growing like bad weeds and are very well cared for by the Mama kitty hehe.. My question though is about the Mama cat.. She seems so skinny now! You can feel nearly every bone in her...

Nursing cat [ 1 Answers ]

My cat has been nursing 5 weeks. The kittens are now gone. The cats nipples are still producing and are very swollen. Is this normal and if so when will this subside. Is there anything I should be aware of?

Nursing cat with worms [ 2 Answers ]

My cat gave birth 26 days ago. We knew she had worms before the birth and now she is so very thin and nursing. She eats an awful lot and is in the litter box constantly. I have found no round worms in the feces but she does throw them up. When can I worm her? Shouldn't I worm the kittens as...

View more questions Search