Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    duckydo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 01:44 PM
    Wiring to sub-panel.
    Will this work properly if when wiring a sub-panel for 240v can one of the 3 aluminum 4 gauge wires in the pvc underground pipe be used as the neutral wire if that wire is bare?

I intend to attach the ground bus at the sub-panel to a ground rod using 6 gauge bare copper wire.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 03:36 PM
    Yes a bare wire can be used as a neutral when it is part of a multiwire cable.

However, a 3 wire feeder can only be used to feed a subpanel if the panel is in a separate building, and there is no other metallic path between buildings, such as telephone lines.

If the 3 wire is used, the neutral and equipment ground bars must be bonded together, usually with a green screw into the neutral bar, and at least one ground rod must be driven and connected to the neutral bar.

Must bond any water lines to the neutral. and any other building metal systems, except natural gas.

If the subpanel is in the same building as the main, must use a 4 wire feeder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Welder Wiring / % of Panel Capacity [ 3 Answers ]

I recently purchased a Lincoln Precision TIG 375 welder(here) at a business liquidation auction. It came with huge pin type connectors (shudda been a hint). After I got it home and read the manual, I discovered it requires a 175 amp breaker when used to it's max capability. I have 200 amp service...

Main to Sub Panel Wiring [ 3 Answers ]

I received an answer prior to wiring this up, but am a bit confused. I think I was told to keep the ground separate at the sub panel but am not sure. If so, I only need to pull 3 wires (2 hot legs and 1 neutral). I have attached my PDF for your review. Thanks, ...

Sub panel wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 50 amp GFCI breaker in my subpanel box to be used by a hot tub. I noticed that the breaker has a post for the neutral wire load. Is it necessary to use this post or can my load neutral wire be connected to the neutral bus (same as breaker pigtail and supply neutral)?

Baseboard Heating - Panel Wiring [ 4 Answers ]

I wired my 220V electric baseboard heaters on to Cutler Hammer 20 Amp Double Pole breakers but now they don't work. The panel is all double pole breakers but the original baseboard heater wiring was staggered, so each hot wire was on a different double pole breaker. I now have each hot wire...

Sub panel 40 amp wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 70 amp sub panel. I'm trying to figure out how to wire in a 40amp breaker in the sub from the panel in my house. I have two hot wires coming in to separate lugs, one neutral, but the breaker itself has one trip/reset lever yet has two screws on the bottom of the breaker;one on each side....

View more questions Search