Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dark_crow Posts: 1,405, Reputation: 196
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Where do you get your NEWS…again.
    If you're only getting your news from TV, you're not getting any News; 90% of what you are getting is grey propaganda. It started with Clinton, and Bush has made it into a fine art.

Video news releases - SourceWatch
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 01:32 PM
    A variety of sources. Television being one, but not even at the top. Newspapers, radio, online newspapers, and magazine and newsletters. Television used to be a trusted medium but I think that went out when Walter Cronkite retired.
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 01:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    A variety of sources. Television being one, but not even at the top. Newspapers, radio, online newspapers, and magazine and newsletters. Television used to be a trusted medium but I think that went out when Walter Cronkite retired.
    I'm back to print only after doing some research on the subject of video news releases.

From what I can make of it OUR HERO has used mock news releases for misleading the average citizen.

nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 02:24 PM
    Still, I don't trust all the news.
    I get them onFortune, Business Week, and Economist sometimes. I am more of a business news person.
    General news, I get from USA today, internet or the daily show.
    What's new is, I start looking at what you guys writing here.:D
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 02:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicespringgirl
    Still, I don't trust all the news.
    I get them onFortune, Business Week, and Economist sometimes. I am more of a business news person.
    General news, I get from USA today, internet or the daily show.
    What's new is, I start looking at what you guys writing here.:D
    I actually get almost all my news from the internet, and have done do for the past 8 or so years. I have several different live news feeds on my browser, so it’s fairly easy to check them; from art to economics, to headline news. I also have several of the radical [From both the left and the right.] news sites bookmarked.

I’m not really interested, most of the time, in politics except from a philosophical viewpoint. It simply doesn’t matter to me, from a pragmatic standpoint, who wins or loses, or who’s running the country. I’m more interested in the arguments than in the subject matter; excluding my silly moments of self-entertainment.
    ETWolverine Posts: 934, Reputation: 275

Aug 31, 2007, 06:09 AM
    If you're only getting your news from TV, you're not getting any News; 90% of what you are getting is grey propaganda. It started with Clinton, and Bush has made it into a fine art.
    Oh, it goes back a lot further than that. Yellow journalism, where news agencies are used to MAKE the news instead of REPORT the news (and that is what this is) dates back to the 1800s.

FDR used yellow journalism quite well to push for his New Deal agenda, and then to get the public behind the war effort.

LBJ made up stories about the Vietnam conflict out of whole cloth in order to justify the increased war effort in Vietnam. On the other side, guys like John Kerry made up stories about the war crimes of US military servicemen in Vietnam out of whole cloth in order to justify his anti-war movement. Both were reported as "fact" by newspapers with political agendas.

The Hearst family were experts at yellow jounalism. So, in his own way, is Rupert Murdock. All news agencies print "facts" with a particular spin that matches their political leanings, and use shoddy corroboration techniques to verify information that suits their needs.

So, this practice predates Bush, Clinton and every other president of the 20th and 21st centuries. It has always existed, but it became the "norm" in the 19th century.

Has Bush mastered the art? Given that in 2004 he held a prime-time press briefing on Social Security, and given that EVERY SINGLE MEDIA OUTLET IN THE USA COMPLETELY IGNORED IT, I would say that the arguments that Bush has mastered the use of media to push a political agenda is somewhat lacking. He is actually no better or worse at it than any other president in history.

As for my news sources, they are many and varied. But I tend to go to the sources of the information in order to get it in context. If a speech is quoted in the news, I read the entire speech. If statistics are cited, I look at the source of the statistics. If poll numbers are cited, I read the original poll in full. I don't rely on others to spoon-feed me information. I do my own research.

Elliot
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2007, 06:24 AM
    Hello:

I get my news from the Wolverine. He knows everything. Then I take the exact opposite view.

excon
    nicespringgirl Posts: 1,237, Reputation: 187
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 06:26 AM
    As for my news sources, they are many and varied. But I tend to go to the sources of the information in order to get it in context. If a speech is quoted in the news, I read the entire speech. If statistics are cited, I look at the source of the statistics. If poll numbers are cited, I read the original poll in full. I don't rely on others to spoon-feed me information. I do my own research
    That's true!

Aug 31, 2007, 06:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello:

I get my news from the Wolverine. He knows everything. Then I take the exact opposite view.

excon
    And that explains why you are always wrong. :cool:

Elliot
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 09:13 AM
    Elliot

There is a big difference between Yellow journalism and Video news releases; I'm surprised going to the source didn't fetch you the distinction.

It seems you again miss distinctions between one object and another; Yellow journalism is not he same as Video news releases.

To a viewer, each report looked like any other 90-second segment on the local news. In fact, the federal government produced all three. The report from Kansas City was made by the State Department. The "reporter" covering airport safety was actually a public relations professional working under a false name for the Transportation Security Administration. The farming segment was done by the Agriculture Department's office of communications.

"White House News Forgeries Widespread"

Aug 31, 2007, 09:24 AM
    Yellow journalism is "creating" the news in order to push an agenda. The video footage you are talking about is exactly that... news created to push an agenda. In fact, that is what you seem to be complaining about. What, exactly, is the difference between them?

Granted, in the traditional sense, yellow journalism is perpetrated by the newspapers rather than government officials or political agents. But in modern times, anyone with acess to the media or the internet can be involved in yellow journalism... "creating news" to push an agenda.

To a viewer, each report looked like any other 90-second segment on the local news. In fact, the federal government produced all three.
    Yup. The very definition of "yellow journalism"... "news" that is "manufactured" for a specific purpose by the manufacturer and which the public thinks are unbiased reports.

Elliot
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 09:54 AM
    The broader point is that this is nothing new and certainly did not begin or become perfected by President Bush who in all due respect ;sucks at PR. I can't believe anyone seriously thinks he has good pr. . He sent Karen Hughes to be a pr person for the Mid. East . That worked out well didn't it ?

These video news reels produced by the gvt. Go back to at least the days when Frank Capra was propagandizing the Allied cause during WWII. Frank Capra's "Why We Fight Series"

Some of the more cynical amongst us today might argue that Ernie Pyle was a government stooge and propagandist . Today the embedded journalists' integrity is suspect .I argue that a piece of the true narrative get's ignored as a result.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 10:26 AM
    Hello DC,

I read my local paper front to back every day, watch a variety of TV news sources, listen to the radio most days, read magazines and check out a large number of internet sources. As with Elliott, I don't just bite on clips, I go to the source as often as possible and get the context - which often takes a good bit of time to locate. But the propaganda started a long time before Clinton and Bush.
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 10:32 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ETWolverine
    Granted, in the traditional sense, yellow journalism is perpetrated by the newspapers rather than government officials or political agents. Elliot
    Yep, you finally got.:eek:
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55
    The broader point is that this is nothing new and certainly did not begin or become perfected by President Bush who in all due respect ;sucks at PR. I can't believe anyone seriously thinks he has good pr. . He sent Karen Hughes to be a pr person for the Mid. East . That worked out well didn't it ?

These video news reels produced by the gvt. go back to at least the days when Frank Capra was propagandizing the Allied cause during WWII. Frank Capra's "Why We Fight Series"

Some of the more cynical amongst us today might argue that Ernie Pyle was a government stooge and propagandist . Today the embedded journalists' integrity is suspect .I argue that a piece of the true narrative get's ignored as a result.
    Yeah, I'm sure you’re right, nothing new about it; it's just an example of more reporters getting it all wrong.
    Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 11:32 AM
    I'm only interested in a few topics these days... I get my information from the internet for the most part.

Network(and all TV) news is total entertainment. Why, CBS is sending Katie Couric to the Middle East soon so she will get killed to boost her raitings. :D
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 11:44 AM
    I'm only interested in a few topics these days
    How about dem cubbies?

Choux Posts: 3,047, Reputation: 376
    Ultra Member

Aug 31, 2007, 11:47 AM
    You betcha, Tom!

They are on my TV right now as I type, playing Houston.. . Here's a shout to your YAnkees... GO YANKEES!!

How about Philly? :)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 31, 2007, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by shygrneyzs
    Television used to be a trusted medium but I think that went out when Walter Cronkite retired.
    You're kidding?

No other Forbes readers?
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 05:09 PM
    I get my news from the National Inquirer... they seem to know many more things than the rest of us in this world. Fox News sometimes, the internet, my brother, father, husband and the occasional "real" view from friends that agree with me! LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

No News [ 4 Answers ]

Ok so I have been dating this guy for about three weeks now and this past week I went out of town and since then I have not heard from the guy. I called him Sunday and left a short message, but other than that I have not had contact with him since last Wednesday. His birthday is coming up on the...

Breaking News! [ 4 Answers ]

Valerie Plame's Lawsuit Dismissed I love it. Every time the left thinks they have a gotcha moment with Bush they get their hopes dashed. It must be tough to be a Bush hater. What's next for the Wilson's? What will the Kossacks say? Will Chuck Schumer write another letter? Will Democrats...

Good news or bad news are these doctors of their rocker? [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone, well I went to the doctor today concerning my miscarriage last week. Some of you may have read my post about having discharge and why the bleeding stopped (after only 3-4 days), well it turns out I am one of those women who can pass everything in 4 days. I have had an ultrasound...

Bad news [ 5 Answers ]

Can you poop out tapeworm?

View more questions Search