Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mathandler1 Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Investments Deductions
    So, if a taxpayer is considering to make a $30,000 investment in a venture, which may generate immediate tax benfits to the taxpayer, who does not plan to itemize his/her deductions and is in the 33% marginal tax bracket. Now, what would happen if the investment is a type that produces a 40% tax credit of the amount from the expenditure and how much would the taxpayer tax liability decline because of this investment? I believe that it is 40% of $30K which is $12K and not no deduction is allowed, but not 100% sure, since I seem not to be able to find the correct material to help me with this one. Thanks.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 30, 2007, 01:34 PM
    This question would require some detailed research in the tax code.

You seem able to handle such research, so have at it!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 30, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Yes, this site is for individuals who need help with their personal problems or issues,

You have failed to respond to my email asking you why you are asking all of these questions, MY guess is for a tax course, so you are wanting others to give you homework answers, which our site is not for.

And when given answers, you seem to have argued that you knew the right answer to start with, I believe you have worn your welcome out without giving us more info as to what you are doing, why you are asking all of these questions and so on.
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 31, 2007, 07:03 AM
    Fr. Chuck:

He HAS identified that these are discussion questions in the tax course textbook.

Aug 31, 2007, 12:40 PM
    Dear Fr. Chuck,

I do not know what your beef is here, but I have already mentioned that these are some discussion questions that I was seeking outside advice from. Yes, I am taking a tax law course and that my home work assignments are essays and have to do with tax laws. Others in my course are just citing the text and the internet is a pain in the backside in trying to find half way decent other points of view. When I respond to those like the AtlantaTaxExpert, my intenstions are not to argue, but to thank and make some conversation out of it rather than being so cut and dry. Thanks for your concern. Some of these DQs have actually happened to me in the past but beyond the three years of dealing with the IRS. Thanks!

Aug 31, 2007, 12:41 PM
    Thanks AtlantaTaxExpert for your defense here. I really appreciuate it.
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 4, 2007, 08:18 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Comparing Investments [ 4 Answers ]

I buy fixer houses putting as little as 20% down. I usually put about $40,000 in to fix up, cover finance costs and cover selling costs. My typical interest rate is between 7% - 9% on my loans. Since it is short term, interest rate is not important to me really. I am usually able to net about...

Investments by owners [ 1 Answers ]

If a company has assests of $350,000, liabilities of $130,000, and retained earnings of $180,000, investments by the owners must be? I say $310,000

Taxes on Retirement investments [ 1 Answers ]

My spouse and I are doing some retirement planning and we need to compare the financial difference between drawing out payments from one of the following two investment scenarios. 1. Investing a lump sum $400,000 into a conservative retirement portfolio at age 65 and drawing off the investment...

View more questions Search