Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    louise123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 11:22 AM
    Will I have a miscarrage or optopic pregnancy? Very scared.
    M 19 and just found out I'm pregnant using a home pregnancy test. When I went to the hospital to confirm this they done a scan and then told me they had found a sac in my womb which was 2.7mm, but nothing inside. I think I am 2-3 weeks pregnant as I had my last period as normal and taken 2 pregnancy tests in the previous weeks which were negative. However, they said that it looks like I'm 6 weeks pregnant according to the size of the sac ( although on various sites on the net it said that if you are 4-6 weeks pregnant the sac is 5-6mm. ) they then went on to say that because nothing was found in the sac... im either going to have a miscarrage within the week or I will have an egtopic pregnancy. My partner and I are so scared and can't find out for another weeks if everything will be o.k. PLEASE could someone give us some reassurance or tell me if they know any useful info on this? We think the docs are wrong as someone told us that its very common not to find anything in a scan when your only 4 weeks pregnant? We can't tell ny friends or family because we don't want anyone to know just yet. I would be very thankful if someone could get back to me... louise xx
    Posted on 08/30/07, 10:08 am
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 11:49 AM
    It is still very early, Im surprised they were even able to find the sac. At this early, its all really a bit of a guessing game. All they can really go by is your last menstral period (LMP) or the first day day of your last period... this is probably where they are getting the 6 weeks...

An empty sac, is often called a blighted ovum, and makes up for 50% of all miscarriages, typically if the baby can not be found by 10 weeks, it will be conclude that a miscarriage will or has occurred...

I have heard on occasion of women with a blighted ovum having heallthy baby's, but on average, I believe most miscarry. Just remember that if it does happen, while painful, there was most likely something wrong with the baby that would have kept it from thriving...

Did they say what your hormone levels were?
    louise123 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 12:06 PM
    So, everything might still be OK?
    If the sack is 2.7 mm should they have found something inside it or is this still very small?
    Thanks for answering me.
    You have been a good help xx
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 12:20 PM
    no it is small... at 6 weeks you should measure around 5.4mm X 6.7mm... but if you are indeed 4 weeks, it would be normal I think.

this may help... its small print, but may help ease your mind... Basic Imaging > Ultrasound of Fetal Biometrics and Growth

Like I said, I have heard of women with a blighted ovum carrying to full term with nice healthy baby's, but Im not sure really what the odds are... so there is hope..
    but, and I don't want to scare you, but just prepare you, most of the cases I have heard of do end in miscarriage. I wish you luck...
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 12:31 PM
    I should clarify also, that typically those that do end up carrying a baby, were misdiagnosed to begin with... technically, if a yolk sac and baby is found later, it wasnever a blighted ovum... I have read that this particular misdiagnosis actually is most common in women with retroverted uterus (tilted)...
    gabra_123 Posts: 40, Reputation: 4

Aug 30, 2007, 12:34 PM
    Forgive me but it sounds like your doctor is a fatalistic hack! You didn't say anything about the doctor keeping you under observation, or feeling anything but stressed. An ectopic pregnancy tends to make you feel sick, sore, tender, shooting pains through the lower stomach localized to either one side or the other and normally there would not have been a gestational sac. Main thing is, if the doc truly suspected an ectopic pregnancy he would have done something about it(they can cause mild to major health risks at between 6-8 weeks)did he request any blood work?? Home tests can first detect a pregnancy at between 14 and 28 days depending on the brand, it is common for there to be nothing visible inside the sac that early. There is a book called 'what to expect when you're expecting' it's very good, it might be a comfort to read through.
    Laura-Lynn Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 1, 2007, 03:26 PM
    Hi There,
    I was diagnosed with a Blighted Ovum at 6 weeks. They did 2 ultrasounds. But my sister on the other hand had the same situation as yours and went to carry on a healthy baby boy:o
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 03:41 PM
    Wish you the best, we are all here for you.
    Myth Posts: 897, Reputation: 147

Sep 2, 2007, 07:19 AM
    At two to three weeks your baby is still to small to pick up on the u/s. Chances are that you got preggy about 4-5 weeks ago and that the baby has only just implanted in the last couple of weeks. If this is your regular dr telling you all this you need to get a second opinion. Most people don't even know that their pregnant yet at this stage and most u/s tech's don't usually get to measure a growing fetus at this point, so honestly unless your in pain I wouldn't worry about it. Find another dr office and see if you can get another opinion.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2007, 09:42 AM
    I think it was at 8 weeks you see a heart beat, not sure, but by then you should know for sure. A second opinion is necessary

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it ectopic pregnancy scared [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Took pregnancy test one week ago last Fri (home one) came positive. Went same day to obgyn and urine test came negative(however at end of day) Same day took blood test, on Mon OB said I was pregnant, but according to my dates I should be 6 weeks and hcg levels were 26. 2 days later new blood...

Bleeding after miscarrage [ 2 Answers ]

I was 3 months when I lost my baby in Sept. of last year I was due to have my Baby in April 07. Since then I been having my normal periods but around my due date I started to have pinkish urine and brown old blood maybe a little dry. I bled twice but the 2nd time was about 3 days after the first...

Clotting still 5 months after miscarrage [ 1 Answers ]

I miscarried oct 6, 06 I didn't have a d&c I have had several ultra sounds since they say every thing is fine I have been put on methergine, antiinflammtory, antibiotics, an pervera, an still doesn't help every time I start the 2nd day is when it happens I have some clots different sizes bigger...

Bleeding again, miscarrage? [ 3 Answers ]

I am pregnant, 5 weeks today since my last period begun. Last week when my period was due I had brown D, for a few days followed by a coupls of days of bleeding. Then it all stopped completely for 5 days. Yesterday I had a really bad headache, like high blood pressure (felt like my head was going...

Scared [ 1 Answers ]

On June 4th I had sex, I woke up today with some spotting, now my period is due June 13th but is usually late by a week or more. I did a hpt, and it was negaitive but that still does not mean anything. I have felt sick a little but sometimes I get that right before my period.I don't know what to...

View more questions Search