Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LILMONICA Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Aug 30, 2007, 11:08 AM
    I need a job, Why has it been so hard!
    I'm 24 yrs old and I’ve been without a job for 6 months. I have been to 4 interviews and nothing! I have experience in Admin Asst. Customer service, Data entry ex. I am on the net sending my Resume to every company u can think of, I even have my friends while there at work Fax my Resume to different places. I'm so upset tiered, anxouis, depressed, hurt, fusterated. Every feeling in the world u can feel that’s what I feel like. I don’t know what to do... :confused: :mad: :( :eek:
    maimain Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2007, 08:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by LILMONICA
    I'm 24 yrs old and I’ve been without a job for 6 months. I have been to 4 interviews and nothing! I have experience in Admin Asst., Customer service, Data entry ex. I am on the net sending my Resume to every company u can think of, I even have my friends while there at work Fax my Resume to different places. I'm so upset tiered, anxouis, depressed, hurt, fusterated. Every feeling in the world u can feel that’s what I feel like. I don’t know what to do...:confused: :mad: :( :eek:
    I know how you feel I want a job for singing
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 15, 2007, 08:45 PM
    Have you applied for a job at a public library? It won't be the greatest pay in the world, but you will learn even more about customer service, a lot about books and what people read, and all sorts of little secrets that will be to your advantage once you apply for a job with a corporation of some sort. Potential employers love former library workers!
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Sep 15, 2007, 09:07 PM
    Are you following up with any of the places you submit a resume to?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Sep 16, 2007, 07:17 AM
    What I don't see you doing is phsycially going in and putting applications in for jobs in person.

Also how many resumes are you sending out, you will need to send about 10 a day out if all you are doing is email and fax resumes.
    Are you calling their human resourse places and asking for an interview.

Are you checking into temp services who often have temp to perm placements.

And are you just willing to take any job, perhaps clerks or other jobs.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Sep 18, 2007, 12:28 AM
    It's a war zone out there when you are looking for a job! Usually lots of competition. Looking for and submitting everything that you need in applying for a job can be a full-time job in itself! Personal contact is important. And, as mentioned by alkalineangel above, following up. This is preferably done with a phone call.

I once knew a person who landed the job that they wanted by showing up with all of the information that was needed to apply and saying that they wanted the job. The boss was so impressed with his tenacity, that he gave him the job. This way will not work in all situations. But, it did in that one. The type of job for which he was applying usually required that you should submit your information not in person.
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 05:57 AM
    You need to be persistent. CALL BACK and do it often. Send them thank you notes when they do offer an interview, leave something there to help them remember you. You want to keep your name fresh in their mind. Some call it annoying, but I learned when I graduated that this is the only way to ensure you get the job rather than the others.
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 06:13 AM
    I would try to go through a placement agency. You will often jobs that are called "temp to perm" where you start as a temp and if they like you they will hire you. It's a great way to get your face out there and show people how good you are.

However I do have to disagree with the idea of calling back and asking for interviews and showing up at companies asking to leave resumes or speak to HR. I've worked in HR for a number of years and I've never see anyone who called a lot asking about a job or asking for an interview get anywhere. I've always seen that the person who does that will inevitably be a troublesome employee (this theory has been proven time and time again btw). While its perfectly acceptable to follow up and ask if your resume has been received and find out when they may begin interviewing the truth is that you may not get very far and you more then likely will not even get a chance to speak to someone in the HR dept.

Right now the job market is very tight and you need to find a way to stand out. Are you sending the same resume to every job? Are you sending dynamic cover letters? Your best bet is to tailor your resume to the job you are applying to. Highlight your skills that are applicable to that job not just any job. Write a cover letter expressing your skills and desire for the job and that you would like an interview. Believe it or not so many people forget that this is a crucial step. I've brought in people before who may have been underqualified or overqualified just based on that cover letter.
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 06:18 AM
    However I do have to disagree with the idea of calling back and asking for interviews and showing up at companies asking to leave resumes or speak to HR. I've worked in HR for a number of years and I've never see anyone who called a lot asking about a job or asking for an interview get anywhere. I've always seen that the person who does that will inevitably be a troublesome employee (this theory has been proven time and time again btw). While its perfectly acceptable to follow up and ask if your resume has been received and find out when they may begin interviewing the truth is that you may not get very far and you more then likely will not even get a chance to speak to someone in the HR dept.
    Good point -I was more or so referring to after the interview. I agree being overly annoying will not work well, but every few weeks, should not hurt. This is what I was taught in a portfolio and interview class that was required from my degree, has worked for me and worked for some of my classmates. I guess, it really depends on where you are applying and how many people want the position... :)
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by alkalineangel
    good point -I was more or so referring to after the interview. I agree being overly annoying will not work well, but every few weeks, should not hurt. This is what I was taught in a portfolio and interview class that was required from my degree, has worked for me and worked for some of my classmates. I guess, it really depends on where you are applying and how many people want the position... :)
    Yes. After the interview is one thing before even being called is quite another.

The other big thing that people forget is ask for the job at the end of the interview. Those of us doing the interviewing don't know if you actually want the job. For all we know you are going on a ton of interviews and aren't interested at all. We'd rather not waste anyone's time. At the end of the interview simply say "Thank you so much for meeting with me. I really enjoyed learning about the job and I would love the opportunity to come work here. I hope that I'm seriously considered because I would love to get this job".

You have no idea what that sentence does to an HR person. Its like hearing "I love you" for the first time. :)

EDIT

And if you really, really want the job go home and send an email to the people who interviewed you expressing the same sentiment and saying something along the lines of how you feel that your skills are a great fit and provide specifics. Believe me that goes along way as well.
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 06:37 AM
    You sound like you have all the skills that are necessary in a call center position. I don't mean telemarketing - I mean inbound customer service. I work for a company that owns a telephone answering service and we are always hiring. Even if we have full chairs and a good candidate walks in the door, we will most likely hire her because there is so much turnover in this kind of work. A lot of companies like insurance, investment organizations, banks and even cell phone companies need friendly, organized people to handle the numerous billing and other asundry questions that come in. I bet I know what you are thinking - ugh - phone work. These type of places award excellence by moving you up the ladder. Everyone working for Household Credit call center in VA has had to do their time in the trenches. You can't apply for training manager - they only promote from within. You may have to do phone work for a few months, then next thing you know you are the lead, then supervisor then trainer then department head.

I also do HR/HB for my workplace and I won't see someone who just walks off the street and wants to be seen. I think it is disrespectful to barge in and expect people to stop what there are doing to see you.

Find out exactly how the HR at a particular company you are interested in want you to apply. Some companies want you to go to their website and input your information there, simply mailing them a resume ends up in a pile somewhere. Some larger companies, like UPS, require all interested parties to apply through the state employment agency. Some want you to apply in person. Sorry to say but so many of the job leads on the internet are stale. Get your phone book down and look at the companies that interest you and that you want to be a part of.

If you are mailing in a resume and cover letter, make sure it is grammatically correct and CLEAN and well organized. I can't tell you how many unsolicited resumes I have received that look like they wrapped their lunch in it first. Also get a generic email address for any correspondence like [email protected] - not sexyleggz@hotmail, etc.

Every employer I know is hurting for good people. Maybe they just don't know you are out there. Keep trying!
    Ultra Member

Sep 18, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Emland

I also do HR/HB for my workplace and I won't see someone who just walks off the street and wants to be seen. I think it is disrespectful to barge in and expect people to stop what there are doing to see you.
    YES! That makes me crazy! Or when people do call all the time to see if their resume has been received. HR is the busiest department and there is a lot that goes on outside of hiring. Even considering hiring there are often lots and lots of open positions so be certain to specify what job you are applying for.

Quote Originally Posted by Emland
    If you are mailing in a resume and cover letter, make sure it is grammatically correct and CLEAN and well organized. I can't tell you how many unsolicited resumes I have received that look like they wrapped their lunch in it first. Also get a generic email address for any correspondence like [email protected] - not sexyleggz@hotmail, etc.
    I could literally fill a book with the number of errors and inappropriate email addresses. Those things alone will get you tossed out. I've been reading a resume and thinking wow this person is perfect then I come to an error and just have to toss the person aside especially if its for an asst position or if the person mentions how detail oriented they are.
    LILMONICA Posts: 29, Reputation: 4

Oct 8, 2007, 04:32 PM
    Hey Guys! Just you let all of you know I got a job and will start next week! I'm soooo excited! Thanks for all your tips and answers! Hope you all have a fantastic day!!
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 04:42 PM
    Way to go!! Congratulations!! I wish you nothing but the best at your new job!! Please try to make yourself indispensable!!

What is the job, please?
    Nice1 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 07:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by LILMONICA
    I'm 24 yrs old and I've been without a job for 6 months. I have been to 4 interviews and nothing! I have experience in Admin Asst., Customer service, Data entry ex. I am on the net sending my Resume to every company u can think of, I even have my friends while there at work Fax my Resume to different places. I'm so upset tiered, anxouis, depressed, hurt, fusterated. Every feeling in the world u can feel that's what I feel like. I don't know what to do...:confused: :mad: :( :eek:
    You have to revise your resume. Make sure that it was done correctly. It is very important to have an impeccable resume. If you think that's perfect then, are you preparing yourself for the interview the right way. Try calling the places where you apply for work, show them of your interest in their position vacancy. Send cover letters. Find information on the places you are applying for. Try every angle that will help you in obtaining the opportunity.
    Uber Member

Oct 9, 2007, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nice1
    You have to revise your resume. Make sure that it was done correctly. It is very important to have an impeccable resume. If you think that's perfect then, are you preparing yourself for the interview the right way. Try calling the places where you apply for work, show them of your interest in their position vacancy. Send cover letters. Find information on the places you are applying for. Try every angle that will help you in obtaining the opportunity.
    It's best to be reading all of the other answers before posting your own. She did get a job already. :)
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Congrats, What went right this time?
    Nice1 Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nice1

I guess I was late on the advice, but hey hope it works for one who might need it.:)
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by benn11
    Congrats, What went right this time?
    That would be good to know!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replace existing hard drive with upgrade to larger hard drive? [ 6 Answers ]

How do you replace existing hard drive for a larger one and how to save info on existing device?

Hard drive easy question! Help! And 1 hard one! [ 6 Answers ]

undefined I have two questions first is the hard one I tried out a trial version of "folder locker" which locks up and encrypts (I guess) your deata so no one else can see it when they are on your computer.. it also lkets you lock down entire drives.. so somehow I went to lock down my o drive and...

CDL job and other job [ 5 Answers ]

My brother works for American Airlines and he also drives a truck for FedEx and he was pulled over and arrested for fraud because of his AA job he doesn't not drive a truck for them he works as mechanic but he does drive a truck for FedEx this is in Texas can anyone help me about this PLEASE:mad:

Tax re: Full-time job in NJ and Part-time job in Brooklyn,NY [ 1 Answers ]

Am a Jersey resident working full-time(40 hours, AGI~$60,000) in Jersey claiming 5. May be accepting position in Brooklyn, NY for additional part-time (16 hours,AGI~$19,000-23,000) Have read responses about resident in Jersey working in NY with one job. Since my part-time position is in NY, I...

How do I get a job? [ 13 Answers ]

Hi I have finshed skool now and I don't know how to get a job? Where to go and how? Can anyone please help?

View more questions Search