Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    applejack Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 11:04 AM
    How do I evict adult child who sublet without permission
    I have an adult child I permitted to live in my home because I am away frequently. We have had many discussions about renting a room. This person knows I do not want to become a landlord. I allowed him to live there below market. I insist as an adult they bring something to the table. He has taken it upon himself to sublet to an unknown adult.
    He has accepted money from this person. I refused to accept the money and asked him to move.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2007, 11:07 AM
    How long has this person been there. Your child had no right to sublet. So any agreement he made is void. What happened when you asked this person to move?

Aug 30, 2007, 11:09 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by applejack
    i have an adult child i permitted to live in my home because i am away frequently. we have had many discussions about renting a room. this person knows i do not want to become a landlord. I allowed him to live there below market. I insist as an adult they bring something to the table. He has taken it upon himself to sublet to an unknown adult.
    he has accepted money from this person. I refused to accept the money and asked him to move.
    How do I evict an adult child
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Same way you evict any tenant.

Aug 30, 2007, 11:33 AM
    Is a certified letter asking the child to vacate the property sufficient and what do I do after delivering it. I gave him 30 days. It is addressed to him, et al(all adults in house).

is a certified letter asking the child to vacate the property sufficient and what do i do after delivering it. i gave him 30 days. it is addressed to him, et al(all adults in house).
    Is a notarized certified letter sufficient 30 day notice to vacate.what more am I to do?

is a notarized certified letter sufficient 30 day notice to vacate.what more am i to do?
    thank you
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 07:04 PM
    What state are you in? What sort of lease arrangement do you have? Verbal or written? Do they pay rent? Etc.

The first post in this forum has a link to each state's landlord/tenant laws. That's a good place to start. Assumming you have no written lease, those are the rules you'll be following.

Giving a written, 30 day notice delivered like you stated is the right thing to do. If they don't voluntarily leave within that period you'll have to then move on to formal eviction proceedings.

Give us a little more info and we can be more specific with some answers.

Karla in TX

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Adult son,evict from my home [ 15 Answers ]

How can I evict my 29 year old son out of my house

How to evict an adult child from home? [ 12 Answers ]

Hello - My 18 yr old son needs to figure out life on his own. High school drop out, no job or motivation. He is 6' 4'' and refusing to budge - so how do I go about legally evicting an adult child from family home? Thanks for your advice...

How do I evict adult son? [ 5 Answers ]

I have been trying to help my 26 yr old adult son get his life back together. He is on 2 years probation for making a bad choice of unauthorized use of a vehicle. In other words he was stopped while driving a stolen vehicle however, he was not the person who stole it, just driving it as a favor...

Evict adult child [ 8 Answers ]

How do I evict an adult child from my home in pa?

How to evict adult child [ 1 Answers ]

We have an adult child whom we need to evict. She is 27 years old, works but refuses to help out with any household expenses, rent, utilities, food etc. She prefers to use her money for her personal entertainment. How do we go about evicting her as she has never paid rent to us? wptav

View more questions Search