Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chunkyfaces Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2005, 07:04 AM
    My music won't stay put
    I have all of my albums on my hard drive and I like to have all the songs in one folder and to categorise them my own way. But for some reason I don't know, every so often some of the music will jump back into folders called '<album title>', which are inside folders called '<artist's name>'
    Can anyone help me out here? I really want this to stop happening

Thanks
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2005, 07:16 AM
    Well some progam you are using to either play your MP3's on your PC or to download MP3's from a store is organising the tracks for you.

What do you use to get your MP3's - iTunes? (Please don't say anything like Bittorrent because nobody will be able help you there)
    What do you use to play your MP3's?

You must have an options menu somewhere. Most of them give you an option on how to organise your MP3's - look around for something that states how your tracks will be organised.
    chunkyfaces Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Sep 5, 2005, 09:43 AM
    They are all ripped from my own albums and they all keep on arranging themselves back into folders per album. I don't understand what 'cache' and 'archive' mean in the options menu, although I suspect that they are going to be useful in sorting this out for me

I told the folder to treat the files as documents as oppose to music and I'll see what the results are like when I log on tomorrow

Thanks
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2005, 01:16 AM
    It won't be Windows that is reorganising your music. It's more than likely the program you are using to rip your MP3's from CD. If you let us know what programs you are using to rip the MP3's from your CD and what you use to play them then we'll be able to help more.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Sep 6, 2005, 06:51 AM
    Music
    HI,
    The best place, in my own opinion, is to create a folder, such as C:/My Music, then have all your music placed in this folder. You can then create more folders under My Music, such Pop, Country, Elvis, whatever.
    The problem here is that the music program you are using is placing your music where IT wants to place it, rather than where YOU want it to go.
    If you are using Windows Media Player, you can go to Tools at the top, then click on Options, then one of the tabs at the top. You can set your own "path" for music to go to; like C:/My Music.
    Since I don't know the name of the program you use (such as Windows Media Player), then I can't give exact steps to change the "default" path for that program; changing it to what you want.
    Open your program, then click on either Tools, or Options, and try finding where you can change the path.
    Best of luck,
    fredg
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Sep 6, 2005, 10:44 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    The problem here is that the music program you are using is placing your music where IT wants to place it, rather than where YOU want it to go.
    Gee Fred, Didn't LT say that TWICE before you just rehashed his answer?

Scott<>

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Stay or Go? [ 35 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 11 months. I recently discovered that he's been talking to another woman behind my back (the second time in three months and a different woman from the first time). The first time this happened he explained that he was talking to her for a friend. I let it...

How long must they stay? [ 1 Answers ]

What period must I allow my tenants to 'stay' in my residence after being served with an eviction notice for non-payment of rent? Is the time frame the same throughout the State of Texas or does it vary by county?

Should I stay or should I go? [ 8 Answers ]

I found out about a month and half ago that my boyfriend of 10 months has been cheating with a woman he works with. I must admit I was in the wrong because I found out by snooping through his cell phone records. He was seeing a nurse at the hospital where he works. When I initially found out, I...

Should I stay or should I go? [ 10 Answers ]

Just want to ask your opinion on this... please advise I have a male friend whom I considered as my bestfirend. Believe it or not I'm fifteen years older than him. We known each other for more than five years and that years of friendship is not always good. We have lots of arguments on certain...

How to stay dry [ 3 Answers ]

I would like to no how to stay dry when making love can you please give me the answer

View more questions Search