Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    flameruckus Posts: 93, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2007, 08:33 AM
    Russian or Ukrainian translation
    This is from Start wearing Purple by Gogol Bordello. I'm not sure if it Ukrainian or Russian. Could someone translate it please? Thanks

... I ja kljanus obostzav dva paltza
    Schto muziko poshla ot Zzukov Mu!.
    Party!

... So Vio-Vio-Violetta! Etta! Va-va-va-vaja dama ti moja!
    Eh podayte nam karetu, votetu, I mi poedem k ebenjam!.

I think its about purple like the rest of the song.
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 30, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Well, I don't think it's russian. I just punched it into Google translate, and it didn't translate anything.

It came up with a few of the words when I did it from spanish... so, maybe it's close to spanish? Not italian or portugueese, either.

Aug 30, 2007, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by retsoksirhc
    Well, I don't think it's russian. I just punched it into google translate, and it didn't translate anything.

It came up with a few of the words when I did it from spanish...so, maybe it's close to spanish? Not italian or portugueese, either.

It is russian, I think that Google translate only uses the russian form that I think is called cryllic.
    Russian Bella Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 6, 2007, 06:43 PM
    It is russian. I understoood every word
    It is in latin font. Google uses cyrilic.

Oct 6, 2007, 10:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Russian Bella
    it is russian. i understoood every word
    it is in latin font. google uses cyrilic.
    Thanks. Do you know what it means?
    Russian Bella Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Oct 7, 2007, 08:08 AM
    ... I ja kljanus obostzav dva paltza = and I swear with my two fingers
    schto muziko poshla ot Zzukov Mu!. - For the music to go from the sound of us**
    Party!
    ** I tried to make this phrase work out, because I assume Zzukov = Zvukov = Sound
    and MU isn’t anywhere near Russian. I added of us, because it made more sense.
    ... So Vio-Vio-Violetta! Etta! Va-va-va-vaja dama ti moja! - Vio-Vio-Violetta (NAME) This is. howling lady of mine
    Eh podayte nam karetu, votetu, I mi poedem k ebenjam!. - Ah, pass to us the carriage, this one, and we will travel to the f'd* (as in people).
    * This means the people are just f'd up or, have a f'd up life.
    TheSugarman Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 4, 2009, 04:06 PM
    Or, alternatively, it can be translated as such:

... I ja kljanus obostzav dva paltza = and I swear with my two fingers (similar to English "And I swear on so and so's grave..")
    schto muziko poshla ot Zzukov moo!. = lit. For the music to come from the sound of moos (e.g. music sounds like cows)
    Tiernan Quinn Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Nov 6, 2009, 02:43 PM

hello just want to add a comment on first line.
    heh nobody translated "obostzav dva paltza" the way it is ))) maybe shy?))
    OK "obostzav" - piss on
    "dva" - two
    "paltza"- fingers
    pissing on two fingers - means very easy action(russian expression), so that swearing was easy to give or even meaningless
    alex_1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jul 31, 2010, 04:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSugarman View Post
    Or, alternatively, it can be translated as such:

...I ja kljanus obostzav dva paltza = and I swear with my two fingers (similar to English "And I swear on so and so's grave..")
    schto muziko poshla ot Zzukov moo!... = lit. For the music to come from the sound of moos (e.g. music sounds like cows)

And I swear to God (in this context he is swearing) that music came from "Zvuki Mu". Zvuki Mu has nothing to do with cow. It's russian punk group from 1990 YouTube - Zvuki mu

About second part - O fio fio fio leta, eta, o dama dama dama ti moya, an nuka daite mne keret, vot etu I mi poedem k ebenyam - means:

Oh, my purple lady (fioleta, comes from fioletovy which means a prurple), let's give a carrige and we weill go to the middle of nowhere. (Actually, k ebenyam - is Russian offensive word so I tried to translate it into more polite way). I'n Russian so just trust me. :)
    InfinitySquared Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2011, 09:14 AM
    I've gone through a few Russian and Ukrainian friends I've met through the music world, so I think I've got some solid answers. Eugene Hutz has a pretty wry sense of wit, so when he wants to mask something from the American audiences and wink at his Ukrainian buddies, he just switches languages. He's not quite laughing AT the Americans, but definitely poking fun at them.

"I know it all from Diogenes to Foucalt,
    From Lozechskin to Passepartout..."
    "I ja kljanus obostzav dva paltza
    schto muziko poshla ot Zmuki Mu!"
    Roughly: "It's as easy as pissing on my fingers, to make this crap Zvuki Mu punk music." When you read the whole verse, he's basically saying 'I'm well-learned and sophisticated, no really, *** am I doing making this two-chord stupid punk music? Ah well, the audience likes it.'

The last verse, Alex does an excellent job of explaining, so no sense in repeating him except to get more explicit. Essentially, "Let's go get a carriage and get lost in *****-all middle of nowhere."

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

EU marrying a russian [ 1 Answers ]

I'm an EU citizen, with a full British passport. I currently live in Denmark. I have met, am in love with and wish to marry a russian who is in Denmark on a special work permit. He is here only on this basis. I want to know what implications there are to him in relation to passports etc, if we...

Some new Russian phrases [ 1 Answers ]

I haven't taken any Russian classes, yet. But I have been doing some online studies, and have a Russian friend who has taught me much. I know the alphabet and how to read cyrillic, just not what it all means! Anyway, I know the basic phrases (i.e. da, nyet, privet, da svidanya, spasibo,...

Russian Orthodox [ 3 Answers ]

Forgive me for my naïve question, but I'm trying to learn. :) Long story, but my husbands brother with his wife and children converted from Baptist to Russian Orthodox in the past year. They both were raised in a Baptist family, so it was a bit of a surprise when it all happened. Once they...

Russian Lever [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have my grades in 3 weeks and I'm struggling with my russian lever on beam - any sugestions? :( thanks!

Need Help With Russian Girl [ 1 Answers ]

I live in U.S. I have started process for U.S. K-1 Fiancée visa. Also will have to file hardship petition because I can not afford to travel abroad. Please anyone with any info regarding this subject please help!!

View more questions Search