Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    youngandstupid11 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 07:50 AM
    10 dollar ring cost 140 dollars + rest of my life
    I'm 18 years old, and last week I was arrested for shoplifting, my case was dismissed but I was booked fingerprinted the whole nine yards. I tried shoplifting a ten dollar ring. Now I'm afraid this will cost me a career and everything I've wanted out of life. Will this show up on most background checks? And is it trues after x amount of years arrests 'disappear' from your record. And is this the type of thing to prevent me from getting a job? And what usually shows up on criminal background checks? This is in the state of Massachusetts where they do not have expungements only sealings. A lawyer recommended I do a sealing saying it won't show up on a background check, but a chief probation officer said I shouldn't get it sealed, saying it will show up and they may look into it as assault, battery or something worse. My parents tell me not to worry but all I do is worry I haven't had my usual eating pattern or sleeping. Do you think I should just explain this to future potential employers at an interview/application? When you Google my name my high school honor roll comes up, and I just don't want this shoplifting mistake to define me or be a first impression of me. :confused:

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    jfoxfiregirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2007, 11:16 AM
    In the state of Texas, you can go the Department of Public Safety web site and for about $3.50, you can look up your criminal history. You may check with the DPS of your state to see if they offer the same service. Since the charge was dismissed and the amount of property in question was less than $50.00, it may be classified as a class c misdemeanor which is equilivant to a speeding ticket. If your state does not offer the criminal history check, you may try some of the other web sites that do criminal background checks. There are many online and there is usually a fee for the service. By doing this, it will help to ease you mind to know just exactly what will show up and it will also help to give you some kind of direction in how to handle this information in the future.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 30, 2007, 11:20 AM
    Only convictions will show up on background checks. If the case was dismissed then it shouldn't show. However, if you are ever arrested again, the arrest record would show in a police check.

Aug 30, 2007, 11:53 AM
    Do arrests show up on background checks, also this was in Massachusetts and I live in Rhode Island, do you think potential employers in Rhode Island would do a multi state check?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 12:05 PM
    If you are on the honor roll you have to be a smart person - did none of these potential problems occur to you before you shoplifted?

Most employers are not going to see it. If you apply for a job with the government or contractor that requires clearance, they will see the arrest.

Aug 30, 2007, 12:29 PM
    As Emland and I said, arrests generally do not show on background checks. They are only likely to show for a police or national security check.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 30, 2007, 07:58 PM
    Arrests do not show up in background checks, except for those done for national security but even then, if the case is dismissed you were never guilty, A lot of people get arrested and even go to trial and are found not guilty.

So NO, NO< NO, it will not show up if the charges were dismissed.

I had a couple of arrersts from my wild college days, all dismissed, they showed up on my federal national secuirty and I had to write a letter on each, but they don't hurt since there was no conviction.

Aug 30, 2007, 09:50 PM
    Wow thank you so much I feel a lot better. I think in a few months I will order a CORI in myself and just to see what shows up. I could think of a million reasons to somewhat make myself seem less stupid but it really boils down to a serious lapse of judgement. I have a close friend who is top 10 in my class and she shoplifts seriously all the time. At least all of my friends have shoplifted once. But I'm the one to get caught, and won't ever do it again. I figured if she does it why can't I do it... I guess I wasn't as experienced as her. I do not plan on getting arrested ever again, so I hope to have no further problems, and hopefully this doesn't hurt me too much. I know what I did was wrong but I just want a "second chance". But thank you to everyone who offered help. Also if there's anyone primarily in the Massachusetts area that can help with this/has experience with this; let me know any advice you may have...
    jfoxfiregirl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 09:21 AM
    As another member pointed out, since the charge was dismissed, it may not show up on a criminal background check. The Police may be able to get the arrest report if you ever stopped for speeding. A suggestion I have on this is when you feel comfortable going around law enforcement, you may ask your local police department to pull you up in the system they use to see what comes up there. They may or may not do it, but it may be worth a shot. As a girl who has someone in prison right now, please use better judgement in the future and ask yourself if it is truly worth it. I think you will find the answer to that would be a solid NO! Good luck in you future.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2007, 01:52 PM
    If the case was dismissed then you obviously weren't convicted of anything and so nothing should show up on a background check. Maybe the mere fact that you were arrested may show up but you can honestly say that the charges were dropped and you weren't found guilty.

Sep 1, 2007, 03:42 PM
    All right well let me ask everyone this, do you think this is something I should be worried seriously about, I know it's a serious matter and as much as I wish I could take it back I keep thinking about it; do you think this is something that I should be severely worried about effecting me in the future? I'm really not 100% sure what I want to do when I 'grow up'; I'm not going to be running for president ever but I'd like to do something with my life; people say I'm overanalyzing it and worrying too much but I just want other people's perspectives- be honest please.

-the D.A. said that if he saw this on a record he would see it as some kid being stupid and would hire me... but then again he probably sees and understands cases like this everyday.
    -and do you think this is something I could get by with explaining the situation.

Thanks,
    Worrywart

Sep 1, 2007, 04:46 PM
    The case was dismissed therefore it won't show on criminal background check. I agree with what the DA told you. I think you should just put it behind you and get on with your life, but keep your nose clean.
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 04:52 PM
    I understand that you are now thinking about your future. Did you learn your lesson?

Sep 2, 2007, 06:09 AM
    Obviously... it was the first time I tried shoplifting, and definitely the last.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost of end. Inv. And cost of goods sold under average cost [ 1 Answers ]

It's me again! I have another question to the same problem. In case someone else responds, I'll post the problem again. June 1 inv20051000 June 12 purch.30061800 June 23 purch. 50073500 June 30 inv. I need to compute the cost of the ending inventory and the cost of goods sold using the...

155 want 2 go to 140 [ 1 Answers ]

I am 17 I am about 155 I am 5-7 with about 19% body fat and I want to be around 140 I have ate less and ran more any other tips to lose it because I am not losing any at all help any help would be great thank u

What's the difference between a comitment ring and an engagement ring? [ 13 Answers ]

Can someone please help me here I was wondering what's the difference between a commitment ring and an engagement ring?

I made a mistake that I'll reget the rest of my life. [ 5 Answers ]

Me and my boyfriend have been dating 4 1/2 years. We went through a big rough patch and then things were getting better. But I have a very insecure past and I let my "friends" at the time tell me to tell him that I didn't want to see him anymore.and I let them talk me into thinking that things...

Difference between I-140 & I-485 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, Just wanted to ask you if some one is on i140 or i485 are they allowed to work independently, can they call themselves as permanent residents of USA. If anyone has filled any of these forms, can they work for any other company without sponsorship, or they would still need one.

View more questions Search