RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 06:18 AM
    Here's an article/explanation:
    Metallic Marvels
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Aug 30, 2007, 06:56 AM
    I am not sure that link gives a clear, simple explanation. Let me try. Atoms are made up of protons, neutrons, and electrons. The number protons determines what kind of an atom it is. The number of neutrons and electrons can change and still be the same element. In chemical reactions, such as rusting, the atoms gain, lose, or share electrons. As a metal, iron will give up its electrons to oxygen. It will even give its electrons to the hydrogen in water to combine with the oxygen. If iron as a metal does get into the body, it will rust. The iron in your body is already sharing its electrons with something else.

Think of a bus seat. Two people can share it, or make room for a third. In your lungs, the iron and other parts of the hemoglobin are already sharing a seat or electrons. They make room for oxygen, giving it electrons. The oxygen then gets off in your muscles giving back its electrons. Carbon dioxide then gets on to ride to the lungs. Hydrogen and carbon share their electrons with the oxygen producing energy, water, and carbon dioxide.
    mukul123456 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 23, 2010, 08:27 AM
    It does, but the body is an amazing instrument that has built in systems to balance free radicals

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Diffrence between rusting and corrosion [ 2 Answers ]

What is diffrence between rusting and corrosion?

Rusting drywall tools [ 2 Answers ]

Any thoughts on preventing rust on drywall knives? I wash the with a hose and dry them with a towel or, when available, let them sun dry. I also rub them with steel wool before use to remove whatever surface rust is visible. But after much use the bluing seems to have eroded away leaving bare...

Dishwasher Racks Rusting [ 2 Answers ]

I had a problem with my Jenn-Air, (Maytag) dishwasher racks starting to rust. I had just replaced the front gasket for a leak and didn’t want to spend the $150 for a new rack. So I tried this and seemed to work, you might try this too to save some money. 1). I pulled out the rack, I used a...

Difference between Iron palm and iron fist [ 1 Answers ]

Can someone give me some info on the difference between Iron Palm and Iron Fist training? And also just some overall wushu reference pages and stuff would be appreciated.

View more questions Search