Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Serg Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Sep 4, 2005, 03:29 PM
    Water Overflowing over Washer Standpipe
    I have a 2" PVC standpipe that is 33" tall. It feeds into a 2" P trap (cast-iron) connected to a 2" T. The top of the T is the vent pipe, and the bottom is connected to the sewer line. Using a garden hose, I can open it at max, with no overflow. I ran a snake into the cast-iron P trap (and as far as we could get it in--probably the T) and found no visible grease, debris or other blockages. When my washer drains, however, the PVC overflows (after some time of draining). When we stop the water being pumped out of the washer, the water drains. It just does not take the water at full flow coming from the washer. Our initial thought was that we did not have enough drain capacity, but we have read other posts that suggest that 2" standpipe and 2" line is sufficient. Any suggestions what might be wrong and how to fix it (other than a new sewer line)? (My washer specifies I need a 17 gpm drain.)
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2005, 07:24 AM
    There is a long discussion of this at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/showthread.php?t=10656

Rather than buy a new washer, I would suggest sealing it as Tom suggested. Use a reducer on the 2'' PVC if you need to to get down to the coupling he suggested.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Standpipe Design Question, Washer [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first post to these forums, I've been going nuts trying to find an answer to this question. But first, let me thank Speedball for posting a part of a plumbing code dealing with cutting and notching load bearing walls. 2 1/8 inch bit through the top plates of an exterior wall mid...

Why is my washer machine overflowing? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 7 yr old washing machine that does not shut off once it is filled up? It sometimes does turn off but recently I have even put it on a small load and the water still runs when it goes into the next cycle? Is it some type of sensor that needs to be fixed? Is it an east task and should I try...

Why is my washer machine overflowing? [ 2 Answers ]

What make and model? Yes, there is a sensor. But we need more info

Washer drain overflowing [ 1 Answers ]

The drain that my washing machine overflows during the rinse cycles. We have replaced the pipe and snaked the main pipe (metal pipe where pipes drain to). I have a Sear washer (older 12 yrs model) and it says it requires a 34" in standpipe with diagram showing 34" from floor to top of pipe. We used...

View more questions Search