Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jpetyo17 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 08:47 PM
    Angry red itchy rash
    Hi, I am new here, so I hope I am doing this right! Lol My mom has an angry,red, itchy rash that started about a week ago and now is really bad. It is only on her chest and back and the insides of her elbows. Really red and ugly looking. Any ideas? She hasn't ate or used anything new lately and the only medication she is on, is also not new. I'm stumped. She can't get a dr.'s appt for a week and it is driving her nuts. TIA
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Aug 29, 2007, 08:52 PM
    Man, that could be anything from heat rash to eczema to poison ivy.
    Start with using some over the counter hydrocortisone crème on the rash - should help with the itch. You can try some Calamine lotion as well to see if that helps...

The rule of thumb with rashes is that if it's wet, dry it out. If it's dry, lube it up!

Good luck!

Please rate.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2007, 08:57 PM
    Hummm, I agree with the others. When I came down with scarlet fever I had a similar rash but it started on my stomach... get her to the doc. And have this thing checked out.

Aug 29, 2007, 09:17 PM
    Thanks, she is using a cortisone cream on it and it seems to actually make it worse, although the itching is less intense. She has an appt, but not for a week!
    cpalmist Posts: 137, Reputation: 32

Aug 29, 2007, 09:23 PM
    On her chest, back and insides of her elbows - really seems like a contact dermatitis.
    Dry cleaning? New laundry soap? New dryer sheets?

Stop the cortisone cream, of course. There is also a Benedryl cream as an over-tye-counter (OTC) product you can try as well - might not cure anything but should help the histamine of the itch.

Plez to rate.

Aug 29, 2007, 09:27 PM
    She thought it was from jewelry, but she took her necklace off and it is still getting worse. Besdies that doesn't explain the insides of her elbows, no jewelry there! And no, nothing at all new. She is 79 and doesn't do change well!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2007, 09:46 PM
    If I could I would call the doc, everyday at the beginning of the day and tell them I would take any cancelled appointment, you may get lucky. Also is there an urgent care in your area? It is terrible that she has to suffer another week
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2007, 10:05 PM
    bushg:

My thoughts exactly: See Urgent care - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Itchy rash [ 4 Answers ]

I am 17 and have a rash on my legs, back,belly,arms,hands and is starting to spread on my neck but it only shows when itched I have been to my doctors twice and both times said it was scabies but scabies is contagios but yet know one who I have been in contact with has caught it yet I have had it...

Itchy skin, then red bump like rash [ 2 Answers ]

For a few weeks now, I've been itching extremely bad all over my body. Usually my thighs worst of all. I assumed I was gaining weight and it was just because my skin was stretching(I'm noticing more stretch marks than before). Now all of the sudden everywhere it itches(worse than before!) As soon...

Extreamly itchy rash. [ 9 Answers ]

Hello everyone... first timer here... I have a situation. Its starts with an itch... then after scratching, turns red with really tiny small bumps that you can hardly see. Mostly on outré and inner arm and inner thigh, side of knees... strange... really itches at night and during the day not so...

Itchy skin rash [ 5 Answers ]

I seem to have what this person has, minus the spider bite: red, itchy bumps all over upper arms and legs, as well as a splotchy rash around my neckline that burns like crazy. Thoughts as to what it could be? Help... I'm scaring myself that it's shingles or something. Newsbunny For a few...

View more questions Search