Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mathandler1 Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Aug 29, 2007, 03:09 PM
    Charity Deductions
    So if someone has a AGI of $90,000 and contributed $72,000 in cash to a public charity. What is the deduction allowed to be used for AMAT purpose? By my calcualation it is $45,000. Am I correct? Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 29, 2007, 05:19 PM
    I assume AMAT is AMT (Alternative Minimum Tax).

AMT is NOT an issue for charitable contributions.

However, you can give NO MORE than 50% of your AGI to a 50% charity.

The limit is 30% if the charity is designated a 30% charity.

So if your public charity is 50% (most likely), your answer is correct!
    Mathandler1 Posts: 87, Reputation: 2

Aug 30, 2007, 11:52 AM
    Yes, I did not notice that I added an extra "A", but it is suppose to be AMT and NOT AMAT. Sorry. Thanks. The amount of the deduction also depends on the type of charity receiving the contribution, the type of property contributed, and the applicable limitations. For individuals, the general overall limitation applicable to public charities is 50% of the taxpayer's AGI for the year. Contributions of capital gain property, in which the capital assets held over one year on which a gain would be realized if sold to public charities are generally valued at the property's FMV, but the deduction may not exceed an overall limit of 30% of AGI instead of a 50% limit. Thanks!
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 30, 2007, 01:28 PM
    You seem to grasp the essentials on this one! :-)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I apply for Charity Care [ 4 Answers ]

I've tried searching the internet, including the web sites of various local hospitals but I cannot find the information I need. I know that Charity Care is available in Maryland for people who simply cannot pay for medical care. I just need to find out how to apply - is it through the state? Or...

Donate Use of Home for Charity [ 3 Answers ]

I have a home that is currently vacant, and I was considering letting a charity manage the use of it for at least a year. Are there charities out there that will place people in need of housing into a home like mine?

Charity care for pregnancy [ 3 Answers ]

Hello I am currentyly pregnant and my health coverage that I had was cancelled due to my wages. My employer doesn't have medical insurance coverage for employee's, I am 3 months pregnant and no one will cover me because they say it's a preexisting condition can anyone give me any info as to...

Charity name [ 4 Answers ]

Which charity can I write to get help with finance help for low paid family, need to buy furnitures and a holiday and help with getting central heating installed

Charity contribution [ 4 Answers ]

I have learn so much by reading post here. I gave charity contrybutin to my church every year. I would like to know how is it firgure(formula) How much is allowed each year. Does it affect how much I pay in taxes and what is the cutoff where it does not matter how much I gave. Thank,I...

View more questions Search