Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bomberlouis Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 02:02 PM
    Coming off effexor
    Hi I am a 41 year old woman and I have been on antidepressants called EFFEXOR for 7 years now and I just want to come off them .
    I need to now if any on out there has been on EFFEXOR and just stopped taking them, if so what are the side affects
    Can anyone advise me
    Thanks
    Shaz
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 29, 2007, 02:14 PM
    I was on Effexor XR for several years. Quit cold turkey.

How many mg are you taking per day?

Why do you want to quit?

There are lots of unanswered questions here before I start answering for you.

Also, the side effects are very different for every person.
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Aug 29, 2007, 02:14 PM
    I have no experience with it, but this person does. They outline their experience and what worked for them. Here is the link:

Effexor Exit Stratagy

Aug 29, 2007, 02:36 PM
    Hi j_9
    I am on 200mg a day I feel as if they are no longer helping me and I just want to come off them I no there are different affects for different people I just want to no if there are any servior affects if I just stop taking them
    Thanks
    Shaz
    Expert

Aug 29, 2007, 02:42 PM
    There can be. I had some "brain zaps," mostly at night, so I would go to bed earlier. However, I had some very positive effects too. For instance, my eyesight got better than it had been even before I was on Effexor. I don't recommend anyone stopping cold turkey like I did though.

There are other meds that can replace this. Have you discussed this with your doctor?

Aug 29, 2007, 02:51 PM
    OK thanks for your help I will go and seek advice from my doctor
    Shaz
    Expert

Aug 29, 2007, 02:55 PM
    Never ever self-medicate yourself, and it is equally as important that you not stop without the advice and guidance of the doctor who prescribed the med.

There are some meds that will help with some of the side effects of withdrawal from Effexor, such as Benadryl. It tends to somewhat help with the brain zaps. But it is imperative that you do this under your doctor's direction.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Effexor xr (Scared to death) [ 6 Answers ]

Hi everyone, My gyn has put me on Effexor xr. I am just reading up on this medicine and I am scared to death. I am on my 3rd day and feel nauseous, but other than that okay. What scares me is when it's time to get off it. The doctor said she will only keep me on for one year and then give...

Effexor [ 4 Answers ]

I am thinking about going on Effexor and I just wanted to findout some information before I deside if it is for me or not. One of the main things is that I am also on some other medications and was wondering which meds I shouldnt take with it. If any one has any info that would help a ton!...

Effexor withdrawal tips ? [ 4 Answers ]

I have been on Effexor XR for 3 yrs (along with Lamictal). I was on 350 mg for a long time, dropped to 300 about a year ago, and am now doing a reduction to 225. Today is my first day and I feel like I got run over by a train. Jittery yet exhausted... not sure how much of the aches is becaise...

Adverse effects of Effexor [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I have a question about some unusual symptoms I have been experiencing since doubling my dose of Effexor from 75mg to 150mg. I have been having severe muscle spasms, everything from my legs to my neck. Sleeping is difficult because I wake up frequently due to the spasms. I have been...

Effexor xl [ 3 Answers ]

I am pregnant and was taking effexor xl until the beginning of the six week of pregnancy. I really want someone to give me a clear answer, how much damage have I done to my baby? I have searched on the internet and found no evidence of research on humans in this instance, surely there are women...

View more questions Search