Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Excel running balance formula
    In Excel's help they have a running balance "how to" (below) but it requires the entry of a zero for fields not used.

I'd like to do it like a checkbook register. How can I do it so that whether I enter a deposit or a withdrawal, the balance column will be updated?

Thanks!
    Attached Images

JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Aug 29, 2007, 12:19 PM
    This might help.

Running An Account Balance

Another site:

Adding a Running Balance Calculation Column
    retsoksirhc Posts: 912, Reputation: 71

Aug 29, 2007, 12:22 PM
    The simplest way would probably be to select all three columns, and change them to number format, or money format. You'd still have to copy the formula to the last column, but that's as simple as selecting the bottom cell, clicking the little black square in the corner, and dragging it down.

You COULD do conditionals, but I don't usually do too much with excel, so I don't really remember how. I believe it just gives you two boxes, and lets you put a condition in one, and a resulting action in the other.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 29, 2007, 12:23 PM
    If a cell is blank it should be read as a zero value. I also wouldn't use SUM just =C2+A3-B3
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2007, 12:24 PM
    Hmm. I see now that the zero is only required in the first row to start it off... leaving blanks in rows 2 and onwards works fine :)
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Holy cow, 3 replies while I was typing! Thanks all!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Display formula in Excel [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, Can you please show me how to display all formulas in a spreadsheet? I already calculated the data using formulas in a spreadsheet, now I just want display the formulas. Are there any keyword shortcuts. Many thanks.

2003 Excel - Ethnic Background Formula [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I am trying to put together a "Workbook" in my 2003 Excel. I have one sheet with the TOTAL sorted by Race and Living Situation. Then I have the sites Totals... that I connected to the TOTAL. Now I am trying to make a "everyday" use sheet... where the worker enters Example AA for African...

Excel formula pros needed [ 5 Answers ]

Im pretty good with Excel formulas but not pro enough for this. Is there a way to write a formula that will search for all instances of a certain date on a sheet and if it finds the date, it will take the cells value next to it and add them together?

Excel formula [ 3 Answers ]

I have a column that you manually enter a number; either 0 (zero) or any number greater than zero. I have another column with the formula of: =DAYS360(AN22,AQ22) If the resulting formula figure/number is greater than the manually entered number then I want a third column to equal: $0.00 But...

Excel Formula needed [ 1 Answers ]

I am keeping an inventory in Excel. Let's say I start with 100 units of widgets, I take 20 widgets from the shelf, but return 10 wdgets later because I didn't use them. I need a formula that shows the 100, then I want to show that I took 20, and then have Excel show that I returned 10. Can...

View more questions Search