Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LLRED2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 12:04 PM
    House Settling Problems
    I am unsure who to turn to with our home settling problem. The house is 22 yrs.old and we have lived here for 6 yrs. A couple of months ago we noticed we could no longer use the dead bolt on our back door. Now we have to use a lot of muscle to lift the door when we want to close it. We live in Magna, Utah (Salt Lake County). Who do we call to investigate this problem before it get's worse?
    glavine Posts: 895, Reputation: 87

Sep 1, 2007, 06:55 AM
    Is it a wood door? Im guessing that it is,
    Wood doors will move all year long and it is normal for them to swell and stick. Especially when its humid for a while.
    Tell me this. As you look at your door from the inside,
    Look at the gap at the top of the door is it greater on one side than the other? If it is then the floor has settled, and you may need to jack the floor up to truly fix this.
    Or call a carpenter to do this for you.
    Another fix is something you can do yourself. Open the door and engage the dead bolt, close the door as much as you can and with a pencil make 2 marks atop the and bottom of the deadbolt striker(or bolt). What this will do is show you where the striker is in relation to the keeper,(what the striker goes into to lock the door)
    You may notice the keeper is high or low, just adjust the keeper to line back up with the striker or bolt. Tools you'll need for this would be a utility knife, phillips head or flat head screw driver, hammer and chisel, and possibly a drill and a 1" bit, just incase you have to rebore a hole. i dont think in your case youll have to do this, most likely youll just need to drop the keeper down maybe a 1/4". Good luck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Settling house [ 4 Answers ]

What is the usual solution for fixing a settling home? What happens if you do not fix it? Affording this will be a hardship. We have cracks in the drywall everywhere, shifting concrete blocks, water on the basement walls and cracking on basement walls.

Garage Settling/ Foundation Problems [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I bought a 20 year old house 6 months ago. The garage floor has settled and it slopes down in the middle. If it rains the water will pool into the middle of the garage floor. Additionally, the garage wall closest to the house sits directly above the basement wall.(see attachment) The corner...

How much settling is normal in a new house? [ 5 Answers ]

I was wondering how much settling can be expected in a new home. We've been in our home for 1.5 years. These past few months I have been noticing cracking in ceiling joints, plaster cracking where ceiling meets walls, popping, creeking etc. Can this be normal? Do I just patch and hope for the...

House still settling [ 3 Answers ]

I've lived in my house for 3.5 years. It is a 1/1 condo type townhouse (bought new). There are 7 units in my row of houses. At the first year anniversary, the builder had a contractor come in and fix all settling cracks and joints. At year 2 I fixed all settling cracks and joints. It is now...

Foundation problems or settling? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I was wondering if anyone could help me with cracks appearing in the walls of my house. I have lived here for about two years, and when we first moved in there were no cracks in the walls. Now there are a lot. Most walls are plaster, and the house was built in 1927. Any help would be...

View more questions Search