Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LENA1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Jury Duty
    I am breast feeding single mother, I work 3 days a week(freelancer). I have to work to provide for me and a baby, I pay babysitter when working.
    -How do I get out of Jury duty and be truthful?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 29, 2007, 11:06 AM
    Tell them what you told us.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2007, 07:27 PM
    You can say that, but it's not guaranteed to get you out of jury duty. After all, if you are working three days a week, that means that there are four that you aren't that you can do jury duty on. And breastfeeding is not an automatic reason for dismissal, either.

Best you can do is be truthful about your situation and see what happens. I've been called for jury duty twice, got empaneled once for four days, and the second time just hung around the courthouse for a day before they sent us all home and told us we had fulfilled our obligation. If you can afford a day, your best bet may be to go and just hope that you don't get picked that day.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 29, 2007, 07:42 PM
    Yes you can try, but people who work 6 days a week, don't get excused, just working does not get you out of it.

And with breast pumps and the such, they may not see this as a excuse either.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2007, 06:05 PM
    Write a letter to the court and explain everything you've told us here. Normally lactating mothers are exempt from jury duty.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 2, 2007, 06:11 PM
    I was called for duty many years ago, I explained that it would be a financial hardship on me. They did not make me go. I don't remember the exact details as it was 20 years ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Jury Duty [ 17 Answers ]

I have researched various web sites about avoiding jury duty and many said that judges can be jerks when it comes to dismissing jurors even when they have a valid excuse such as loss of income of health reasons. Most sites said the best way to avoid it is to simply throw away your summons because...

Grand Jury [ 1 Answers ]

What happens after you are indited by the grand jury?

Employer and Jury Duty [ 2 Answers ]

I was picked to serve on a jury that will require me to be away from work for approx 3 weeks. My employer pays 3 days of jury service. I have been making up some time by working a couple hours each day and on a Saturday but the remainder of the time that I am spending in jury duty my employer is...

Grand jury inditments [ 1 Answers ]

How long does the grand jury have to indict you in 30-60 days or longer that is that you are in jail and wating?

Not reporting for jury duty [ 1 Answers ]

My daughter was summoned for jury duty in middle Georgia starting this Monday. She is moving to Texas and is currently in that state. How can she get excused?

View more questions Search