Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    yasmindah Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 08:39 AM
    Tenants lease is up on 31
    Tenants lease is over on the 31st and they are to vacate. Called this morning and asked could they stay an additional 7 days. Do I charge them, do I write up a weekly rental agreement, what do I do?
    JohnSnownw Posts: 322, Reputation: 51

Aug 29, 2007, 08:46 AM
    You have the option to do either one. If you don't have anyone moving in during that time, I would just charge them 1/4 of their monthly rent. It's really up to you.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 29, 2007, 08:50 AM
    I wouldn't bother with a new lease, just tell them they can stay but you will pro-rate their rent. If you do have a new tenant coming in, you need to tell them they have to be out by a certain date to give you time to prepare for the next tenant.

A lot will depend on your previous relationship. If its been amicable and they have been good tenants, then be accommodating. If they have been a pain in the butt, then you might want to get everything in writing.
    yasmindah Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by yasmindah
    Tenants lease is over on the 31st and they are to vacate. Called this morning and asked could they stay an additional 7 days. Do I charge them, do I write up a weekly rental agreement, what do i do?
    Well the tenants actually broke there lease and I agreed to do a buyout for two months they had 5 months remaining now they need 7 extra days to move
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 29, 2007, 10:43 AM
    Well again, its up to you on whether to be acomodating. Definitely, you charge them a pro-rated rent. Whether you want to formalize it in writing you have to decide.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Can tenants who are not on the lease be held responsible for cleaning when they move [ 3 Answers ]

I live in Washington State. I moved in with a woman and her family at thr end of last November. I have since transferred all of the utilities into my name and began paying all of the bills including the full amount of the rent. Her 1-yr lease expired in February at which time the landlord asked...

Buyout tenants lease [ 1 Answers ]

My landlord sold the building in which I been living for the past 16 year's now she want to buy me out I will like to find out what is the amount to ask for and what are rights as tenant thank you.

Can I evict tenants who violate lease by smoking? [ 3 Answers ]

Our tenants are violating the terms of the lease by smoking in their apartment. The lease states no smoking anywhere in the house, smoking is allowed outside behind the house only. Nearly every night there is a strong odor of cigarette smoke in the enclosed backporch outside our backdoor (we live...

Non paying tenants with no lease [ 5 Answers ]

We have a tenant that hasn't paid rent since July. We used his security for August and half of September. In July we asked him to leave because we needed the apartment for our own needs. He has always been late month after month leaving us notes telling us why he will be late. We have been nice...

View more questions Search