Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rabieskittie Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 10:47 PM
    What are some symptoms of a pregnant ferret?
    I have 2 males and 1 female. I do not know if they are fixed, but one of the males has been trying to get frisky with my female. She has been acting weird and nipping a lot. She is not as friendly and generally keeps to herself. This is not her usual personality. Could she be pregnant? What are the symptoms I should look for?
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2007, 11:43 PM
    Hi, I've moved this into the "pets" category, hopefully you will receive more useful advice here :)
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2007, 04:50 PM
    rabieskittie, the best way to get a definitive answer is to make an appt with your vet and have her tested. If she is pregnant, you are going to need to do a lot of research on ferret pregnancy, "birthing" (not sure if that is the right word for a ferret), and taking care of the babies. Your vet is the one that will be able to steer you in the right direction. If she isn't pregnant, get her spayed so that you don't have to worry.
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2007, 05:00 PM
    If you bought both ferrets from a pet store then I highly doubt she is pregnant; by law, the are spayed and neutered before being sold. I would still follow Ruby's advice however.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2007, 05:05 PM
    Thanks rankrank for confirming that. I thought it was the law but I wasn't 100% positive.
    Where I live we have a limited number of rescues that handle ferrets. They are always overwhelmed. :(
    rankrank55 Posts: 1,259, Reputation: 177
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2007, 05:11 PM
    Yeah I've always had a ferret or two in my life... wow ferret rescues!
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Yup. There is one rescue that is solely ferrets. The lady that runs it is truly a wonder! The other two are smaller rescues groups that are located on farms and take in all animals but the amount of animals they can handle are extremely limited. They are always filled up.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2007, 07:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by RubyPitbull
    rabieskittie, the best way to get a definitive answer is to make an appt with your vet and have her tested. If she is pregnant, you are going to need to do a lot of research on ferret pregnancy, "birthing" (not sure if that is the right word for a ferret), and taking care of the babies. Your vet is the one that will be able to steer you in the right direction. If she isn't pregnant, get her spayed so that you don't have to worry.
    Your ferret is most likely spayed. If not, see a vet! An unspayed female ferret that isn't bred can die. From PetEducation.com - The Page You Have Requested Cannot Be Found

Spaying females
    Jills are induced ovulators, meaning that they remain in heat (estrus) indefinitely unless ovulation is induced by breeding. All female pet ferrets should be spayed to avoid the following health problems caused by side effects of being in heat for more than 3 weeks:
    Loss of hair and body weight
    Bladder infections
    Bladder stones
    Bone marrow failure causing anemia, internal hemorrhage, and death
    Ultra Member

Aug 30, 2007, 05:07 AM
    That is pretty distressing information froggy & I hope Rabies reads it. I believe Rank is correct with the info she posted, I thought I had heard that before but wasn't positive if my memory was right. Sounds like Rabies should just bring all of them into the vet to confirm they have all been fixed. It might just be that the females normally nice personality is changing because she is anxious over the males harassing her. Then Rabies is going to have to figure out how to deal with the personality conflicts properly. I haven't a clue on that one!
    rabieskittie Posts: 22, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2007, 12:55 AM
    I found out from Yahoo Answers that ferrets get tattoos on their ears when they are fixed. Two dots for females and one dot for males. All three of my ferrets have tattoos. Thank you for all of your help.
    MEDIstaff4u Posts: 20, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2008, 01:38 AM
    They all get 2 dots! It means that they are 1: descented and 2: desexed!

But other than that, the ferret could just be stressed from the male messing with her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

We fool around (no sex) and she could be pregnant but she's ignoring the symptoms [ 15 Answers ]

okay. Well I am really stressed about my girlfriend she thinks she could be pregnant occasionally her and I fool around but never sex soemtimes I will finger her after I ejaculate or during and we usually wash our hands. Well she has had period on the 13 last month and hers has always irregular...

8 Days late on my Period! NOT PREGNANT! Weird symptoms! [ 13 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Linsay I am 21 years old. I have been looking through all these womens' posts who have had late periods. I am having the same problem. I have taken several pregnancy tests and they are negative. I have already had one baby and I don't feel pregnant, at least not like I did the...

Could I be pregnant, or just having birth control symptoms? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Im just concerned about what could possibly be happening to my body right now, and I hope I don't lose you anywhere. STAY WITH ME! Now, I was put on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo about two months ago. I took that first pack successfully and my period came normally during the forth week of the pack....

Pregnant symptoms? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi! My boyfriend and I have been together for some time now, and have recently been having unprotected sex. Since my last period, I have had many symptoms (according to several websites). I have had four nosebleeds, out of the blue. I have always had problems with acne, but there is some showing up...

View more questions Search