Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    seenbutnotheard Posts: 59, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 07:56 PM
    Exercise = feel bad
    I've had a non stop exercise regiment for the past 4 years, every day I do no less than 2 hours of physical fitness. I run, stretch, lift weights, and do other various activities during the week. I keep doing it and from day one I didn't like it, I thought "I just need to break through and then I'll enjoy it". These 4 years the only thing that has kept me going is the fact that it keeps me fit and healthy. However, I always feel like crap during and for some time after I do all these activities. I thought I would get better but I think 4 years is enough time to see some changes in my state of mind, None.

I'm fit, I'm strong I run fast and stuff but I don't feel good about myself. Around when I go to bed I don't feel good enough to make it through another day. Any ideas?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 28, 2007, 08:05 PM
    Physical does not always equal mental. There may be something else going on that exercise can't and won't cure.

Just because one exercises and eats nutritionally does not mean they will have good self esteem.

Can you please give us more insight?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 08:08 PM
    Based on your other posts I really have to believe that you are depressed.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/mental...nd-119981.html

You really need to seek some medical help with your problems.
    Depression: Signs, Symptoms, Types, and Risk Factors
    Expert

Aug 28, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GlindaofOz
    Based on your other posts I really have to believe that you are depressed.
    Based solely upon the username, I have to believe that it is possible that this person is depressed also.

Aug 28, 2007, 08:50 PM
    Well looks like ill have to tough it out then and see what happens, thanks for the insight everyone.
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 08:51 PM
    Why tough it out?

What you don't have ANY access to psychological help.

Do you live in the US?
    AandZ4ever Posts: 151, Reputation: 5
    -

Aug 28, 2007, 08:54 PM
    Yes, maybe tone it down a bit I mean unless your in high need of jenny craig haha jk but honestly you sound healthy why not just do like 15 minutes? Just don't eat a lot of sugar. Lol hope I helped.
    Expert

Aug 28, 2007, 08:54 PM
    Why tough it out? There are so many options available to you.

Aug 28, 2007, 09:53 PM
    First off I have no reason to be depressed, at least not a valid one. I don't look that bad, I'm fit and I'm alive. There is nothing wrong with me mentally or physically that could cause me to not do something.

Quick summary of the explanation below: I am beyond help.

First off I'm too embarrassed to go so a therapist(don't know why). Why else do you think I came to a forum for help.

Second I'm afraid of it becoming something that would cause me to not get a job or something.

Third I don't believe I'm depressed. I have it so much better than most people, I got parents no money problems as of yet, nothing bad has ever happened to me I really don't have an excuse to be depressed.

Finally, I'm paying someone to listen to me complain about my life to pretend they care what I have to say when I can get that here for free. At the end of the day it's just that a therapist doesn't care if you get better, he wants money and give you a drug to "make" you feel better so he can shove you off to get another patient.

Besides my twisted viewpoint on life doesn't help me either, and depression drugs are a way to cover up the problem not remove it. Where is it going to get me anyway, maybe I like being depressed or whatever it is. I'm just looking for attention I suppose? Or it could be I want someone to feel sorry for me? Which doesn't make since because this is the first time I've ever told anyone that I feel this way and the last. It's not that I don't hide it, it's that no one cares. You asked and like I always say curiosity should never be denied.
    rkim291968 Posts: 261, Reputation: 34

Aug 28, 2007, 11:42 PM
    Instead of exercise, try different sports. You may end up enjoying one.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 11:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seenbutnotheard
    I've had a non stop exercise regiment for the past 4 years, every day I do no less than 2 hours of physical fitness. I run, stretch, lift weights, and do other various activities during the week. I keep doing it and from day one I didn't like it, I thought "I just need to break through and then I'll enjoy it". These 4 years the only thing that has kept me going is the fact that it keeps me fit and healthy. However, I always feel like crap during and for some time after I do all these activities. I thought I would get better but I think 4 years is enough time to see some changes in my state of mind, None.

I'm fit, I'm strong I run fast and stuff but I don't feel good about myself. Around when I go to bed I don't feel good enough to make it through another day. Any ideas?
    I agree with you, exercises as physical regiments can be enjoyed only by some and I am not one of those.
    I enjoy walking,maybe a bit of skipping (been a while since I did that though),swmming (and not like an exercise swim,but slow languid enjoying the feel of the sea types),playing catch with my daughter.

Depression need not be something that would feel like you need to kill you yourself,but sometimes it is subtle like sadness that stays with you all the time,mental tiredness that you feel,or it could even be like a niggling doubt about where/how/who you want to be in life.

If you wish someone to talk to, this forum is a good place to start, you maybe surprised to know how many members may have gone through what you are...
    Who knows some may even have found a solution for this problem you think which does not exist:)

Aug 29, 2007, 01:55 PM
    I play football, basketball, baseball, track, and golf. They are the only sports my school offers and I hate each one of them. Every time I start to practice and stuff it just makes me want to quit.
    Ultra Member

Aug 29, 2007, 01:58 PM
    Why do you not believe us when we say that based on what you have told us you have all the classic symptoms of being depressed.

When you are depressed nothing in your life holds any joy. You don't need a change of sport sbnh.

If you live in the us you can receive care at low to no cost through your county mental health services dept.
    Abs_1986 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 11:15 AM
    I agree with rkim, I have always tried to maintain my health but always hated the gym or running, its just boring!! I have taken a different approach now, I play hockey twice a week for strength and cardio. I golf for a good abdominal workout. I do still lift weights but usually I do a quick total body workout twice a week for an hour. Why do you work out? To feel good? So if you don't feel good, take another approach.
    Abs_1986 Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2007, 11:18 AM
    Oh yeah, I'm her fiancé on her account <------------- Im 6ft 185lbs and am in great shape

Sep 1, 2007, 02:35 PM
    Last question then I'll see what I can do to get help.

Is there a way to become undepressed (if you will), without help?

And will going to get help cause me to not get a job, like a Nuclear reactor technician because you can be considered a liability
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2007, 02:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by seenbutnotheard
    Last question then i'll see what I can do to get help.

Is there a way to become undepressed (if you will), without help?

And will going to get help cause me to not get a job, like a Nuclear reactor technician because you can be considered a liability
    I will let someone else answer the part about whether therapy sessions will be a liability in you job application.

I would just like to advise you that if your depression issues are not solved you yourself will be like a ticking time bomb, and it will affect your private and public life.

Here's some alternative links on depression...
    ------------------
    http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedi...eflexology.htm
    Reflexology

Traditional Chinese Medicine have long touted the benefits of stimulating certain points along the body that correspond to specific organs or body parts. Foot reflexology is based on this theory. The reflexologists says that the bottom of your foot is covered with points that correspond to various body systems and parts. Massaging these points, either stroking them or applying pressure, releases tension and blockages that prevent the flow of energy and stimulates the circulation of blood. Reflexology also helps crush small "crystals," or deposits of lactic acid, that settle in your feet. Once they are broken up, they can be reabsorbed into the body and the waste can be eliminated by the lymph system.
    Locating Reflexology Points

A few points are useful in alleviating depression. Refer to a book for the exact location of the points in your foot. A spot in the center of the big toe corresponds to the pituitary gland. Just above and to the side (toward the inside of the foot) of this point is another small point that refers to the pineal gland. In the center of the ball of your foot is a spot that corresponds to the thymus, and on the ball of the foot underneath your big toe is a point that refers to the thyroid and parathyroid glands. Since all of these glands-pituitary, pineal, thymus, thyroid, and parathyroid-are associated with emotional stability and mental health, massaging them or applying pressure to them can help to relieve your depressive symptoms.
    Suggested Process

To deal with depression use a two-part session for your hands or feet. On one day, work the solar plexus, diaphragm, chest, lung, shoulder, arm, neck, heart, pancreas and thyroid, parathyroid and adrenal gland reflex points as well as all of the points on the tops and bottoms of the toes, paying special attention to the brain and pituitary gland. Also work the hypothalamus points on the feet. The next day, switch to the shoulder/arm, neck and throat points. Also work the breast/chest and thymus points on the feet.

Note: Reflexology should be a relaxing experience for you. If you're the kind of person who does not really like having your feet touched---or you're ticklish-it's probably not a good therapy for you!
    ---------------------------------------
    http://www.holisticonline.com/Remedi...meditation.htm
    Meditation

Meditation is useful in relieving mild episodes of depression. Meditation has a very calming affect. It helps to ease tension, and improves your capacity to concentrate. As you meditate, you also become much more attuned to your inner feelings and sensations, achieving a heightened state of awareness. Rather than dwelling on the negative emotions that are making you feel depressed, you can transcend them through meditation. This kind of personal growth, in which you gain a higher level of consciousness and greater awareness of yourself, can help to bolster your self-confidence, esteem, and peace of mind. Your mind is free to travel beyond the busy chatter of thoughts to a silent, tranquil place. In turn, a positive emotional outlook and sense of well-being can help you maintain good physical and mental health.

A state of pure awareness, in which the mind is free from thought, allows you to find moments of clarity when you feel happy and free rather than plagued by depression. If you meditate consistently, these moments will grow longer and eventually will become a normal state of existence. You will realize that this tranquil state exists within you at all times, and you merely become distracted from it by negative thoughts and illness. By practicing meditation, you can transcend the negative feelings, and eventually they will fall away of their own accord.

If you find it difficult to meditate, try making a tape recording of the following exercise. This will help you relax, and once you are able to achieve this state of relaxation at will, it might be easier for you to meditate.

How to Make the Tape: Speak in a slow, even tone. Allow pauses between each sentence so you have ample time to follow and feel each instruction. After making the tape, try following it and rerecord if you need space between sentences.

Close your eyes and let your limbs hang loose and free. (pause)
    Let your shoulders drop. (pause)
    Feel the tension release from your head and neck. (pause)

Take deep breaths in. (pause)
    Feel the air filling your lungs. (pause)
    Exhale slowly. (pause)
    Feel your forehead and face muscles relax. (pause)
    Let the frown lines slip away. (pause)
    Feel your shoulders relax and the tension disappear from your back. (pause)
    Remember to keep breathing, slowly, deeply. (pause)

Focus on the air moving in and out. (pause)
    Let go of the tension and feel your body grow warm and heavy. (pause)
    Your arms are limp and comfortable. (pause)
    Feel the blood flowing through your body down to your fingers and toes. (pause)

You may feel a tingling sensation. (pause)
    Your legs are also limp. (pause)
    Feel them grow heavy and warm as the blood flows through them. (pause)
    Continue to breathe deeply. (pause)

Let the tension flow away and the comfort and warmth take over your body. (pause)
    The room is dim and quiet. (pause)
    Your mind is emptied of all thoughts. (pause)
    You feel at peace. (pause)
    Continue to breathe, inhale and exhale. (pause)
    Continue to feel relaxed and calm. (pause)

When you are ready, slowly become aware of your presence in the room. (pause)

When you are ready, slowly open your eyes. (pause)

Continue to feel relaxed, calm. (pause)
    Take your warmth and comfort with you. (pause) You are refreshed and calm.

You will find that practicing this relaxation exercise is both soothing and refreshing. It is an easy, cost-free therapy to combine with other treatments in the treatment of depression. You can also, if you prefer, buy professionally recorded relaxation tapes. For best results do this meditation at least once per day.
    ----------------------------------------------
    Hope these are helpful in some way.

Sep 6, 2007, 08:59 PM
    Well, I was talking to a doctor (physician?) on the phone giving my symptoms he said I might have an Hiatal Hernia. I'm going to see him this weekend, I'll let you guys know what happens.
    LOSTnNC Posts: 19, Reputation: 3

Oct 8, 2007, 02:34 PM
    Well First off being depressed doesn't depend solely on something or actions or events to be depressed I know depression runs in the family for me it's a chemical thing no doctor knows entirely why one person gets depressed for no reason and another will if something happens.Ill admit events tend to trigger depression but its not the whole cause what I'm trying to say is as fit and as healthy as you say then I wander how were you treated in school and growing up and were you ever diaignosed with a learning disabilty such as add or adhd I'm just curious also going to a shrink is not a bad thing just need to find a good one they can and do do wanders ;}
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 8, 2007, 04:10 PM
    I am 52 5' 2" and 130 pounds and healthy and NEVER exercise BUT when I work I work hard~lifting appliances, hauling, light construction and so forth. I am healthier now than I was at the first 40 years of my life. What you might try is herbal nutrition for energy and depression. Even if you eat good, the foods we get now are so full of preservatives and chemicals and the nutrition is out of them before they get to the store shelf.
    Here is a site you might want to check to see if it is what you would want to try.
    Study each one and pick what you think would help the best.
    If they aren't helping after a month try some others. A few herbs you have to check if they are safe for you or interact with any medicine you take safely, or if they have side effects (rare) or if you shouldn't use them long term.

For energy I take vitamin B complex, gingko bilboa, Co Q 10, royal bee jelly (don't take if allergic to pollen or bees) and antioxidents.

In the afternoon I take vitamin C, vitamin E and Quercetin

At night I take Calcium, magnesium 200 mg, potassium (for leg cramps) and vitamin D

Herbs For Depression

P.S. you sound like you over do it - slow down a bit!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Now I feel bad. [ 21 Answers ]

okay, so most of you know about my dad because like its everywhere. well a couple months ago he turned off my cell phone, and today it came back on and I think its because his x- and I made him feel guilty for not being there for me.. now I feel bad. I think another reason he turned it...

He can't feel my orgasm.bad? [ 3 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- When I orgasm he can't feel it.. my boyfriend claims he could feel it with his ex's... does that mean that I'm not tight enough or is it that some women have more intense ones... hes says I'm not loose and I'm...

I feel bad [ 12 Answers ]

I have been at the same job for 10 years... I have recently found out that I have COPD and that because of previos accidents I am unable to do my job to its full extent... I gave my notice but now I feel like I have let my boss down... I am so confused... I culd do the work but my body would not...

Should I feel bad, am I off base? [ 19 Answers ]

My boyfriend (of 17 months) got together with his almost exwife and grown children for Christmas and they all exchanged gifts. I know that she wants him back, but I am sure he does not want to get back with her. I didn't mind the gathering because it is being good to his kids. After the...

Should I feel bad? [ 2 Answers ]

Well I've been on again off again with this same guy for about 3 years now.. although our relationship efforts never seem to work, I guess cause we're both so much alike and stubborn we both care about each other a lot. Through these years we've both attempted seeing other people, but for some...

View more questions Search