Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jonthomas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 06:56 PM
    Copy of lease
    If I haven't received a copy of my signed lease 3-4 months after I signed it, can get out of this lease by considering it void?
    Emland Posts: 2,468, Reputation: 496
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 07:03 PM
    A contract does not become void simply because you don't have a copy of it.
    Jonthomas Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 28, 2007, 07:10 PM
    Isn't it required to by some state laws that the tenant is entitled to have a copy of the lease after signing it?
    jillianleab Posts: 1,194, Reputation: 279
    Ultra Member

Aug 28, 2007, 07:18 PM
    It might be required by law that your landlord give you a copy of the lease, but if he doesn't it doesn't void the whole agreement. Get a copy, look at the terms, evaluate your situation, and try to get out of it legally. If you tell us your problem we might be able to help, but usually leases are pretty difficult to get out of.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 28, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Correct if they don't give you a copy they are merely in violation of that law, I am sorry I don't understand people not getting a copy on the day they sign it, don't landlords have two or three copies, you sign one and they give you another one at the time you sign their copy??

I would not leave a office without one,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to enforce lease term/collect due rent when tenant breaks lease [ 8 Answers ]

My tenant who signed a 12-month lease in November just told me she is moving out in less than a week. She took it upon herself to prorate this month's rent. I would like to enforce the lease agreement and collect the rent for the remaining months of the term, but I need to know how to go about...

Student Housing lease signed, no lease or security deposit. Can I cancel lease? [ 2 Answers ]

I have a student housing house. I require a $200 non-refundable lease deposit within 15 days of signing the lease (in this case it was due March 15). A $300 secutity deposit due June 1, and the rent less the lease deposit due August 28. I have a student that signed the lease, but never sent...

Is verbal & emailed copy of commercial lease binding without signature? [ 1 Answers ]

Saw a commercial property on Monday, in New Hampshire. Told landlord I would take it. He told me he would email me a copy of the lease and then get me the keys. (no money yet exchanged) Received an email of the lease with all of our information placed in it. Was told move in date of Aug, 1st-...

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

Landlord Refusing to Give us Copy of Lease [ 5 Answers ]

I'm going to live in a house in New Brunswick, NJ with a couple of other people and we all signed the lease. Some of us paid for our security deposit and rent already, but some of the others us didn't. The landlord is refusing to give us a copy of the lease until more of us pay, although we're...

View more questions Search